Revell 1/32 Tornado GR1 - Desert War

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I decided to install the main undercarriage after looking at how it fixes in place. No real issues and a good fit.
F86B4BBE-CD1B-4FA9-9AE2-50550B80205A.jpeg

2FBA5FDF-0455-4327-8CF6-BD05DBB97F71.jpeg

I also fitted the tail so now it really looks like a Tonka.
4AEA9E37-D593-40C3-9C87-2EAB80945EE8.jpeg

What about this? It looks to me as if a piece should fit at the back. Somehow this looks unfinished. Any ideas on how to make this area look better? Not found any photos of this area.
BDC4DA52-4961-4608-8910-8960E8B87043.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Undercarriage looks good. I know earlier you were worried anout how sturdy the white metal/styrene would be. Hope it is ok. I must confess that the back view looks incomplete but sorry I can't help. I am sure those with more knowledge will come up with something.
Jim

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ask Jakko Barry He's very knowelable ? an shouldn't there be some kind of covers that fit there for revese thrust ?
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That is a great photo thanks Jim. A little bit of work with the file and perhaps a drop of filler will make it look a lot better. Some scrap plastic... Be a bit of fun.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ask Jakko Barry He's very knowelable ?
Thanks for the compliment, but Tornado fighter jets aren’t one of my areas of particular knowledge :smiling3:

After looking at the photo Jim posted, I get the impression there’s a piece missing on the kit at the base of the fin, but it could just as well be that it’s not moulded with all the detail it should have.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have spent a long while priming. A whole 60ml bottle of black primer later we have this lot.
38CB706F-3C15-4015-9ACD-44F067A2A0A6.jpeg

After checking I find I have corrective work on these. Mostly seams for which Mr Dissolved Putty and sanding sticks will do.

6886B7F9-3BBA-4504-AD62-8BA66EC37E6E.jpeg

I am surprised at how little is needed on the airframe given the amount of sanding was needed to get it this far.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Glad the primer didn't show up many issues. Shows what a good job you did before.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Jim.
MRP primer is very ‘harsh’ showing up the smallest marks and scratches. I am wondering whether a good plan is to use a micro filler primer for the second primer coat, after treating the main flaws to get the best of both worlds. Something to try when I get one.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Last night was just filling and sanding, tonight I will apply what should be the last coat of black primer over the top. So it is not worth publishing more photos just yet.

So, perhaps a word about the 'paint plan'...

A single solid all over colour can be so boring and, what is more, look even more toy-like than a 'solid' multi-colour scheme. The work is to make it look interesting and the black basing helps with this because colour modulation is part of the solution.

The RAF applied Desert Pink over the standard camo scheme and I have read of some modellers doing the same. I do not think it necessary to go so far as to apply a full RAF camo first but I do want to give that 'feel'. My answer will be to tinge the black base with RAF Dark Green, not a full coat, just a light one perhaps a little denser in places where I expect the Desert Pink to be thinnest.

I think I will start with some of the metalalliser and detail areas and I will mask them off before applying the Desert Pink. Fortunately MRP metallics do mask OK but I will need to de-tac a little just for safety.

I plan to use AKI Weathering Pencils for some of the weathering, alongside their washes. It will be my first use of these pencils and I am awaiting a delivery from John.

I am unused to modern jets so there is a little more experimantation involved in my weathering, less chipping than normal perhaps. This really is why I am building this cheap Revell kit as my first modern jet.

Speaking of modern jets.............................

This stage in a build is when my thoughts turn to my next one and I do some research. You can see what I have in my stash in my signature and I am planning to build all the modern jets listed before the bf110 and Raiden.

As you can see the Kitty Hawk F-5 Tiger is next up and based on the Bronco I have very low expectations. I just want to get this out of the way. If this kit is as bad as the Bronco it will not get finished but a glance at the plastic is promising as they look bettter moldings than the Bronco with a better quality plastic. Looking closely the parts will still need a lot of clean-up, there is a lot of 'burring' and there are some anomalies in the instructions but I was told by someone over the weekend that it builds up well.... We shall see....

Given my low expectations it may not be too long before I start the next.... So what should it be after the Tiger?
Trumpeter F18E
Trumpeter F14B
Tamiya F16C Bloc 50
Tamiya F15C

I am not yet sure.... what do you think?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I’d like to see the tamiya f16 barry , btw what paint are you planning on using for the desert pink ,do MRP do one or are you going to have to mix it?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
F18 or the F14 THATS WHAT I THINK as they will be built by the time I do mine an it will give me a great foreknowgle an pitfalls to avoid in advance but that's me bein selfish :smiling::smiling::smiling:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I’d like to see the tamiya f16 barry , btw what paint are you planning on using for the desert pink ,do MRP do one or are you going to have to mix it?
No mixing needed, MRP 185 Desert Pink does the job. The MRP range is very extensive and growing. Take a look by Googling ‘Mr Paint’ their website and bottle labelling really helps you get to the right colour.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Interesting. Over the years I have tried all sorts of paints resulting in a shelf full of Tamiya, Vallejo, Humbrol etc. Trouble is they all behave slightly differently and so I never really get to know a paint's characteristics. Over the past year or so I have thought that I really ought to rethink my paint stock but decision making is not my forte :rolling: I have just read through your review thread of MRP Paints from 2017 and found it really useful - usage, cost, decalling etc all covered :thumb2:
Certainly food for thought so I shall watch your painting process here carefully.

Next build - maybe you have earned a nice, well fitting Tamiya :smiling:

Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
One quick catch up. I have been doing some painting on smaller parts. Desert Pink soon and there is a lot of that to do ...

592C0BCF-7B01-4A82-8451-DD4ED86F7A5A.jpeg

This was my first try spraying with the MRP clear paints. Just as nice to work with as other MRP products.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Still high regard for MRP paint :thumb2: Looking forward to the colour coat.
Jim