Revel 1/72 Lancaster

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Haha, there will be plenty of holes in it, mostly where the tiny control arms for the trim tabs etc should be! Most were so small they either launched into orbit from my tweezers or didn't survive clean up :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

So with a fresh MOT in my hand and a spring in my step, I finished off the prep work and threw some primer at the old girl, Mr Surfacer as per usual. Then out came the Uschi template for a bit of marbling to try and break up the final colours. This was done with Mr Surfacer 1500 white.

SoUDQEd.jpg

Then on with the first colour, Dark Earth

U9exkXZ.jpg

I then had to mix up a dark green. I wanted to try out MRP on this but couldn't find anywhere with it in stock at short notice, so brewed a bit of Mr Color together and came up with something similar. I still haven't nailed this freehand camo lark, but it's getting better I hope, and doesn't look quite so bad under natural light. The "stripes" you can see in the picture are mostly caused by differences in texture, where I've gone a bit dryer or wetter in places. Further work and varnish will bury it.

I then added some random lighter splotches within both colours, and finished of with a filter of sorts, made from highly diluted Dark Earth, misted over everything to tone the green down a bit.

2HbfWWe.jpg

Rather than rush to get the bottom half sprayed tonight I'll probably leave it and take another look at the green tomorrow. Then if I'm still happy, start masking.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
So with a fresh MOT in my hand and a spring in my step, I finished off the prep work and threw some primer at the old girl, Mr Surfacer as per usual. Then out came the Uschi template for a bit of marbling to try and break up the final colours. This was done with Mr Surfacer 1500 white.

View attachment 376531

Then on with the first colour, Dark Earth

View attachment 376532

I then had to mix up a dark green. I wanted to try out MRP on this but couldn't find anywhere with it in stock at short notice, so brewed a bit of Mr Color together and came up with something similar. I still haven't nailed this freehand camo lark, but it's getting better I hope, and doesn't look quite so bad under natural light. The "stripes" you can see in the picture are mostly caused by differences in texture, where I've gone a bit dryer or wetter in places. Further work and varnish will bury it.

I then added some random lighter splotches within both colours, and finished of with a filter of sorts, made from highly diluted Dark Earth, misted over everything to tone the green down a bit.

View attachment 376533

Rather than rush to get the bottom half sprayed tonight I'll probably leave it and take another look at the green tomorrow. Then if I'm still happy, start masking.
Looks great. How did you find the MRP?

I found with panel line, or mottle undercoat, it is better to mask, this allows me to concentrate on the paint, rather than the scheme. When I try and do freehand cammo, I end up spraying too thickly and the undercoat disappears, especially near the edges where I was trying to avoid too much overspray. You seem to have nailed it though

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul. The edges aren't as tight as I'd like but I can live with it I think. If it still bugs me in the morning I'll mask and sharpen them up.

Looks great. How did you find the MRP?
Thanks, but I haven't used any MRP yet, Mr Color only on this so far.

Hopefully giving it a go on the underside. I have black, white and a dark grey so should be able to mix something up, plus I've been told it mixes fine with Mr Color so plenty of options.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy .
STUNNED:surprised: by the masking, you can tell that you must mask up a lot at work ?
Think the metal support is brilliant, great idea to use that.
Looking fwd to the rest.:thumb2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Good luck with the consultant Andy. Oh, and the Lanc's looking great!
Pete

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks Paul. The edges aren't as tight as I'd like but I can live with it I think. If it still bugs me in the morning I'll mask and sharpen them up.

Thanks, but I haven't used any MRP yet, Mr Color only on this so far.

Hopefully giving it a go on the underside. I have black, white and a dark grey so should be able to mix something up, plus I've been told it mixes fine with Mr Color so plenty of options.
Ah sorry...I read it as the green only was the colour you couldn't find!

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Pete, fingers crossed.

Yes John, lots! :smiling5:, and thank you.

Ah sorry...I read it as the green only was the colour you couldn't find!
Yeah, sorry, I haven't phrased it so well. I was hoping to get all the colours for this in MRP, but when I couldn't find the green I decided to use the Mr Color Dark Earth I already had and mix the green.

D

Deleted member 7181

Did your mask before the green Andy ? I see you freehanded the airbrush for the brown
No Gary, I'm trying to practice my freehand camo so no masking for the green. The edges are slightly softer than I'd like but I'm getting a bit better each time. I think it would be much easier if I could rest my hands on the model to steady myself, but since I've added the rod that wasn't an option, lol

I have decided it'll be fine as it is though so masked out the top ready for painting the underside. It will save me an hour in the morning

lX6Lu4H.jpg

First Name
Gary
My limit for soft edges is if I use blutack for the masking of camo. I think if I freehanded it I would never be happy. But each to his own and it still looks good

D

Deleted member 7181

Masking would certainly be the more sane way to do it, but I'm determined to crack freehand. To be honest I'm still struggling with the conversion to airbrush after so many years with a spraygun. Whilst the Infinity is a lovely brush it's better than I am, and I can't get the best out of it. I really should have invested in a better trigger style one instead.

I'll be having a go at the lower half with the Bartsharp 116A. It's a bit annoying as it's (variable) single action so I get some paint as soon as I breathe on the trigger, but it's more natural (for me) to control. Maybe I'll pull it apart and see if I can modify it to dual action. What could possibly go wrong? :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
I think the rod looks fine. If you had used clear rod it would still have been visible. You have the model at a really nice angle. Paint job is nice and freehand camo is a skill and you have done a great job. Masking is a chore but worth trying to do as accurately as possible - saves time later.
In all this is coming on a treat.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim.

I've done a bit more this morning and am just waiting for the 57 coats of yellow to dry :tongue-out2: before demasking then popping on the sticky up bits at the stern.

D

Deleted member 7181

After painting the underside I did a bit of preshading on the wing tips and vertical stabilisers

DQGhMuP.jpg

Than after several coats of yellow I took it outside for some slightly blurry pictures which at least show up the colours better. I also made a start on painting the 48 exhaust pipes

PNECsiP.jpg

COUJ12f.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Colin.

The grass was almost dry enough to cut yesterday but before I got the mower out it decided to rain again! The temporary paving slabs are a path Zoe laid to stop me trudging mud in from the garden while going back & forth to the shed :smiling5:

First Name
Gary
Masking would certainly be the more sane way to do it, but I'm determined to crack freehand. To be honest I'm still struggling with the conversion to airbrush after so many years with a spraygun. Whilst the Infinity is a lovely brush it's better than I am, and I can't get the best out of it. I really should have invested in a better trigger style one instead.

I'll be having a go at the lower half with the Bartsharp 116A. It's a bit annoying as it's (variable) single action so I get some paint as soon as I breathe on the trigger, but it's more natural (for me) to control. Maybe I'll pull it apart and see if I can modify it to dual action. What could possibly go wrong? :smiling5:
Yellow is a bugger as it needs so many coats I know. Despite having the quite superb Evolution I have been looking at a trigger style airbrush. Has to be quality though. I guess to freehand with a sharpish edge its low pressure to avoid splashing and lightly thinned paint to get a clean edge first time ?

I cut my lawn for the second time in three weeks yesterday. Madness