Revel 1/72 Lancaster

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Another Chrimbo pressie, this time from my son. New tool in 2007 and it doesn't look too bad. Panel lines are a bit canyon like for the scale, but most parts are crisply moulded. A couple suffer from lots of flash, but they are few and far between. The old style instructions aren't the best, especially on the paint side. There were no demarcations for the two interior colours so I had to guess, and one part is marked up to be painted in different colours depending on which step of the instructions you are looking at!

I won't go mad with the blog on this but here are some shots of today's progress.

Decent box art and the only reference I've got to work from so I hope it's accurate :smiling5: The fact that it doesn't show the rows of side windows is a concern, as they are likely to be the biggest headache when it comes to painting.

6ezIA9V.jpg

Revell called out a cocktail for both of these colours so I just went with interior green and German Grey, which seemed near enough.

mnd1B16.jpg

Very sparse 'pit. There are decals for the IP, radio stuff and belts, but I haven't decided whether to use those or paint the details myself.

d1n9P08.jpg

The German Grey I used was the from the new AK Gen3 acrylic range. It sprayed remarkably well, with a bonus that I could use the exact same shade to brush paint some of the other items. Even really close up it has a decent finish, and dried quite quickly. The green next to it is Mr Color, which was masked up about 10 minutes after it left the airbrush. Even though they both went on top of Mr Surfacer primer I wouldn't risk doing that with an acrylic. Please ignore the pin marks, I am :upside:

vS3w177.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 7181

Ah, thanks Alan, I'll look into that. It would sure save a lot of masking!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ignore the pin marks, sure thing. I do ! I know we go over the top with interiors, but I've got a 1:72 Lanc. sat on the shelf and I haven't tried to look inside the cockpit for years.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start Andy , are you doing the box top version with the yellow fins ? Makes a colourful change from the usual lancs we see . Cheers tony

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ignore the pin marks, sure thing. I do ! I know we go over the top with interiors, but I've got a 1:72 Lanc. sat on the shelf and I haven't tried to look inside the cockpit for years.
Totally agree with Colin on the interior detail. The amount of times Ive assembled a 1/72 model only to find the hours of work spent on the interior were wasted because you just cant see it through the canopy. Great start on this one. Looking good.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Nice start!

Re the side windows, I believe Alan is right about them being painted over.

I am NOT an expert on anything plane related but I came across a build blog on the Airfix forum for the Airfix Lanc I have, which said exactly that and even had pics of the actual aircraft from somewhere online to prove the point.

Suggest you try and find examples of the actual aircraft that you have the decals for to see if you can find any pictures online to confirm either way.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,

From ww2aircraft.net

lanc.jpg

I'm no expert on the "Lanc" but from what I have read - early/mid production "Lanc's" had the
small windows painted over. Later war "Lancs" were built without the windows.

The "Lanc" had a serial No LM739 - and first saw service in September 1944.

HTH.

Paul.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Turns out quite a big model even at 1/72. Nice start. You usual very neat, careful work.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for all the help & advice chaps. I'm at work today but will have a scout through the links later.

Tony, yes, pretty sure I'll be adding the yellow. Like you say it adds something different.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The link I posted above explains the yellow fins, used to denote lead AC in the last major raid in the war, worth doing for that reason alone in my opinion ;) Of course, YMMV....

D

Deleted member 7181

Bobbling along with this but starting to think I'm way out of my depth. I need instructions in plain English, not Ikea type pictograms that hint at what you might have to do lol.

The two halves of the long tube bit went together reasonably well, plenty of tape was used just to make sure it didn't move as I worked my way around.

kEA35aa.jpg

The big and small flappy things that stick out of the sides also fitted together well, needing just a light swipe with a sanding stick on the joints

czoR0US.jpg

The bigger ones seemed to look better at the front so that's where they went. Some bits of foam under the ends stopped them drooping as the glue dried and lead to a very tight joint at the top and acceptable underneath.

8PO6rpR.jpg

Then we get to the lumps that fit onto the flappy things. The outer ones weren't too bad, just a hollow casing with fake exhaust tubes. Opening out the venty things was a pain but it took my mind off losing the part that lets the props turn. Looks like they'll be fixed in place...

6C5iEOk.jpg

The inner lumps were a whole different ball game. Many parts and braces were fitted into the wheel wells. The engines were built up along with their carrying frames, all painted up nicely as instructed, only to realise it's all completely invisible once fitted. It was a wrestle to get the engine/frame/exhaust into the lumps, as I think whoever scribbled the instructions forgot that the exhaust pipes would get in the way, so I stripped the assembly back down, and reassembled it, keyhole surgery style, inside the lump.

Upon trying to fit these lumps it was clear we'd had a malfunction somewhere. I forced them into place the best I could, splitting them both and cracking one in the process (centre foreground in the picture) and ended up leaving some nice ventilation slots between them and the flappy bit.

WcuI3ok.jpg

I couldn't see any sign of these slots on the few tiny pictures on the box so figured it must be a mistake and a huge gap instead, so got the milliput out. That seems to have gone off, wasting 95% of the pack, so nicked some Green Stuff from my lad. That has to be one of the worst materials I've ever used, but eventually managed to get some into the big gaps. The smaller ones were gradually filled with several layers of Vallejo putty, swiped in with a finger.

I now have dozens of decisions to make about which bits need to be painted before fitting, which can be masked and painted on, which bits of which parts are clear or painted, and all that jazz. Again the instructions are of very little help, only showing a rough idea of what colour some of it should be, not where the demarcations are or how you are supposed to go about it. At the moment it seems like I'll be painting this in about 50 different pieces, then nailing them together with my nemesis, CA glue, afterwards.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Green Stuff […] has to be one of the worst materials I've ever used, but eventually managed to get some into the big gaps.
It’s not a filler as much as — originally — a sealant and repair material for plumbing. Yes, seriously — that’s why it’s a bit flexible when cured. Nowadays, it’s more a sculpting medium, which probably also doesn’t make it a great filler.

I own two fairly large sticks of it (maybe 20 cm long and 3 cm thick) for years and have never actually thought of a use for it that my other putties wouldn’t work just as well for. I’m thinking I’ll try it for weld beads on the Crabs I’m building, and then mainly because it will be visible against the grey plastic.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Are you talking about the same Green Stuff Jakko? Sold by Squadron, packaged in a tube.
Pete

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Jakko could well mean this green stuff.....
cheers
Tim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Are you talking about the same Green Stuff Jakko? Sold by Squadron, packaged in a tube.
Probably not. You’re talking about Squadron Green Putty, which indeed comes in a tube and is a one-part putty aimed at modellers. Green Stuff is a common name for Kneadatite Blue/Yellow two-part epoxy putty, originally used by plumbers and then by figure sculptors. When I read “Green Stuff” I assume the latter is meant, especially here because Andy said he’d taken it from his son, who plays Warhammer as I recall, and Games Workshop sells this putty as “Green Stuff”.

I can see where the confusion comes from, though :smiling3:

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
At last someone who uses the correct wingy terminology ;)

Scottie

This has to be quite possibly the funniest post I've ever read on a forum. Short, uncomplicated and very, very, VERY funny!!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Keep at it mate. Don't let it beat you. I've got an an Airfix one in the stash so am following with interest.

ATB

Andrew