Revell 1/32 Typhoon 1B with car door canopy (Build)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Those scratched flaps look great. Your additions to the cockpit have really paid dividends.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, on top of the stripes, the nose was painted white and a single yellow band on the top of each wing. Thanks for the Video, enjoyed it.

Only just recently I repainted the Typhoon with the correct shade of grey and sharper demarkation between the camouflage. I've posted them on the finished thread.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you very much for the comments Jim and Steven,

I have some more new pictures in the finishe section. It's been repainted. You'll see the marked difference.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
In the early days, many Typhoons were shot down by friendly fire thinking they were Focke Wulfs so a solution was needed. It was decided that stripes be painted on the underside of the wing as that would be the area spotted by ground gunners. These stripes were different than the D-Day identification stripes being thinner and with two more stripes added.
Even with the stripes friendly planes still mistakenly shot at Typhoons in the heat of battle so some spotted white painted noses and a yellow band across each wing.

53.jpg 54.jpg

White was sprayed first and then masked to take the black and then covered over. Extra white then was sprayed over the propeller tips as a base for the yelloe later.

55.jpg 56.jpg

The spinner too recieved the extra white paint. It must have been the largest spinner cone of its time.

57.jpg

Thats it for now...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,

This was my first run by spraying the dark green freehand without masking. I would later re-mask and spray both the green and dark grey.

58.jpg 59.jpg

Care was taken not to let the paint creep under the masking of the canopy. I used enamel Humbrol paints for this and had to occasionally brush off the build up of paint powder in the corners.

60.jpg More to come later.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Somebody was saying that my builds were neat and tidy...:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: I told them the workbench was in chaos. The pictures above was without the blue backing paper I usually use as a backdrop for my photography. Now you see it.

The table area space is 4'x2' but I always end up using only a clear space of 10"x10"...sometimes smaller. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Scottie, I think we all need wives to remind us to clean up. :tears-of-joy: I recycle and found the strawberry syrup bottle handy to contain water...saves time getting up to get water from the bathroom or kitchen sink. It has a squirt tip so I can get precise amounts of water when cleaning up my airbrush.

More on the finishing touches...

62.jpg

The colours darken a little after a coat of varnish. It's now ready for decaling...lets break out the decal juice...

61.jpg

I forgot to elaborate on the landing gear. Brake lines were fitted using copper wire with strips of foil for fasteners. The picture also show the weathered flaps.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice Richard. I notice the green camo is a lot darker now. Is that because of what you have done or because of the lighting from the camera?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, thanks. I have a caption under the first picture saying it gets darker after a coat of varnish. Happens most of the time with Humbrol enamel matts. Actually it also happens in printing.

Are you referring to the images here of the latest in the completed build section?

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The photo above "Care was taken not to let paint creep....." and the one below " More on the finishing touches"

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The photo above "Care was taken not to let paint creep....." and the one below " More on the finishing touches"

Ok then Steve, it's the second last picture caption after More on finishing touches. No difference in lighting, just the varnish reacting to the paint darkening it.

Cheers,
Richard

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
My desk ends up like that, I always start off with a large clear working space but in the heat of battle I end up with a six inch square clear space. I'm enjoying following the build, lots of useful tips thanks Richard.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You're welcome Mick...finally decided to put up shelves and clear the work place after all these years. Wonder if it will affect the mojo.:thinking:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I'm back with the final shots of the build showing the under belly close up and...

70.jpg

...further of...

71.jpg

This is the shot with the feathered edge camo which was wrong and...

64.jpg

...this with the correct hard edge camo and tinted grey. Antennae wiring has been applied as well as chipping.

74.jpg

I can understand the size of this kite as I have stood under a SeaFury at the AWM and its huge.

I apologise as this came in spurts with remodelling my workbench and shelves and the trip after the Christmas holidays that got in the way. Hope you liked the build.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Well worth the wait. It looks superb. These 1/32 scale planes make into big models.
Jim
That bench of yours sure needs a tidy up. I always saw you as a neat and tidy operator :tongue-out3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Well worth the wait. It looks superb. These 1/32 scale planes make into big models.
Jim
That bench of yours sure needs a tidy up. I always saw you as a neat and tidy operator :tongue-out3:

I think I'm more productive with mess all around me..if looks could kill.

Seen my workbench lately?...

room5.jpg

room4.jpg

So neat I must have swept away the mojo... :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Now that bench, Richard, is one to be proud of. How long will it last? :rolling:
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dunno...I'm not betting on it :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard