Returning to hobby after one year break

K

karoliens

Hi guys,

As title says I am willing to return to hobby after one year break. One of the reasons that I stopped was not able to lay nice glossy clear cote. :smiling3: As I mostly build car models that's very important for me. But I am ready to give another shot.

Previously I was using Vallejo Model Air colours and Mr Surfacer 1200 primer and was quite satisfied with the results of both.

As for the glossy varnish I was using Vallejo Polyurethane Gloss Varnish, but couldn't get good results. I tried various pressures, thinning ratios but nothing seems to work for me. The problem that I was getting is that even the when the paint was smooth as soon as I applied varnish it dried to orange peel finish and the model was ruined.

This time around I decided to get new paints, primer and varnish. I went for Mr Hobby Aqueous colours, Stynylrez primer (I wanted to get Ultimate primer, but it's not in stock and I read Stynylrez is the same), Alclad II Aqua Gloss varnish. I don't think primer or colours will give me any headaches, but still it would be nice to know ratios or pressure to start with. I have Mr Hobby Aqueous Colour Thinner, Mr Color Leveling Thinner, Vallejo Airbrush Thinner. I read that you could spray Alclad II Aqua Gloss without thinning, but I haven't bought any thinner for Stynylrez primer. Could I use any of those that I have with it?

My Setup:
H&S Evolution Airbrush with 0.4 and 0.2 needle
Compressor with a tank
Spraybooth

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Welcome back to the hobby, Unfortunately I cannot help with the paint for high gloss finishes, but there will be someone who can.

D

Deleted member 7181

Stynylrez is best used neat, so no need to worry about a thinner for it.

Aqua gloss too. I've only used it a couple of times but I'm quite impressed. Build it up in light coats or it'll not end well as it's very thin so can run or separate easily.

For a really high gloss clear you can't go far wrong with Mr Color GX-100, or the newer GX-112 which supposedly adds UV protection. Both are lacquer products so very pungent, but you already have some of their levelling thinner for it so are probably aware of that.

I'm sure there are plenty of other options but those are the ones I use.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive recently started using Mr Hobby Aqua gloss and im VERY impressed............far superior to Vallejo for that sort of finish

i always use the proper thinner, @20%ish......20 to 25 psi.....works for me but might not for any one else

K

karoliens

Thanks for the suggestions. Once I'll receive the supplies I'll try on some scrap and let you know how it goes. On a different topic does anybody know what's the shelf life for glue. I'll have Bob Smith Industries Super-Gold+ and Maxi-Cure. It does not look like liquid anymore but more like thick substance. I could still apply it but it does not cure in 10sec as it says on the can. Should I just throw it out? If that's the case it's a pity because it's half full. :sad:
Also any tips how to open Mr Hobby Aqueous bottle since the cap is seized. And any prevention against for the future?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Also any tips how to open Mr Hobby Aqueous bottle since the cap is seized. And any prevention against for the future?

good question cos i had one seized on a few days a go.....thought i was going to sprain my wrist getting it open......started wiping the rim of the pot before i put the lid back on

got a feeling that Mr H or Tamiya actually make a tool to help.....sort of rubber band thingy to get extra grip

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've had my issues with seized bottle caps in the past.........this doesn't work 100% of the time but holding it under running hot water for a few minutes has broken them loose for me. Hope this helps. Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
K

karoliens

I've had my issues with seized bottle caps in the past.........this doesn't work 100% of the time but holding it under running hot water for a few minutes has broken them loose for me. Hope this helps. Rick H.

That helped a lot.

K

karoliens

I've received supplies already and had a chance to try Alclad Aqua Gloss. I have this stuff is amazing. I spray it straight from the bottle @20psi and put two medium layers. Very happy with the result and should have bought this earlier. Just one question - do you think I should put more coats if I'm planning to polish it later?