Revell 1/16 VW samba bus conversion

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all this was donated to me by a friend(he was doing it as a van) I have other plans for it, it will be a very rare custom made version (the guys at work will know where I'm going with it as we have the actual vehicle in the workshop)

IMG-5924.jpg

IMG-5913.jpg
IMG-5912.jpg

IMG-5920.jpg
IMG-5917.jpg
IMG-5918.jpg
IMG-5915.jpg
IMG-5914.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Looking good!

Stretched car transporter I presume?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ah, happy surfing days, when I actually owned one of these from 1973 'ish until rust caused it to fold in half. Too much salt air.

Fitted out as a camper. 6v electrics and full chrome too! Mine was an aqua Blue/ light grey.

The only difference I can see from the box art, is my front split windscreens where hinged at the top.

Ken, this has brought back to me happy, carefree, none P.C. times, when folks got on with everyone and with no constraints to worry about, knew how to enjoy themselves and had fun on a regular basis.....Nearly as good as the 60's!

Thank you.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks very interesting ken , loving the wooden chassis extensions , like a Morgan ! Carlsberg and superglue , mmm , looks like the opening scene of a Casualty episode ! :smiling5::smiling5:

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all this is what I'm aiming for, it has a very unusuall way of loading cars (which i am ambitiously aiming to depict)

IMG-5948.jpg
IMG-5947.jpg
IMG-5944.jpg
IMG-5941.jpg
IMG-5943.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice clean shop. Ambitious undertaking. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My thoughts exactly.......membership in the "Tidy Shop" Club? ;) ....nice job on the build so far, will this be a faithful reproduction or will you be using a bit of modelers license to put your stamp on it? Rick H.

D

Deleted member 3568

I generally use modellers licence to cover up my poor modelling abilitys, I see no reason to change.
I need to make lots of louvers for the samba bus conversion so heres my simple answer, glue bade to base at half the thickness of a cocktail stick run that through blade then turn the resulting halves 180° and run through aginn all I have to do now is round the ends off and I have my louvres.

IMG-5954.jpg
IMG-5952.jpg
IMG-5953.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Tried making the louvers out of quartered cocktail sticks, not very successful

I measured the louvers and they are 20mm wide the quarterd cocktail sticks are 1 1/4 mm so way out of scale.

IMG-5968.jpg
IMG-5969.jpg
IMG-5970.jpg
IMG-5971.jpg

I have another idea up my sleeve let's see how that works.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Quartered tubes w/filler ends? PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Could I suggest Evergreen Styrene quarter round plastic strips.....come in various sizes.​
Rick.​

D

Deleted member 7181

Could I suggest Evergreen Styrene quarter round plastic strips.....come in various sizes.​
Rick.​
That's exactly what I used for the louvres on bendy bus. Pretty sure it was 0.75mm and I rounded the ends

I still have plenty left Ken, so if you want a couple of lengths just let me know.

EDIT: this post shows how they looked, if it helps

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks mate I may take you up on that.
Here is one of the cars it usually carries (it also carries a 904 a 910 and another rsr cafe mexicano)

IMG-6011.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice progress......wondered what happened to this? Rick H.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some great scratchery going on here!
One thing about the real one has me thinking though. Is that little v-dub engine going to have the lungs to push that thing? I can see the crew pushing at the first sign of a hill. lol

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi Ian, It's not a standard VW engine it's a highly modified 2.2 litre engine.