Renault 5.....sort of

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
this is going to need a bit of explaining...........im doing this for a MILF thread on another forum.......Model Id Like to Finish

bought this kit many many years ago........at the time i was making lots of car kits (how tastes change :rolleyes: ) and i got it simply cos it was something a bit 'normal'

however its a complete dog of a kit!....panels dont fit right and i made a hash of the paint job........so it got thrown back in the box

around the same time i did a kit bash on the venerable Tamiya Mini to turn it into a grasstrack racer, inspired by the car by brother used to race in the early 90s

and my plan was always do something similar to the Renault rather than just chucking it all in the bin.......but its sat in the stash for a very long time

so now its time to pull it out and have a crack at it

starting with this box of bits

plan is to remove the rear/passenger seats....maybe drivers if i have a better one in the bits box.....build a rear bulkhead......cut down pasenger door for access......roll cage......mesh for the screen......maybe different wheels.....maybe dent it a little,........some kind of paint job (back then on the real deal we used a tin of dulux and a 3 inch paint brush lol)......see what decals are in the stash and maybe some muddy stuff

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
thought id throw in a couple of vids, all in the name of research dont you know lol

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
im really getting into this........no instructions, making it up as i go along, improvising, bodging at its best

the body has been stripped of paint....must have done it silver originally before changing my mind and doing it yellow.........cut down the right hand door for easy access since its a left hand drive.....then realised that since i was removing the dashboard i could have easily turned it into a right hand drive!....doh!.......added mesh to the screen.......that was from some kind of sauce pan splash guard from the Pound Shop.......floor of the car has been sprayed white as is normal but i think i will have to do it again since ive been playing about making a (not quite legal) roll cage from bits and pieces.....made a race harness for the seat from some 4mm ribbon

next stage is to finish off the roll cage then think what colour im going to do the body shell

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Nice. Mate of mine had an R5 turbo when we were younger, it's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves with it.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
quick update

this is the floor pan, used the existing seat but added a seat belt made from some 4mm ribbon from somewhere, a little overscale but it will do, the rollcage is a bit of a cage from a dodge charger or challenger and some scrap sprue and some tubing

im spraying the shell at the moment, hope the masking tape comes off easy

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
and for those that my pichost didnt like,............

15dwf39.jpg

T

Tony

That looks a fun project you have been working on. Just goes to show what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Really like the red and white.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks every bit a proper grass tracker paul , except for one thing - MUD ,which its going to get caked in next!!!!
Top work mate and a great upcycle of an old bench queen

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
decided not to over do the mud

more pics in the finished thread

90txu1.jpg