Revell 1/32 Arado Ar196 B

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Guy. Further progress this afternoon. Wing floats are attached, I have pre-drilled the supports to take some monofilament fishing line not sure what to go with as I have .25mm and .14mm. I think I used the .25mm on my previous Arado but this might look too heavy on the wing floats will have to experiment to see which one looks best. once the glue has set I will compare.

IMG_20190127_144357.jpg
IMG_20190127_144425.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I really like your neat approach to building, Vaughan. The rigging is something to look forward to.

Cheers,
Richard

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just seen this Vaughan. This is one 1/32 that Revell got right, a really good kit but watch out for the canopy, it is quite a tricky construction. You have done a great job so far....

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Barry it's a great kit and even though I built the two float version back in 2012 I still remember that the canopy was a real pain. I was looking into buying the resin version but Allycats models doesn't have it in stock and could be several weeks before they do. Rigging is complete not perfect, tension was difficult to maintain but it will pass.

IMG_20190129_170552.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I see you used fishing line for the rigging. I found that a good way to tighten the rigging after the fact is either a jos stick incense stick, or in my case a wooden cocktail stick. The first just smoulder and the heat it just enough to make the monofilament draw tight. Cocktail stick? Light it, blow it out and just use to warmth from the ember.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for the tip Ian. Will give it a shot.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the tip Ian. Will give it a shot.
What ever you do, make a few test rig's across some empty sprues. Its a good way to get a feel for how close you can go and how much slack you can shrink back. As can be expected the longer the line the more it can take.
You might be surprised over hoe much deflection you can get when pulling them this way.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Ian will practice first before committing myself.

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A beautiful build so far (as always!)
Keep up the great work Vaughan
:thumb2:

Paul

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Paul. I've given up the HGW belts and have ordered some Eduard pre painted PE belts from Hannants should arrive in the next couple of day and then I will get round to closing that fuselage.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Vaughan

I very clean and convincing build. The paint job is top notch.

John

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Belts arrived today hopefully I will have better luck with these. Still a bit of a fiddle but easier to thread the buckles and some belts are pre assembled. wish me luck.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Vaughan, the belts will look good when done. Saves a lot of time then if you make homemade ones like I did.

Cheers,
Richard