Revel Aqua Colour OK for Airbrush ?

First Name
Gary
This is specifically about the paint. Just bought a couple of pots and boy is it thick. Pigment is superb but do I just experiment with thinning for my 0.4 airbrush or are they any ratios that work ? Any spray with this paint and how do you do it ? What psi is best for sensibly thinned paint ?

Or am I buying into a nightmare and should I just run for the hills?

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Never used it myself, but I have seen videos on youtube where guys are using it so there must be an appropriate thinner for the stuff.

Andy.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
revell aqua can be a bit hit and miss ive found but when i started using it i had the same problem and read somewhere the best ratio is roughly open a new pot and top up to the brim with tap water and mix well.......seems to work........only downside is that it can be a bugger to put the lid back on til the level has reduced........just mark the tub that you have already thinned it so you dont do it a second time at some point down the line

First Name
Gary
Watched a few and it seems a bit more complicated than "ordinary" acrylics but worth a try for the specific colours I wanted. I'll follow your advice. Thanks

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I used to use it but it caused endless problems. As you stir it in the pot, it coats the sides with a layer of paint. This then dries and the next time you use it, bits of the dried paint flake off the sides as you stir it. These flakes are just a perfect size to block your A/B nozzle!

Other than that, I found it excellent for hairy stick painting apart from a couple of colours.

First Name
Gary
Have to be honest looking at faff to get it working with airbrush the effort seems to have little reward. Better to use either an airbrush friendly paint or brush.

With that in mind I tried it on an old model and it does indeed brush perfectly. Good coverage and thinned a bit it left no brush mask, Nice solid colours