Revell 1:110 HMS Bounty

First Name
Tony
Bit of a change of plan with this model, decided to build using the kit supplied sails and shrouds/ratlines. After spending time making my own shrouds/ratlines, they looked awful and I decided to use the kit supplied ones. These are a little on the heavy side but they are acceptable (my thoughts), and they will be partly covered with the full sails.
Next is the rigging and sails.

Bounty (20e).jpg

Bounty (24).JPG

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's looking really good. Better slightly oversized ones that look good, than correct scale that look 'ropey'..... at least IMHO.

First Name
Tony
That's looking really good. Better slightly oversized ones that look good, than correct scale that look 'ropey'..... at least IMHO.
Looking good enjoying your build is what it's all about :thumb2:

Andrew, Mark, - Thanks for the good feedback, it's a good kit to build, perhaps not to a modern standard, but nevertheless an enjoyable build.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tony
I totally agree with you - a cracking model despite the age of the kit. You've made a great job of it and not far to go. A bit of subtle weathering and the kit sails will look fine.
... and you're enjoying it :smiling: :thumb2:
Jim

First Name
Tony
Hi Tony
I totally agree with you - a cracking model despite the age of the kit. You've made a great job of it and not far to go. A bit of subtle weathering and the kit sails will look fine.
... and you're enjoying it :smiling: :thumb2:
Jim

Thank you Jim. I enjoyed following the build of your HMS Victory cross section. These sailing ship kits might build into good attractive models, but on the full sized ships in real life it was a hard way of life.
Tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Beautiful Tony , that rigging looks very complicated. How do you manage to get the tension in each line with out upsetting the previous ones ? That bow set of 4 for example .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely build Tony, always liked the Bounty. Was the Airfix Endeavour the same type of ship? Either would be nice to have.
Besides the instruction rigging will you be adding more for realism?

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Tony
Thanks for all the good feedback, this model has been an absolute pleasure to build from start to present. No money has been added to the 'swear box' during the build!

Beautiful Tony , that rigging looks very complicated. How do you manage to get the tension in each line with out upsetting the previous ones ? That bow set of 4 for example .
John, with the rigging, I tend to avoid super-glue on the knots as it doesn't give time to adjust the tension. Either plain PVA or Deluxe Products Super Phatic. The 'Super Phatic' is stronger but needs to be used carefully. Only a small amount is used on the knot as it can be "soaked up" by the thread and cause a darkening of the lighter thread colours.

Lovely build Tony, always liked the Bounty. Was the Airfix Endeavour the same type of ship? Either would be nice to have.
Besides the instruction rigging will you be adding more for realism?

Cheers,
Richard
Richard, the Airfix 'Endeavour' is a very similar build. A fewer pieces, slightly larger and a slightly different scale at 1:120. It was a larger full sized ship than Bounty. It is my next build, my wife having recently bought the kit for me. Attached is a photograph of the size of 'Endeavour' compared to 'Bounty'. I've also added a pen to the photograph to show the hull size. Looking at Revell's website, they now have dropped the Bounty from their sales listings.

Endeavour (2).JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent build Tony. I'm enjoying watching progress.

Should be good fun working the running rigging between those sails. Good job there is plenty of room in the 'Swear Box'

Your servant,
Capt. Bill Bligh

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for all the good feedback, this model has been an absolute pleasure to build from start to present. No money has been added to the 'swear box' during the build!

John, with the rigging, I tend to avoid super-glue on the knots as it doesn't give time to adjust the tension. Either plain PVA or Deluxe Products Super Phatic. The 'Super Phatic' is stronger but needs to be used carefully. Only a small amount is used on the knot as it can be "soaked up" by the thread and cause a darkening of the lighter thread colours.

Richard, the Airfix 'Endeavour' is a very similar build. A fewer pieces, slightly larger and a slightly different scale at 1:120. It was a larger full sized ship than Bounty. It is my next build, my wife having recently bought the kit for me. Attached is a photograph of the size of 'Endeavour' compared to 'Bounty'. I've also added a pen to the photograph to show the hull size. Looking at Revell's website, they now have dropped the Bounty from their sales listings.

View attachment 446290
Thanks for the comparison shot Tony. They both aren't very large ships or kits but just nice to be mounted on mantles. I've been on the Endeavor replica in Sydney harbour and below decks is pretty cramped...headroom too at a premium. Can't believe the cots the officers slept in were so short and their quarters so small. Lots of rope everywhere.
Looking forward to your next build.

Cheers,
Richard

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy