Revell 1/32 H145M LUH KSK

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Well for my "over the winter" build I will go out of my comfort zone with this .......

P1050909.JPG

Lots of reasons for my choice. I'm in need of a change from very small scale stuff. I have never built a helicopter and have really enjoyed seeing Steve B's 1/35 'Shark Mouth', Peter's Puma and also Andy's 1/72 helicopters. I am also taken with the large scale planes currently being built by Barry and Vaughan. Another reason is that I buy modelling magazines but have never used one of the articles to help with a build of my own - in a recent Airfix magazine was this .....

P1050910.JPG

Now this kit sells for between £20 - £30 so I couldn't pass up on this .....

P1050968.JPG

So there we go. It will be a slow build, mine always are, so only those with lots of patience should follow along :tongue-out3:

The kit is based on a 2005 kit with new parts for this version in 2017. Great big box and big parts. Sprues look good in a nice grey plastic ....

P1050967.JPG

All welcome, especially those with experience of large scale planes who can keep me on the straight and narrow. Tea, coffee and biccies will be served but no crumbs please. SWMBO is houseproud!!

Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Good luck with this Jim, I hope it goes together better than my EC-145!
Pete

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I shall try and keep an eye out for this as well Jim

Nice large scale should aid detailing

Will you be throwing any extras at it?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Andy - I wondered which member of The Rabble would be first in with that :tongue-out3:
Peter - we will see about the fit. Early work suggests it may not be too good :sad:
Allen - OK beer as well. But if you start singing rude songs or throw up on the carpet you're out!
Scottie - welcome
Simon - I don't think I will add much. The kit seems reasonably detailed although I haven't a clue how accurate it is. Just so long as it looks something like.

Couple of points already. As I said to Peter the fit looks a bit iffy. Also for a kit that is only around 15 years old there is a fair bit of flash. Ok not on the part really but even so :thinking:

P1050970.JPG

The article in the Airfix magazine flagged up that the seat belts were very poorly moulded near the top of the seat back. The author was right. He bought after market replacements but I think I'll just scratch new top straps.

P1050969.JPG

Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I found the seats were too wide for the cabin, which was too wide to fit into the fuselage. I'm not sure what the seat positions are in your version but there were two rows in the police version, but too close together to allow any legroom.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Did you blog your build? It is useful to have your input :thumb2:. My kit has 2 versions - troop carrier and surveillance. The surveillance I'm doing only has 4 seats in the back so things may fit ok although fore warned is fore armed.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ill tag along Jim , looks like a very interesting watch . Ill be at the back eating pistachios and throwing the shells :smiling5:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
JIm,
I too got this at a bargain price - you get a lot of plastic for your money! I can't decide which version to go for - I like the look of the beams on either side for rappelling, but also the sensor turret........................
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Pete
Did you blog your build? It is useful to have your input :thumb2:. My kit has 2 versions - troop carrier and surveillance. The surveillance I'm doing only has 4 seats in the back so things may fit ok although fore warned is fore armed.
Jim
I did Jim - can't find it now though. Title was something like "Pete's Eurocopter".
After spending many hours sanding the cabin so it would fit into the fuselage, and many hours sanding and polishing the windscreen, which was wider than the fuselage, I realised that what I should have done was to widen the fuselage with some plastic card along the join. That would have improved the fit of the interior as well as the windscreen.
Another problem I just remembered is that one of the external parts, not sure if it was the camera or searchlight, needed repainting, but after a couple of hours in Dettol the plastic disintegrated! Not heard of that before or since.
All in all, it was a 'challenging' build, overcome by sheer stubborness!
I'm sure you'll do a better job tha I did though.
Pete

EDIT: Here it is https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/petes-eurocopter.29645/

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Thanks for the link to your build and also for the suggestions. I appreciate it and it will help me to avoid some problems. As for me doing a better job - doubtful I think :rolling:
Centre instrument console needed a lot of fettling and some filling. Removed the shoulder straps from the seats and replaced them. Probably nothing like accurate but should paint up ok.
kit part ...
P1050969.JPG

new straps ....
P1050971.JPG

Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Seat belts look great Jim. I wasn't sure if the belts were supposed to go through the seat back, or fasten to it, and I don't think the mould designer was too sure either.
Pete

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Jim great job on those seat belts a 100%
improvement on the manufacturers attempt
Pete. :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks Peter and Pete. The seats have been primed and painted.
P1050976.JPG

Still problems with poor fit. There are box like structures behind the seats. They have brackets moulded on one part and slots for them to fit into on the second part. The slots were too big and had to have tiny styrene pieces put in otherwise there was a gap. When the glue is dry I'll trim the white bits flush.
P1050972.JPG

Now I want to pick some brains please :tongue-out:
Fitted to the back of the box thingies are two guns. They are quite nicely moulded with folded stocks. Anyone hazard a guess at what they are. Maybe they are not a specific type - just some generic gun :thinking:
P1050975.JPG

The bar/handle on the top will need tidying. Didn't notice until I saw the photos.

Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Chris - I knew someone would be knowledgeable enough to put a name to those guns :thumb2:
Thanks Scottie

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
To be more precise, it’s the G36K variant, that has a short barrel, and it looks like they’re equipped with the current LLM01 sight.