Revel IL-2 Stormovik 1/48

First Name
Gary
I just loved the shape of this and the Russians designed some interesting aircraft.

IL-2 Box.jpg

IL-2 Sprue 1.jpg

IL-2 Sprue 2.jpg

Managed to drop, without realising it the rear cockpit canopy which being clear I couldn't see and stood on it. Luckily I found the three bits and stuck them together with PVA and then looked at the camo plan and the whole piece is painted anyway so you won't "see the join". Just building the cockpit and it looks a decent kit

Last edited:
First Name
Gary
One thing I discovered already is how much the Russians like green. I mean, like it a lot. Everything is green in the cockpit. but I have used the etched seatbelts from my Tamiya Spitfire I had left over rather than the decals.

Petrol tank looks much better and sharply finished in the flesh but the cockpit appears to have no dashboard up front and just a small side one with a red wheel at the side. Then I found the dash was clear plastic on the clear sprue that you paint and stick a decal on. Interesting but I'll paint green, as usual here, and colour the dials myself if the decal is a bit naff. Dash gets fitted to the lower wing not the fuselage which drops down over it. Curious but decent build order. So far so good

IL-2 Cockpit.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Gary
Ready for primer. A small amount of filler and putty but overall not too bad a fit. Undercarriage was very fiddly and a bit of a pain but got there in the end

IL-2 Cockpit Finished.jpg

IL-2 Top pre prep.jpg

IL-2 Under prep.jpg

And the inside of the fuselage before sticking together. I tidied the fine paint up a bit after this picture and it looked pretty good in the end

IL-2 Fuse.jpg

The Russian planes appear to be fairly simply designed, like their tanks, but simple is good

First Name
Gary
Finally got there. Surprisingly well made kit with hardly any issues. I chose the winter camo but with the white it made for a difficult paint job. But again, in the flesh, It looks OK and I'm pleased with it. Nice plane with large wing surfaces all over and some nice detail. Shown with canopy closed and open as the middle section sits on a shelf/rails.

I did a small amount of panel line wash and grubbed it up a bit as it was a bit shiney and new. Took a few snaps. hope they come out OK

IL-2 Under.jpg

IL-2 Fr.jpg

IL-2 FL.jpgIL-2 CocOpen.jpg

IL-2 R.jpg

IL-2 Top_edited-1.jpg

And my growing collection of aircraft... so far

Collection.jpg

First Name
Gary
Thanks. I wasn't sure about doing the winter camo with so much white and more panel line weathering than I normally do but it does look nice I must admit. Its an interesting, nice, looking plane as well in my humble opinion. Will look out for another Russian one

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
lovely job! Winter camouflage is always a bit tricky - it either looks too white, or too dingy!
If you're looking for another Rusky - then might I suggest this:Zvezda Pe-2.jpg
Cracking model, loads of detail & looks good! I made it a year or so ago, and was mightily pleased ( won't break the bank either! )
Dave

First Name
Gary
Thanks Dave. Torn between heavy weathering. But decided not to

I did see that one Dave and yes I think that will be my next Russian plane.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Gary. A handsome addition to your growing aircraft collection.
Cheers
Paul