Revell 1/144 Trinity House 'South Goodwin' Lightship

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 .
Polly sends his love, but as much as he would love to see you and join in he's currently stuck in Aus and not allowed to leave.
So you will have to do with just me, i've left all flammable materials here, just winding the elastic band up in the jolly bike and I'll be with you.

Yours Able Seaman 453.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
570 .
Polly sends his love, but as much as he would love to see you and join in he's currently stuck in Aus and not allowed to leave.
So you will have to do with just me, i've left all flammable materials here, just winding the elastic band up in the jolly bike and I'll be with you.

Yours Able Seaman 453.
AN:thinking: IF POLLY does turn up lets hope 570 wont send him off like he did last time lol or did he resign ?
:rolling::smiling2:
chris

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
AN:thinking: IF POLLY does turn up lets hope 570 wont send him off like he did last time lol or did he resign ?
:rolling::smiling2:
chris
No Chris, he said Polly was welcome,think it's very strange , maybe a trick !

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
B***er! My plan is exposed for the trick that it was!
See that big hole at the bow? It looks a bit big for my likings. I needed something soft and squashable to insert in it.:flushed: I tried a pillow, but it burst. When it did, feathers flew everywhere. That's when I hit on the idea of inviting 453 and his bird aboard and before anyone pulls me up, I was going to insert the parrot in the hole, not 453!

......and now on to more mundane matters.
Prior to adding the porthole glass, I have brushed on a second coat of paint to the gunnels and outer hull.
P1280487.JPG

P1280490.JPG

P1280491.JPG

Next, I'll attend to the portholes and paint and fix the main deck.
Thanks for looking in.

Thomas Ismay (Ace ship designer)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
BUT John i cant remember :thinking:why was captain 570 kickin polly off the crew list ? as if i remember rightly you backed polly an left allso so captain 570 's pots an pans were left unwashed down in the galley ? lol :rolling::smiling:
chris

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
BUT John i cant remember :thinking:why was captain 570 kickin polly off the crew list ? as if i remember rightly you backed polly an left allso so captain 570 's pots an pans were left unwashed down in the galley ? lol :rolling::smiling:
chris
Think he just hates Parrots Chris, esp if if messed on his bunk. Polly says he's quite pleased to be stuck in Aus, and Captain Ron can keep his rusty old hulk, he prefers Bondi Beach .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you gentlemen for keeping 'It' away from my clutches.

....and Chris, your idea of using the bird as a sink bung is good. I have just counted the holes in my sink outlet. There are six, so if ever I get my hands on 453's pet I will shove it, head first, into the outlet. Hard enough so that I will end up with six long strands of parrot. These I will hang up to dry out in the ship's galley and eventually feast on the resulting dried meat, one strand at a time, sitting on the poop deck with a glass of slightly chilled white wine.

Ah, yes, the build.
I've glued on the 'glass' for the portholes using thin clear plastic strips cut from a food container glued to the inside of the hull. (Obviously, Ron!).
I can now paint and glue the main deck down.

As an aside, before fixing the main deck in place, the instructions would have you fit the three anchors complete with plastic chains. Apart from not wanting plastic chains, I didn't fancy having these flapping about for the remainder of the build, so I'll sort this detail out later.

Here are the strips glued in place.
P1280493.JPG

Cheers.
Wyn d'Oleen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
VERY nice work Ron its comin on a nice build but im havin a hard job imagineing a ship without a prop an a engine WEIRD
(Ron Qoute)
Thank you gentlemen for keeping 'It' away from my clutches.

....and Chris, your idea of using the bird as a sink bung is good. I have just counted the holes in my sink outlet. There are six, so if ever I get my hands on 453's pet I will shove it, head first, into the outlet. Hard enough so that I will end up with six long strands of parrot. These I will hang up to dry out in the ship's galley and eventually feast on the resulting dried meat, one strand at a time, sitting on the poop deck with a glass of slightly chilled white wine.

:thinking: OH you HORRHIBLE captain 570 you id thought you'd just keel haul the ole Polly but not what you got planned for him oooooohhhhhhhh poor ole Polly me thinks he will keep his distance from you now Captain 570 an proberly do one in your bed :rolling::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::thumb2:
LONG JOHN SILVER lol

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I do hope the RSPCA is monitoring these threats of cruelty to the psittacine individual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since the lightship was positioned in a fixed spot, there was no need for an engine, or propeller - originally the light would have run on oil, or gas, which the crew would also cook with. When the lights were converted to run on electricity, they had whacking great banks of batteries installed to run the light, charged by a couple of diesels, this then led to full automation, with only visits to check on the gear & top up the fuel tanks. All the Trinity House Lightships send data on status & weather conditions automatically - and can be 'pinged' to give immediate data.
The most obvious feature ( apart from the light ) is the huge anchor handling gear. They would not generally have their own anchors, but use fixed 3-point anchors permanently set in the sea bed with chains leading to a swivel, from which one chain would lead up the the big hawse pipe on the bows. The 3 point anchor would essentially limit the swing of the ship, due to tide/current/wind, to a minimum - essential if you're warning of rocks/sandbanks
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's interesting Dave.
When I was at Newage years ago we supplied spares for the gensets to Trinity House.
Apparently most light vessels and shore stations had Newage Generators.
Yes the RSPCA are aware of the threat .

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Liking the progress on this so far 570.......surprised you haven't got the "boys" giving you a hand on this. BTW You might keep a look out of the "Animal Rights Whackos" as I suspect JR has got them onto your threatening behavior.:rolling:.......Hope to see more on this soon. Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
570 Just :thinking: an wondering what glue did you use to glue the glass over the port holes ? as im gonna need some clear glue like this to glue in my bridge windows glass on my tiger's bridges
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
All this about parrots, and nobody made the obvious Polly Filler joke.....perhaps there is hope for this forum after all....
Mack Zbygraves
OH YEA Tim you are really spot on with the obvious Polly Filler joke. but it just dint occrur to me( DUH ) but i wish it had would have been a great bit of banter lol
Chris