Revell 1/32 Tornado GR1 - Desert War

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Ian. I have decided to leave it as it is having looked at a number of photos.

Anyway - final fittings done and a couple of teaser shots. I will do a complete build tonight or tomorrow after I get a chance to do some decent pics.

I have decided it looks better to have the cockpit closed with the wings swept back. So a couple of shots of the pit before fixing the canopy.
6D38567C-D6EF-4977-B9D1-83FC5BB560AA.jpeg

64B62174-6EEB-4F3A-8FED-2D176B908034.jpeg

One of the finished aircraft.
ACE0B7B6-89D3-46FF-925B-5A1825078859.jpeg

To summarise, a 1990’s vintage kit, fit OK, engineering a bit iffy, a bit lacking in detail, needs a lot of filler and sanding. But, not a bad kit and while mine was done as a very basic build, you could throw a lot of detailing at it and get a stunner.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Barry in my book it is a stunner you have built an whats the raf doin like the us air force an only putting one british roundel on the left wing now ? an can you put a close up pic up of the nose art as ive been tryin to read whats said in the white square ?
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Barry in my book it is a stunner you have built
Agreed, it looks very good.

an whats the raf doin like the us air force an only putting one british roundel on the left wing now ?
The USAAF started doing that to avoid confusion with other nationalities, who invariably had a roundel on each wing. The bars to both sides of the star are there for the same reason. Not sure what the RAF’s reason in the 1990s was, though.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Barry in my book it is a stunner you have built an whats the raf doin like the us air force an only putting one british roundel on the left wing now ? an can you put a close up pic up of the nose art as ive been tryin to read whats said in the white square ?
chris
Hi Christopher. Thanks for that. This kit is the first time I have seen the RAF follow that US practise and I dont know why... It is the same on the underside and there is no roundel or fin flash on the sides either.

I will get a better shot of the nose art, both sides, when I do my completed thread.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
I have enjoyed following your build and picked up a lot of useful tips and ideas. The end result is great. I look forward to more photos.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've just read through the entire thread and what a masterclass it has been.
Even though jets are not my thang there is much to learn here.
and I found Alan G's knowledgeable comments about the staining very interesting too :thumb2:
Great Result, Barry(not that we expect anything else!)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Will look for the completed build thread Barry.

Re the single roundels, given modern fighters carry long distance optics, infra red, IFF etc, it's probably not important to adorn the aircraft with national markings on all surfaces any longer. The latest RAF aircraft (Typhoon etc) carry only one roundel per wing. Probably saves on maintenance paint time, and is less compromising to radar absorbent paint surfaces. Just my thoughts.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Joe yes what with all the answer's you have given us its given me food for thought in thinkin you are proberly right on this subject
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
With modern fighters costing up to £90M each, they have to save a few pennies on the markings... :rolling:
Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice Barry. My comment about the tail was just a 'hard to go over the top' kind of thing. Not that it needed more :tongue-out3:
Can't wait to see the roll out pictures.

My 5c worth about the wing markings.......We have all been there. They ran out of decals of smudged it with to much Decal softener :smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I know your preferences for expensive, top of the art kits Barry, but if you can get stunning results like this from run-of-the-mill offerings, I don't know why you need to waste your pennies!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I know your preferences for expensive, top of the art kits Barry, but if you can get stunning results like this from run-of-the-mill offerings, I don't know why you need to waste your pennies!
HI Dave this is just my opinion but im like barry in my opinion the big 1/32 scale kits are yes exspensive but I think you get oh so much more detail an extras in these big kits than you do in say a 1/48 th or the 1/72 scale kits an I think they look a lot better when built . Anyone else got an opinion on this ? an I have two big kits in 1/32 scale to build when im ready
Chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lovely looking Tonka Barry. Quality build as always.
Cheers
Paul