Revell 1/32 H145M LUH KSK

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Those seats look so much better than mine did!
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for the info on the guns :thumb2:. Been rather too hot to get much done but cooler today so might get to the bench later. The front end inside is done. Instrument panel decals were horrible - thick and wouldn't snuggle down onto the raised detail even with lots of MicroSol. They look OK if you're not too close so when all together I'm hoping it will be fine.
P1050978.JPG

P1050980.JPG

One thing about instrument decals. They very often, as in this case, show the IP all lit up as it would be in flight. Sat on the ground the IP would be powered down. Still all the colours look pretty :cool:

Two seats to go in. There is a bulkhead thing behind each seat. Between Revell and me we have messed them up. I have glued them not properly square and Revell have made them so they don't fit anyway :sad: I am going to have to sort that - luckily they will be easy to scratch build from some thin card.

Thanks again for following along :thumb2:

Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome Mick
I fitted the two front seats and corrected the c***-up with the shields/bulkheads behind them. The left side one just needed squaring up but the right hand one needed a new, slightly wider back. You might just notice the right side is wider and because it is scratched it is missing a bracket
P1050981.JPG

P1050982.JPG

P1050983.JPG

Four rear seats. A fair bit of masking and detail painting but at least I didn't choose to make the troop carrier version - that has nine!!

P1050984.JPG

Light weathering when all complete. Just some chipping around the entrance and on the pedals and some dusty dirt on the floor.

Jim

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for your kind words. Not much to show. The rear seats have been fitted. The instructions say to put them 42mm behind the bulkhead. That seems too far back and risks fouling the cabin roof so I put mine 5mm forward.
P1050985.JPG

Revell have been a bit clever with the cabin. Inner walls and ceiling are fitted and then the two fuselage halves fit around the already buttoned up cabin. Sounds like it should work and the magazine article of this build does say it works fine. My only worry is that if I don't get the inner walls/ceiling dead straight then the fuselage fit may be compromised - we'll see :rolling:
The inner walls and roof primed and painted.

P1050986.JPG

I mentioned on Barry's thread the other day that I have a right collection of paints. I have some Vallejo, Tamiya, Lifecolor, Humbrol etc etc. Stupid really as they all behave a bit differently. I should probably stick to one or two brands and get to know how they behave. Anyway the nearest colour I had for the interior was a Humbrol enamel so that's what it got!! :tongue-out3:

Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Helicopters looking good Jim, I too have an array of colours and they all have their purpose and usage especially as I'm a diorama builder. Keeping tabs on how they behave has become like riding a bicycle although some mishaps have occured.

The cockpit looks neat and I'm sure the parts will fit...just approach it patiently. Do a lot of dry trial runs.

Cheers,
Richard

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Revell have been a bit clever with the cabin. Inner walls and ceiling are fitted and then the two fuselage halves fit around the already buttoned up cabin. Sounds like it should work and the magazine article of this build does say it works fine. My only worry is that if I don't get the inner walls/ceiling dead straight then the fuselage fit may be compromised - we'll see :rolling:
That was a major problem with my EC145 - the fuselage halves didn't fit around the cabin. I spent ages sanding and filing to make it fit, then discovered the windscreen was too wide, so what I should have done id add some plastic to the fuselage halves to make it wider, rather than making the interior narrower.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
so what I should have done id add some plastic to the fuselage halves to make it wider, rather than making the interior narrower.
I'll definitely bear that in mind. Fore warned is fore armed :smiling2:

Hi Richard
I appreciate your thoughts on the paints. What you say makes a lot of sense.

Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Been doing a lot of dry fitting as Richard advised and I think I have sussed out where the fit problem may be. The windows fit into rebates in the fuselage halves and then the inner walls fit inside and press up against the window edges. Now the windows have to fit completely flush into their rebates - they don't!! In turn this stops the fuselage halves meeting. Easy to sort but the windows appeared to fit fine. A bit of sanding and the windows now seem to fit as they should. We will see. If you heard terrible language coming from Shropshire over the next few days you will know I was wrong!! :confounded:

I have put on the many decals on the inner walls. They were thick and had a lot of carrier film sticking out around the edges. I trimmed the film off very close. Two sides and the roof although the roof only had a few.

P1050988.JPG

Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Jim, I had that trouble as well, but even after making the windows fit well into their recesses, I still had to remove quite a lot from the "shoulders" of the inner cabin.
Does your windscreen fit OK?
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Thought I might have sorted it but never mind!
Don't know about the windscreen but if the rest is anything to go by it won't fit.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,
Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with the fit, but I am sure you will get it sorted if the work so far is anything to go by.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, I seem to have forgotten that this is a Revell kit and surprised they have detail for the inside unless it's a kit from Revell Germany which has better molding but can be testy when fitting too.

Be prepared to remove any interior material that may block fitting. Better the stuff that's unseen rather than the outer shell. Again I stress that you take your time before gluing.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
So we have an interior fitted to a floor ....
P1050985.JPG

.... and interior walls and a roof.....
P1050989.JPG

....and two fuselage halves with front door interior frames....
P1050991.JPG

After two hours of thinking, cursing and dry fitting I have come to the conclusion that these don't fit. I have had it taped together as best I can but as fast as I get one section together another bit pops loose! I can't quite figure out why it doesn't fit. I'll come back to it tomorrow 'cause I'm fed up today :confounded: I am also worried that too much handling will break something.
Two possibilities. I think it may be better to change the sequence of putting this together. Revell want the inner walls and roof fitted to the floor and then the two sides of the fuselage fitted around that. It may be better to fit the inner walls to the fuselage halves and then fit the floor and inner roof to one half and then close it up with the other half ???
Another possibility is to consider Richard's idea.
Be prepared to remove any interior material that may block fitting. Better the stuff that's unseen rather than the outer shell.

Yours fed up from Shropshire
Jim

• Sad
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As a rabble member I feel it's my duty to lower the tone immediately and say it will be a pleasure to watch you erect your big chopper.
Excuse me Jim.

Andy lock your doors Matron has just shot passed my window riding her bike heading in your direction, has a giant bar of soap in her basket. :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim. So i'm not the only one to battle with kits, I can understand it when I buy Eastern European kits bit seeing that even REVELL mistakes.
Looking at what you have achieved it looks good, art least you don't plaster every thing in glue:smiling3: