Revell 1/144 Trinity House 'South Goodwin' Lightship

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It makes no difference.
It has gone to join the 'kwire invisibyool!' (Silly spelling from the Python 'Parrot Sketch')

Rick. I would have brought Idu and the lads in, I got lucky before and I didn't want to push my luck too far....... ;);) I reckon most of the members are fed up with my ramblings to have to stomach another dose. There again.......

Chris. I used ordinary general purpose clear glue. I don't think it would be any use to you if it gets near water - Even just a bit!

Oh, yes, the build...
I brushed on two coats of Vallejo acrylics to the main deck and then fixed it to the hull.

P1280492.JPG

P1280494.JPG

P1280495.JPG

P1280496.JPG

I'll tidy up the painting as I go along. Time to start on the various main deck fittings.

Cheers all.
Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
(RON QUOTE)
Chris. I used ordinary general purpose clear glue. I don't think it would be any use to you if it gets near water - Even just a bit

OK Ron many thanks for your reply on that glue an i'll just have to use c/a then like i have on all my other ships bridges glass
an on your model a very nice bit of work fitting on an painting the deck spot on :thumb2:
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dead birds no longer protected!
'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig!
'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run
down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!
THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!
I'm afraid some of the younger members may not recognise the comic sketch!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
....and most of the older ones can probably quote it word for word....
It’s good, but it ain’t the fish slapping dance.
Sorry Tim but whats the fish slappin dance eh ? a new one on me that
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
The weather is rotten outside, so I've been confined to my den - Such a shame I can't access the garden!

I've brushed on a couple of coats of Vallejo Matt Black to the hull below the waterline. As I wrote earlier, I don't use masking tape, but on this model, Revell have moulded in a faint waterline, so painting the red/black demarcation line was straight forward.

1st. coat.
P1280497.JPG

Second and final coat. Here you can see why I wasn't fussy about the neatness of the application of the red. The black has obliterated it.
Remember the brush painter's watchwords? Dark over light, gets it right. :thumb2: Usually!
P1280501.JPG

Final coat, port side.
I've also made a start on the deck fittings. I'll show these with my next post, 'cos I've got things a bit out of order.... :upside:
P1280506.JPG

Cheers.
Michael Palin

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress matey , its going to be a fantastic watch , seeing this lovely old kit go through its lifecycle ! Theres a lightship moored up in Hull marina next to the A63 , i see it regularly , its a floating museum i think . Cheers tony

First Name
Tony
A most impressive water line and without masking tape! Years ago I used to paint water lines by the same method but nowadays - glasses, magnifier and tape are all needed.

Garden, at this time of the year! brrr Although I have managed the temporary outdoor supplies for the festive lights, just the icicles to hang on the shed.

A very neat build.
Tony

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers gents.

Tony. It seems there are still plenty of these ships still dotted around our coast line. Nice to have you aboard....

Tony II. No doubt I'll need some of these things sooner than later. Up to now I've been very fortunate in only requiring reading glasses.

Rick. Try a beer. It works wonders on me!

More progress.....
I've made a start on the main deck fittings.

Loads of scraping, filing, fitting and also scratching the missing bits. I'm thoroughly enjoying the challenge. It's proper modelling and I'm putting my stamp on it and showing it just who's the boss! (Well, trying too) Such a refreshing change from 'Shake and Make' kits.

Front bit.
P1280500.JPG

Back bit.
P1280504.JPG

Both.
P1280505.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Really nice job on that Ron an plenty of detail an paint work is brilliant i wish i could hand paint a shraight line like you have on your water line on your hull :thumb2:
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I prefer the dip method 570.
Fill large enough container with paint.
Insert boat into said bath, keeping it level, lift out, job done.
Also work well for amour as you may have noticed with my builds.

Ludolf Bakhuizen.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the enthusiastic comments boys, very nice.

I prefer the dip method 570.
Fill large enough container with paint.
Insert boat into said bath, keeping it level, lift out, job done.
Also work well for amour as you may have noticed with my builds.

Ludolf Bakhuizen.

Tried it once 453. The wife played hell when she saw the state of the bath! 570

..........................................................................................................................................

Dear Mr. Race.
For your information, Bakhuizen wasn't that good at painting. So there!

Your Servant.
Allart Van Everdingen ( Bakhuizen's ex. teacher)

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A quick couple of tips for brush painting a waterline, or any long line. I appreciate folks have different approaches to this, but this is mine.

Use a flat headed brush.
Make sure the brush is well loaded with paint.
Work quickly and get as close as you can with the first pass of the brush. Work to the line with the second.
Paint the line with one pass.
Once you are happy, go over your work again quickly, whilst the paint is still wet, to even out any 'wrinkles'.
Practice!
Don't faff about painting a bit at a time and dragging the paint along . You will never get a straight line.
Keep your tongue in your mouth, not resting on your lower lip. It keeps you nicely balanced.
Breath naturally during the line painting.
I know I've mentioned the following on numerous occasions, but it's still a timely reminder. Never hold your breath. Eventually, you will start to shake, then loose consciousness and fall off your chair, smashing your head open. At worst, you will die!

I hope the above is of some use.

Time to start the superstructure.

First, I gave the upper deck a first brushing of deck green and a bit of red. All the parts you see are moulded on. See where the red has come over onto the green? Don't worry about doing this here and there, just brush the paint on. It's more important to get the surface smooth. Faffing about with neatness comes later.
P1280508.JPG

More porthole 'glass'
P1280514.JPG

The superstructure sides glued in place. As I wrote earlier, the larger pieces of plastic are a great, first time fit.
P1280513.JPG

P1280515.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
(RON QOUTE)
Never hold your breath. Eventually, you will start to shake, then loose consciousness and fall off your chair, smashing your head open. A worst, you will die!
OH DEAR Ron i do that a lot of holding my breath when im doin something that really matters as jen says im tryin to hard an holding my breath sometimes i dont even realise im doin it oh well thats one habit ive got to break out of but your ship is comin on fab really like all the detail an glass that you have fitted brilliant moddeling at its best :thumb2: :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What you have described there Ron is exactly how I do ceiling and skirting board junctions when I’m interior decorating.....the only difference is that I use a two inch cutting in brush, but that’s a bit big for here :tongue-out3: Glad to see it works for models as well though.....
Nice work so far by the way....