Revell 1/144 Schnellboot Fast Attack Boat.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This is my first foray into the world of floaty things, stop laughing at the back, and it's a whole different ball game and I am still not sure if I want to play or not. However, I will try my best and who knows, it might be OK.
51261272857_c0aa45e02a_b.jpg
In the box are the 2 parts for the hull, 2 large sprues with lot of small parts and decals and paper flags and the instructions which are not the best I have seen.
51291501683_581d6426fc_b.jpg
51291320741_684ea5bfb7_b.jpg
Hull joined up and deck plates dry fitted to test the fit.
51292332951_97847e0e61_b.jpg
A bit of superstucture assembled, the railings look a bit oversize to me but I am not going to get involved with aftermarket PE on a practice kit that cost a tenner.
51297974935_e057cf3faa_b.jpg
Hull bottom painted and some small parts in primer.
51416207618_09d016651b_b.jpg
51416927255_b496ea6a46_b.jpg
I painted the decks with what I thought would be a darkish grey but it looks to have a greenish tone to it so I will have to try something else just using the paints I have to hand, the paint I used was Tamiya RLM Grey.
51416207828_ac32f90fb6_b.jpg
That's it for now and we shall see how it goes.

Andy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Andy will follow an see how you get on an is this a triple prop sharfts ?
chris

Last edited:

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks to all for the positive comments, very encouraging and gives me a reason to try my best with this model. I may have a problem with the rest of the hull paint as I found it hard to get a straight line on a curved surface but hopefully the decals along the side will cover any wobbly bits. ;)
Chris, if you look again at the hull picture you will see it has four screws.

Andy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks to all for the positive comments, very encouraging and gives me a reason to try my best with this model. I may have a problem with the rest of the hull paint as I found it hard to get a straight line on a curved surface but hopefully the decals along the side will cover any wobbly bits. ;)
Chris, if you look again at the hull picture you will see it has four screws.

Andy.
HI Andy im not well at the moment down with a sick bug but when i looked this morn my eyes were tired from bein up all night an yes i now see what you mean it has 4 props as most have only 3 props so never seen one with that many props before on a small patroll craft i bet i takes off at flank speed wow
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nice start Andy. The floaty dark side seems to be tempting a lot of guys recently!
Andy.
As Tim suggests, welcome to the 'Dark Side' - and a bit wet too!

Looking neat. :thumb2:

YEA GUYS COME ON OVER to the dark side for a change an summit different as me ow mate Bob has come over so space for more lol
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
masking tape is the only way to get really straight waterlines! If the hull isn't too curved, I use wide stuff, but if there are compound curves, I use 2mm tape to define the edge, then back it up with wider tape. The narrower tape will curve much easier. You really have to make sure the tape is well pressed down - even burnished to minimise paint bleeding under. I generally do the upper hull & then mask it & then spray the ( normally ) red lowers. - For some reason, I always have trouble with red!, maybe that's why I 'waterline' a lot of my ship models..
Dave

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
After searching through my paint shelf I have found some that will do the job, dark sea grey for the decks and neutral grey for the hull and superstructures. Repainted the decks and they look a lot better now.
51418032121_70948ea692_b.jpg
Unfortunately all the sticky up bits are the same colour as the hull so that will mean a lot of masking as I have a habit of thinning my paints for the airbrush as soon as I open them so brush painting will not be the way to go with Tamiya.

Andy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Andy youre on the right track nice one on this an the sticky up bits are called super structure or S/S for short but im enjoyin this build but im still impressed with this boat as having four props is unsual in a patroll vessel as most have only three so thats a first time for me but keep goin
chris

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
4 Diesel engines is also unusual, you can see the exhaust ports on the sides of the hull, putting out almost 18,000 hp.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
4 Diesel engines is also unusual, you can see the exhaust ports on the sides of the hull, putting out almost 18,000 hp.
YES IT IS PaulE VERY unusual on a patroll vessel like this an it also has a fair sized gun on the front as they normally have just an 20mm orkeilion on the front i'll say this though it would make a very nice R/C model in 1/48 scale about 4ft long Mmmmm nice
chris