Revell 1/24 MG TC (1945)

F

Fenlander

DSC_0153.JPG

Battered box, instructions like an old newspaper and decals that look decidedly dodgy....

Not sure how long this has been in the shed but it must be a couple of years. Cannot even remember where I got it from but I decided it was time it was built.

IMG_0282.JPG

As you can see, not many parts but the flash is terrible and look at the 'T' bars sticking out the back of the body and the fuel tank! When you get sprue attachment points half an inch wide or more, you know it is going to be trouble.

Tons of chrome with half that weight in flash. There is no way you could use a lot of these parts without taking the chrome off to clean them up. As always, I just stripped it anyway

However, once you get past the cleaning up of the parts, this is a delightful little kit. As usual for me now, the body was prepped, sprayed and left to cure while I started on the chassis. The sweet little engine is quite good.

DSC_0157.JPG

Then, with the body paint dry, I test fitted it to the chassis.

DSC_0158.JPG

Happy that everything was fitting as it should, I added some lead wire HT leads painted green and then I clear coated the body, bonnet and chassis. OK, the chassis didn't need it but I mixed too much so I used it lol.

DSC_0159.JPG

Then, I plonked the body loosely onto the chassis when it was touch dry and put it to one side to fully cure for the next 24 hours or so.

DSC_0160.JPG

To get an idea of the shine, have a look on the side door, you can see the reflection of the lines on the cutting mat.

More to come......

First Name
john
View attachment 276600

Battered box, instructions like an old newspaper and decals that look decidedly dodgy....

Not sure how long this has been in the shed but it must be a couple of years. Cannot even remember where I got it from but I decided it was time it was built.

View attachment 276595

As you can see, not many parts but the flash is terrible and look at the 'T' bars sticking out the back of the body and the fuel tank! When you get sprue attachment points half an inch wide or more, you know it is going to be trouble.

Tons of chrome with half that weight in flash. There is no way you could use a lot of these parts without taking the chrome off to clean them up. As always, I just stripped it anyway

However, once you get past the cleaning up of the parts, this is a delightful little kit. As usual for me now, the body was prepped, sprayed and left to cure while I started on the chassis. The sweet little engine is quite good.

View attachment 276596

View attachment 276598

Happy that everything was fitting as it should, I added some lead wire HT leads painted green and then I clear coated the body, bonnet and chassis. OK, the chassis didn't need it but I mixed too much so I used it lol.

View attachment 276597

Then, I plonked the body loosely onto the chassis when it was touch dry and put it to one side to fully cure for the next 24 hours or so.

View attachment 276599

To get an idea of the shine, have a look on the side door, you can see the reflection of the lines on the cutting mat.

More to come......
View attachment 276600

View attachment 276595

View attachment 276596

View attachment 276598

View attachment 276597

View attachment 276599

More to come......[/QUOTE
View attachment 276600

View attachment 276595

View attachment 276596

View attachment 276598

View attachment 276597

View attachment 276599

More to come......
looks like youve mastered that 2k finish Graham another sublime shine think I'll have to get myself some and give it a whirl. Cheers John

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work,Graham,what a great shine you have gotten,very well done,:D

M

Morpheus

Nice looking model, my first thought was if it's to shiny for the era :cool: but a cracking paint job no the less

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive always fancied this kit so look forward to seeing it go together

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Cheers Monica. Weirdly, I am wondering if it is too shiny :cool:
Funny you mention that, but a lot of car restorers are careful not to have a shine that replicates a modern vehicle.
But this is different. Achieving a deep shine on a model is difficult and you have done it, so keep the shine and show it off.

F

Fenlander

Finished the little bits and got it all together. Have to say that on first sight, this is a classic old kit. Poor chrome, loads of flash, heavy sprue attachment points, it has the lot.

However, take some time, clean it up and it is a hidden jewel of a kit and, though I say it myself, it looks very imposing in the cabinet.

Top not glued down as I am not sure if to have it up or down. I think it will be up as it gives a really period look to the car. I may build another it was that much fun to do.

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

First Name
john
Looks great Graham I've just ordered my zero paints starter pack on the results of your last two car builds. I like the top down on this one keep up the good work. Cheers John

F

Fenlander

Looks great Graham I've just ordered my zero paints starter pack on the results of your last two car builds. I like the top down on this one keep up the good work. Cheers John

It is the starter kit I got. Just a standard set but with a pack of mixing cups, pipettes and stirring sticks.

On the pack it gives the ratio of clear, hardener and thinners. The amount they suggest, 20ml of clear etc would be enough to coat a real car lol.

For the MG, I used 5ml of clear and worked the ratio out from that. Still had enough to do a couple of cars. Have you watched the video on how to use it? If not go to YouTube and lookup 'The Scalemodelling Channel' he does the demo video and uses the stuff on all his builds so check out how he does it.

By the way, you will need cellulose thinners to clean out the airbrush. Make sure you do a good strip clean after you have finished, this isn't paint, treat it as liquid plastic/resin.

Give me a shout if you are not sure befor trying it out.

F

Fenlander

I am liking this a lot Graham that blue really sets it off.

Thanks Terry. The Mr Hobby acrylic gloss is gorgeous stuff. Could have got away without the clear coat it was so good. Will be certainly using it again.

M

Mhudsy17

Another great build! I'm going to do more of mine tomorrow. Your a very talented painter

First Name
john
It is the starter kit I got. Just a standard set but with a pack of mixing cups, pipettes and stirring sticks.

On the pack it gives the ratio of clear, hardener and thinners. The amount they suggest, 20ml of clear etc would be enough to coat a real car lol.

For the MG, I used 5ml of clear and worked the ratio out from that. Still had enough to do a couple of cars. Have you watched the video on how to use it? If not go to YouTube and lookup 'The Scalemodelling Channel' he does the demo video and uses the stuff on all his builds so check out how he does it.

By the way, you will need cellulose thinners to clean out the airbrush. Make sure you do a good strip clean after you have finished, this isn't paint, treat it as liquid plastic/resin.

Give me a shout if you are not sure befor trying it out.
Cheers Graham I did see the video and I'll do a few test pieces before diving in hope they turn out as good as yours. Just one quickie what psi setting did you use? Cheers John

F

Fenlander

Cheers Graham I did see the video and I'll do a few test pieces before diving in hope they turn out as good as yours. Just one quickie what psi setting did you use? Cheers John

To be honest I don't know, I never look really. Be about 20 psi working, 25 idle with the .4 needle. You need a good flow to get the real wet coat for the third coat but too much and you get clouds of overspray which is unhealthy.

I might try the .2 needle at 20psi for the dusting first and build up second coat and up the pressure to 30psi to get the wet coat. The .2 needle should reduce the overspray but it needs to be wet. All a bit of a nerve wracking balancing act but, get it right, it is worth it.

F

Fenlander

Another great build! I'm going to do more of mine tomorrow. Your a very talented painter

That is very kind but I have developed a different way of working for the bike, car, truck kits. Because I have found a genre I really like, I just put more effort into it. Still a lot to learn.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
A classic car a classic kit build and with a lovely shine to it. What more can one say
That's a beauty

Kind regards

Robert