Revell 1/32 H145M LUH KSK

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is it an option to remove some of the thickness of the interior side panels?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Well, it looks good even if it doesn't fit together

Good luck fettling the various panels

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, sorry to here of your situation. It is challenging but when overcome there is satisfaction when solved.

This could be the same problem as fitting resin cockpits into plastic kit frames where there's a lot of fettling and sanding to fit. The positive thing is that the interior are shells and not solid so you can work on that and not the hull. I hope the designers have taken in account the thickness of the plastic on the hull. Blu-tac and tape the parts to see where they won't fit when mating.

Have you found where the parts don't fit or is hindering the assembly? There ought to be some crazing of the part. If only we had that film which dentists put between your teeth and ask you to bite which leaves an impression for them to grind away for a better fit.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Put some carbon paper between the inner and outer. Have you tried the canopy yet, with the outer fuselage taped together? You might find as I did that it's better to widen the fuselage rather than narrow the interior.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
John - erecting my big chopper is not easy - where did I put those little blue pills :anguished:
Scottie - I hope your faith in me is not misplaced.
Jakko - certainly scraping parts of the inner panels will help. There are a few obvious proud areas.
Simon - I have seen you cope with worse. I'm a long way from the 'bin it' stage but it will need some studying :smiling2:
Richard - thanks for such sound advice. I think that the various issues are small in themselves but added together they create bigger problems.
Peter
- how you got yours across the finish line and looking so nice is a tribute to your skills. That carbon paper trick sounds good. So glad you mentioned the fit of the canopy. Just checked it and the fit is poor but you're right - slightly widening the top front of the fuselage looks to sort it :thumb2:

I have spent a couple of hours dry fitting and making small adjustments and things seem to be looking better. I hope I haven't tempted fate with that comment :rolling:

Thanks again for you comments - encouraging and helpful.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Well I have fitted the windows which went OK - the fit was actually not bad. I have spent many hours dry fitting, scraping, sanding and then repeating the process. All the while I was frightened I'd wreck the interior or the windows would pop out :thinking: Anyway I got things to a stage where the inner walls and roof would fit on the floor and allow the two fuselage halves to to fit around that. It needed a lot of pressure to get things to join but at least the seams closed up.
So I glued it and clamped it. Wicked in a load of liquid cement and now it will sit there until tomorrow :tongue-out: Just hope it doesn't all spring apart or I find something inside has come loose.
P1050995.JPG

Underneath
P1050997.JPG

At his stage I'm not too bothered about the warped tail end - I'll sort that later. It will come together.
P1050996.JPG

So fingers crossed for tomorrow. It will be Friday 13th but hey-ho my birthday is the 13th and our house number is 13 so maybe a good omen :thumb2:
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
The good wishes and finger crossing seems to have worked :smiling:

Removed the clamps. The underneath seems solid but I was able to glue to the base as well as along the joins which helped. Filling to do but that's ok. There is a large flat piece which fills the gap and that will add strength.:cool:
P1060001.JPG

The rear top join opened so it was re-glued and clamped. It didn't actually open that much. Because the two top joins will have bits fitted over them I cut some styrene sheet, slathered Contacta on the bits and stuck them over the joints.
P1050999.JPG

The front join is deliberately slightly open so that the canopy sort of fits :rolling:. Still got that tail to join.

So onwards and upwards.
P1050998.JPG

....... and the windows didn't pop loose :cool:

Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice work getting things to line up as they should — or as close to that as you can apparently get with this kit, anyway :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Jim nicely done :thumb2:, I was holding my breath then thought better not so crossed eveything I could insert.
Keep up the good work.
Pete.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking good Jim. Watch out for the undercarriage frame on that large flat piece under the fuselage. Mine was distorted and one of the legs broke off when I straightened it.
Isn't it a shame about the fit issues, the detail in the kit is lovely.
Pete

Edit: apart from the seats!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well done Jim, that's the thing with flying things...fitting is crucial so lots of pre-work and testing. There's no mud in the sky or rusting of aluminum to hide bad fit or even battle damage.

Cheers,
Richard

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
You had me on the edge of my seat :flushed: Happy to see its playing ball now...your usual methodical approach has paid off yet again sir:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking at the struggle you have had and over come I can see why Iv'e only built one plane!
Great work Jim.