Return to a stalled build - WW1 trench attack

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Wire looks great. I'm sure the 0.2 wire will be spot on. I'm probably missing the obvious but what does the "little contraption" do?
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter
Wire looks great. I'm sure the 0.2 wire will be spot on. I'm probably missing the obvious but what does the "little contraption" do?
Jim
if I can make it without breaking the wire, the wire may just be a bit thin - time will tell. in the meantime I'm keeping the .3m wire.

The contraption is a cheap home-made clamp, the 3 pegs holding stuff in different directions while the hole in the middle is for holding small bits on the ends of cocktail stick and the like. Simple but it works.

Peter

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Re the barbed wire - I have tried it with 0.1mm copper wire. I found it almost impossible to get the barb loops close enough together for something approaching scale representation

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
0.1mm - you are a brave man Simon - did you have any problems with it snapping?

peter

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Evening Peter - managed to twist some longish lengths before it snapped but the main problem was with trying to wind the barb loops as they need to be spaced between 2 and 3mm for 1/35. I just can’t get consistent spacing - still trying to devise some clever solution but so far all attempts have failed miserably

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for the pdf Peter, I've down loaded it, then can refresh if I get that brave!

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
...the main problem was with trying to wind the barb loops as they need to be spaced between 2 and 3mm for 1/35. I just can’t get consistent spacing - still trying to devise some clever solution but so far all attempts have failed miserably
Would it work if you put something like a thoothpick against the main-wire, and then 'loop' around the toothpick, then remove thoothpick and repeat for next loop?
...If that makes any sens...

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Would it work if you put something like a thoothpick against the main-wire, and then 'loop' around the toothpick, then remove thoothpick and repeat for next loop?
...If that makes any sens...

i thinnk it might work, the only problem you would need three hands. But perhaps a piece of plastic card with a slot cut in it which would grip the wire? I may give this a try when the wire arrives.

peter

D

Deleted member 7181

Peter, how about some narrow reverse tweezers? They would grip the wire and act as a consistent spacer. Just a thought.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

a bit distracted on other stuff, but I have had a go at the barbed wire using this wire I bought:

7665C210-6677-465E-A71F-C9B60552B21D.jpeg
it is good quality wire and very easy to use - it holds its shape without springing out of shape. Unfortunately it is so shiny and polished that the twists which make the barbs slide along the wire far too much. i've found some different fuse wire at 0.25mm diameter so when that arrives i'll have another go. In the meantime its bach to sculpting a bust - officer of the Royal Regiment of Scotland in Mess Dress

Reactions: JR

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi Peter. Looking good! I had the same problem making the barbed wire for this chap. My first attempt was way over scale so I used 0.15mm copper wire, incredibly fiddly and I had to put a dab of CA on each barb to stop them moving. The screw picket was made from steel wire left over from a trip-flare I think - about 0.5mm - wound around a cocktail stick. Keep up the good work.

_20181214_223003.JPG

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

here are the results of the 0.25mm wire. It worked quite well. A little bit of the barba sliding, but thag was sorted by using some a burnt umber oil paint wash whihc fixed the barbs in place when it dried.

here is a photo of the wire in place:

EE4BB367-9C17-4A64-B619-AF1744B859D6.jpeg

I will crush the wire and a couple of the posts when the tank is put in place - just need to get some epoxy glue tomorrow to securly fix the tank in place.

next the figures!

peter

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Peter - barb spacing still looks rather erratic but overall, strung between the screw pickets, it conveys barbed wire

I'm still thinking on how to get consistent 2mm spacing.......:thinking:..........

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Simon

i agree, but hope that by the time the tank is in place, and the figures as well as other bits and pieces the differing gaps will not be too noticable.

i think I might have another go in a few weeks time, but this time not as part of a specific build, that way there will be no pressure on finishing the wire.

didn't get a chance to get the epoxy glue, so thet's my job for tomorrow , and fixing the tank in place.

peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanks Peter - now my figures can bring the standard down! Its been quite a while since I painted in 1/35

petet

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

it's been a while but here is the first figure - a Tommy who will be to the side of thd tank looking down into the trench.

The eagle-eyed will immidiately notice a lack of fingers. These will be added now the rifle is in place, and that could only be positioned after I had painted him. After the fingers are added and painted, a little more refining the shadows, add a bit of mud to the feet and he will be fixed in place.

Time to mix a very small amount of putty ...

Peter

EFB3F2C3-D4FB-4584-ADF1-E6BB0813F267.jpeg