Revell 1:110 HMS Bounty

First Name
Tony
Looking pretty damn good!

Have you used the sails as they came (plastic moulds?), or done any staining/cloth stuff? Can't quite see on my phone.
Thanks

I decided to use the kit supplied plastic sails. Gave them a wash with off-white. I did give consideration to making my own furled sails from tissue, but decide against and used the provided ones.

First Name
Tony
W.I.P. update - the model now has the "laundry hung out". The sails are the kit supplied plastic ones given a wash of acrylic white with a spot of ochre mixed in.

Still to do - there is further running rigging and the swivel canons need gluing in place. I am unsure about the crew and the kit supplied flags, they look cheap and nasty and I might consider after-market flag(s). The next post will be when the model finally gets finished and can be posted in the forum's "Completed Ships" section.

The model is a real pleasure to build - Thanks for taking a look.

Bounty (41).jpgBounty (42).jpgBounty (43).jpg
Bounty (40).jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I just saw this Tony, so I'm real late in on it. I'm not really a float thingy builder, but I never knew the Bounty was such a small ship. I always thought it to be much larger. Beautiful work Sir and the sails came out well too. Do you have any figs to place on the deck? It would be a great reference to the overall size of her...........Do you have an idea where you will place the toerag on her? Just wondering as I think all old ships had them.......Top Job!!!

Prost
Allen

First Name
Tony
Thanks for the good comments Allen and Paul, they are much appreciated

Yes the Bounty was a small ship of approx. 230 tons with a length of 27.7m and beam of 7.4m. A small ship (under 250 tons), was customarily fore and aft rigged, that is where Bounty differs in being fully rigged with square sails on all three masts. She was originally a small vessel 'Bethia', which the RN purchased for the breadfruit mission.

Two replicas have been built, the first was built in Nova Scotia in 1960, she sank in a storm off North Carolina. The second replica was built in New Zealand in 1978, HMAV Bounty, she still exists apparently in poor condition. The first replica was used in the film 'Mutiny on the Bounty' and the second replica was used in the 1984 film 'The Bounty'.

The 1984 film 'The Bounty' is a superb film, well worth watching.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks so much for the info Tony. I have seen the original "Mutiny" from years gone by (B/W?), but didn't know about the one from 1984. I'll have to check the new one out...

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Tony

Sorry, got VERY behind in this. That's turned out beautifully!!

Very, very, well done indeed. Looking forward to the final pictures.

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
Jean-Marc
Just stumble on your post and your WIP was very interesting ... well done SIR and thank you for sharing it with us, it's quite appreciated !