Revel white Matt aurbrushing problem

First Name
Carl
I have noticed whilst air brushing that when ever I use revell white matt paint it is very difficult to air brush with as it seems to dry on the needle extremely quickly and dry often.
i literally find myself cleaning the needle tip every few minutes which seems excessive and I never feel the airbrush gives a consistent flow because of this. All my other colours seem fine but white is always a problem.
i always use a little flow liquid mixed with the paint but it doesn’t seem to help.
has anyone else noticed this with white or is it just me.
maybe someone has some tips to reduce this occurring.

cheers Carl

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Do you dilute the paint Carl? If so, what with? I find Vallejo white can go chalky if diluted with water. Might be a similar issue causing tip drying and clumping?

First Name
Carl
I only used Vallejo flow improver Mixed with the paint. The viscosity seems quite runny when mixed but as I say it dries too quick.
any suggestions on what best to mix with the paint!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
To be honest, I would try Vallejo airbrush thinner.....it’s exactly what it’s designed for.....they also make a retarder which slows drying. Flow improver breaks down the surface tension so helping the paint flow off of the brush more easily but on its own it may not help with airbrushing....if this fails perhaps switch to Vallejo model air white, which is supposed to be airbrush ready.....

First Name
Carl
To be honest, I would try Vallejo airbrush thinner.....it’s exactly what it’s designed for.....they also make a retarder which slows drying. Flow improver breaks down the surface tension so helping the paint flow off of the brush more easily but on its own it may not help with airbrushing....if this fails perhaps switch to Vallejo model air white, which is supposed to be airbrush ready.....
Thanks Tim, I will give the airbrush thinner a go. Going forward I’m steering away from the revel square pots anyway as I’m doing more airbrush and they attend to be quite thick paint without thinning. Plus its not easy to pour just the right amount unlike the Vallejo dropper style bottles.
carl