resin or photo etch

greatbear

SMF Supporter
can any one point me in the right direction first off i have worked with resin but here goes i have a trumpeter 1/48 F14 A i went and bought the aires resin cockpit set but at the same time i bought a coloured photo etch set so do i fit the resin in the 14A or fit oob parts and use the photo etch if i use the photo etch is there anything else the resin set will fit ie tamiya 1/48 F14D

Regards Keith

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Keith,
the F-14D was a major upgrade - the cockpit instrument panels changed to all glass displays ( and different ejector seats ) - so, a F-14A cockpit/panel is not applicable to the 14D - as to whether it would fit? , the only way is to try! Why not use the resin & the PE?
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m not up to speed on what these sets actually provide, but I would start by comparing the two, and using whichever of the two seems more detailed. As Dave suggests you could probably combine the two, depending on what exactly is in the sets. For example, if the photoetched set provides better instrument panels than the resin one but the resin set has better seats and other parts, you could see about fitting the etched parts for the panels plus the resin detail bits.

(Added tip: You can change your posts — within a few days of making them, anyway — by using the Edit link at bottom left of the message. This would let you replace “Trumpeter” with “Hobby Boss” in your opening message, for example.)

greatbear

SMF Supporter
Keith,
the F-14D was a major upgrade - the cockpit instrument panels changed to all glass displays ( and different ejector seats ) - so, a F-14A cockpit/panel is not applicable to the 14D - as to whether it would fit? , the only way is to try! Why not use the resin & the PE?
Dave
Hi Dave thought of doing that but there is so much detail on the resin cockpit seems a shame to sand it off