Revell 1/144 Trinity House 'South Goodwin' Lightship

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This vessel capsized in a storm which hit the Goodwin Sands in 1954. Her entire crew of seven all drowned. There was one survivor, a civilian.

At 38.5cm she's a decent size. There is a warning notice in the box about it being an old moulding, so I sort of know what to expect.

I have yet to open the poly bag... :fearful:
P1270871.JPG

P1280429.JPG

I'm thinking about a three phase build. On site in the English Channel, on her side on the Goodwins and finally, abandoned up a creek. We'll see......I'll certainly attempt the latter.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Will be following this with interest Ron.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking forward to this. And please do it yourself - don't get your Zulu friends to do all the work and then claim all the credit :tongue-out3:
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ron,
I think this was my first large 'ship' model ( late 60's/early 70's? ) - as opposed to the 1/600 Airfix ships, It was originally a Frog model, and looked quite impressive - it must have kept me quiet & occupied for quite a time, because, either for my next birthday, or Christmas, I was given the 'Shell Welder' coastal tanker. I was much happier with that - it had a propeller! Odd that only a few years later I was working on the real things!
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the initial interest boys. Much appreciated.
The usherette will by amongst you all soon, with her box full of goodies!

Andrew. Always nice to have you aboard.

Tony. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be writing about this build, so thanks again.

Jim. You never can tell when or where my buddies might re-appear.

Richard. You might recall the same tug boat as yours in my 'Up a Creek' diorama? I found the kit a good all round fit. I just hope this one is as good.

Dave. Funny you should mention the 'Shell Welder' I had the Frog kit version on my eBay watch list last week. It was at £28 with days to go and still climbing, so I deleted it!

Cheers.
Ron

First Name
Tony
The 'Shell Welder' mentioned earlier seems to hold a good price. I have also watched a few and had to abandon before the bidding ends, as the price just gets too strong. The box art for this kit seems to be one of it's selling points.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
An interesting subject.There are a few around here on the Essex coast,One moored at Colchester on the Colne plus 3 in Harwich harbour area near to Shotley and Felixstowe.
Watching with interest.
Rich

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave. Funny you should mention the 'Shell Welder' I had the Frog kit version on my eBay watch list last week. It was at £28 with days to go and still climbing, so I deleted it!
The Shell Welder still pops up occasionally - the moulds were sold to NOVO when Frog went bust & it has been re-re-released by Novo, ZTS, Chematic, Eastern Express & Ark - I wonder what state the moulds are in? I keep an eye out for the model, but the original Frog boxing is the province of the collector. I'm a maker, so any manufacturer would be acceptable!, but even those fetch high prices..............
Dave

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Looking forward to this one, can't beat a good up the creek scene. The Shell Welder brings back memories, built one to use on a railway layout many moons ago

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your posts and a special thanks to Carl for the picture.

Dave. Judging by the posts, it looks like you, Tony and myself will be fighting each other over the next Shell Welder kit that crops up on eBay.

Buy the kit, make it and then flog the box.

You should break even, or even make a profit!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking forward to this one, can't beat a good up the creek scene. The Shell Welder brings back memories, built one to use on a railway layout many moons ago

Thanks Mick. Remember that creek/ harbour dio. I made with the tug 'Lucky XI' anchored up in it? I might just cheat and swap the tug for the Lightship. That would save a heap of work, but someone might just spot the subterfuge!

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Thanks Mick. Remember that creek/ harbour dio. I made with the tug 'Lucky XI' anchored up in it? I might just cheat and swap the tug for the Lightship. That would save a heap of work, but someone might just spot the subterfuge!
Never mate, promise I won't say anything. I loved that build because the story really went wild

First Name
Tony
Ron, Dave, whoever wins the next reasonably priced Shell Welder needs to start a thread, it could be an interesting little model.

In the August 2018 Model Boats magazine, one of these kits was scaled up into an award winning r/c model (approx. half way down the link).

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

I'm watching you young Ron! I've seen too many of your builds where you've tried to trick us by posting pics of the real thing!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Since you bought the lighthouse ship Ron, research has shown that another is currently on sale. Ark Models, Trinity House Lightship at the larger scale of 1:110, which Hannants sell at £39.99. Personally, I would still favour the Revell kit.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ARK40010?result-token=JwR9J
It's the same model - Revell has it labelled as 1/144, but it's really 1/110 - The lightship seems to have travelled the same path as the Shell Welder - same makers, although Revell seemed to have passed on the SW
Dave