Revel 1/72 Lancaster

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, thin paint, low pressure, and as close as you can get without touching for the finest line.

My issue is trigger control, as I'm a weirdo that holds his spraygun funny, using my middle finger on the trigger with my index pointing down the barrel as it were. Switching to using my index finger is proving harder than I thought!

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Never had a problem with yellow, red or white. I use Tamiya paints for that and i find two coats is more than enough.

As for cutting the grass. Not a chance. Only got rid of the snow on it yesterday lol

D

Deleted member 7181

Never had a problem with yellow, red or white. I use Tamiya paints for that and i find two coats is more than enough.
Yeah, totally my fault this time for going a bit overboard with the thinner. Since I'd spent a bit of time mixing, adding drops of red to get it a bit closer to the proper colour, I didn't want to waste it so splashed it on anyway.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Cheers Colin.

The grass was almost dry enough to cut yesterday but before I got the mower out it decided to rain again! The temporary paving slabs are a path Zoe laid to stop me trudging mud in from the garden while going back & forth to the shed :smiling5:
I can't talk. If that pic was taken on my lawn, you might be saying, "Oi, Colin, have a look at that moss would you" Low growing though, doesn't need much of a cut.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yellow is a bugger as it needs so many coats I know.
This is why I generally paint it first: put on a white undercoat, then yellow over that and mask it off so I can add the rest over the top of it.

D

Deleted member 7181

Mixed bag this morning. Props came out nicely following the painting instructions of matt anthracite blades, yellow tips, and gloss black domes.

XBky0Bd.jpg

But the decals were less successful. It took a lot of hard work to get silvering of such epic proportions!

JKTEj3M.jpg

Now removed and in the bin...

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
All coming on a treat. Yellow is a difficult colour. Like Jakko I prime under yellow with white - still not easy though. Shame about the decals.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim.

I've been getting better with decals lately but these didn't want to play ball. I'd thought about painting the lines in but decided against it, I wish I had done now! I know it's still possible but it'll be a whole lot harder now the roundels are on.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Andy, you could mark the lines using a rotring (technical) pen and straight edge, or a mapping pen and Indian ink....again with a straight edge....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I had a thought about partially hiding it with a tree, as though the aircraft was flying low and almost brushing the tops, but I guess that would be more appropriate for something other than a bomber!

Looking good Andy.

I don't see why it wouldn't be perfectly feasible and correct to display your Lanc. flying low.

617 used standard Lancasters for training at low altitude all over mainland Britain (Down to the required 60ft.!) To quote one front gunner when his Lancaster brushed the top of a tree - "This is getting bloody dangerous!"

The crews didn't know their target until a short time before the dams raid. It was only at the last minute 617 took delivery of the modified 'Dam Buster' Lancasters.

I'm currently building the same model as you, but brush painting it. I will be displaying it in flying mode to start with, then when I've taken the airborne shots of the aircraft, I will add the undercarriage, before finally take some snaps of it on the ground.

Cheers.
Ron

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the info Ron, not such a bad idea for me to include a tree after all then.

I look forward to seeing your interpretation. I hope you have better luck with the decals than me that's for sure. Mine has moved onto the shelf of doom for now until I decide what to do with it and I've started something smaller and simpler instead!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
you can sometimes cure slivering as follows....
prick over the surface of the affected decal with a sharp needle. This allows the setting solution in, and the air out...Then soak the decal in Micro Sol (the red one) . This may snug the deca down and expel the air. It may need several applications....
once you are happy, give the decal area a coat of gloss varnish to seal the decal for weathering or subsequent Matt varnish coats...
I had this work for me on a 1/48 Spitfire decal....the big one on the fuselage side.....
cheers
Tim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy If I could build and paint to your standard i'd be chuffed !!
Its is just the decals that have messed it up, it looked so good. You must be able to get replacement decals, or I'm I missing something.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tim, I've been trying something similar with Micro Set which has worked to some extent, but I'll give it another go with Sol

Thank you for the compliment John! I am chuffed with it, and it's only the decals that have messed up so nothing major. There's even a second set in the kit if all else fails but I'm considering surgery to cut the affected clear film sections away if I can't improve them any more.

But without going full sob story my head is a bit of a shed at the minute so have put it aside and moved on to something less taxing for now. This C19 has really thrown a spanner in the works, financially and otherwise. Concerns over Ill relatives, school closures, drastic extra measures at work for both myself and Zoe, and the fact that my consultation didn't go very well either all mean I'm a bit brain-fried :upside:

D

Deleted member 7181

Several applications of Microsol didn't really do the trick, and I bottled out of cutting the carrier film away from the model, so did what any good bodyshop would do - covered up my mistakes with paint lol

I mixed up some not-quite-black to match the fuselage, added a dollop of glaze medium to reduce the opacity a bit to help it blend in, and carefully painted around the lettering. To say the carrier film was shining out as badly as the stuff on the wings before I'm really pleased with the result. After some matt varnish and a bit of smudging with oils I reckon I'll get away with it :smiling3:

Next time I won't be so lazy and I'll cut away as much of the clear film as possible....

lpcpL9Q.jpg