Revell 1/32 Typhoon 1B with car door canopy (Build)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Everyone,

Here's Henry Talalla's Typhoon or near enough as he may have been shot down in a later bubble four bladed version of the rocket firing Typhoon. It is in his squadron markings, 182Sqd. The car door version was being switched just before D-Day with the upgraded bubbled canopy version and since only the CO has a constant aircraft of his own, the others would fly in anything operational and assigned to them on that day. I'm pretty sure Henry would have flown the car door version or the B1 when joining his squadron.

The kit is a Revell 1/32 scale with raised panel lines and covered with rivets. These all had to be sanded down and panel lines re-scribed. Early on I had decided I would not show the engine but one was provided that can be super detailed if one so chooses. Also I wanted to correct the wheel wells.

1.jpg

I just painted the engine black and hoped it wasn't visible in any openings. The kit wheel well sides were molded flush with the contours of the door flap. But in reality it was boxed shaped on the inside.

2.jpg

I cut away one side and proceeded to cut the other along the edge of the well.

3.jpg

Meanwhile I thought the flaps ought to shown open as well...living dangerously was I...so cut away I did.

4.jpg

Whatever was cut was replaced with plastic card...

5.jpg

Everything was mirrored for the other side....

6.jpg

The rivet impressions hide the rscribed panel lines. The kit was peppered with it...very measled like.

7.jpg

From the inside it looked like this. The boxed frames held everything in place inside the well. This also shows how thick and robust the Typhoon wings were.

8.jpg

More later...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here's more of the wheel well construction. I needed to replicate piping and servo units in the well and I found resistors that looked like them.

8a.jpg9.jpg

With as much reference that I could find I made the well look as busy as it could be.

10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

With some paint and weathering it looked a bit better but if I had known then that I do now is that wheel wells on Typhoons were silver in colour. Well I could remask and do it all over again but it's too much trouble...perhaps one day. So far no one has looked under.

15a.jpg

Lots of puttying to the joints coming up.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Another rather poor kit getting the RF treatment. The wheel wells look great. Just sanding and rescribing a couple of panel lines is time consuming but tackling all of them - that's dedication.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice tip with the resistors. I hope the electrics in your house still work.:smiling5: Stunning work as always:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim and Steve for commenting. Well the kit was sitting around on the shelf and I had spare time plus it was theraputic. Even with three faced wire ring it's been tripping quite often during thunderstorms and I had nothing to do with it...I'm scared stiff at touching any wires in the house.

The Typhoon had very large barn door flaps which I wanted to show dropped. Unfortunately they were molded shut so I cut it and created the individual frame with pre drilled card and rod styrene. Here are the flaps...

16.jpg

Obviously when anything is cut away gaps need to be filled or blocked...

13.jpg
14.jpg

And sanded...

15.jpg
17a.jpg

Test fitted...

18.jpg

Painted and weathered....

19.jpg

I painted the reverse side black as the cockpit came in a turbular frame that you could see right through to the bottom.

20.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ya'll,
Now we're moving onto the fuselage. The side walls were practically devoid of any ribbing frames so I made some up with plastic strips. I based the measurement of the sections on the rivet detail on the outer fuselage.
21.jpg

The firewall was attached to the engine so that had to be installed. As mentioned, the engine would be a nice piece to detail but I wasn't intending to so its just painted in black.

22.jpg23.jpg

I created more detail to the left door panel

24.jpg

The right fuselage ribbing and frame was duplicated...the difference was that the door is in the opened position.

25.jpg

Attention was paid to the door panelling. The two raised injector pin marks were being removed with a sharp blade...one has already been sliced off.

26.jpg

If you wanna see more check out the next posting.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here's more to the interior but real bad pictures. The camera keeps focusing the foreground.

The kit comes with a flat instrument panel to stick a large piece of decal. I photocopied the decal and using that as a template, I cut out panels and drilled bezels for the instruments. I did the usual sandwiching of decal and panels to the kit instrument panel. The side consoles were also enhanced with knobs and a raised compass. I painted the facings carefully in black and dropped Future into the drilled out bezels to create glass covers for the instruments.

27.jpg28.jpg29.jpg

The kit seat was flat at the bottom so I cut that out and created a bucket. This is where the parachute normally fits and the pilot sits on it. I also kneaded up a back cussion.

31.jpg

The seat was attached to the back armour plate and the floor had enough room for the bucket extension. Fixed on the gun sight, joystick and pedals. I didn't have enough reference to tell if the seats were made from the same material as the Spitfire seats so I left it in interior green.

30.jpg

All the parts are left unglued for easy painting and re-attaching.

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Great to see all of the new details you're adding to this model Richard ;).
Those resistors look nice too in the well...
Cheers, Steven

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi that's a masteclass in scratch building Richard, very crip and clean :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:.
Old Puffer Pete.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Steven and Pete. Apparently sources say that the kit is pretty accurate in surface detail for an old model. All it needed were the few extras to ham it up.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Get ready for more pictures of the cockpit after some painting. A few more bits and bobs like circuit boxes and knobs were added.

32.jpg

The leather back cushion recieved a coat of red brown. Dark washes and lighter shades of brown were later painted on.

33.jpg34.jpg35.jpg

My usual seat belts out of masking tape were attached with some CA glue and the whole assembly weathered with washes and painted highlights.

36.jpg

Dials and switches were picked out with white and red...finally the dash board can be seen clearly.

37.jpg38.jpg39.jpg40.jpg

Bit by bit the dark wash and highlights with drybrushing brought the canopy to life.

41.jpg

There is still the seam line I missed on the gun sight. The camera can always pick up these details on close up. Filler can be seen just ahead of the cockpit to fill a dimple.

42.jpg

Soon I'll close the fuselage.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
After all innards were completed, the basic closing of the main parts that make up the aircrafts body, wings and tail is done. You can see visible the scribbed panel lines on the aircrafts surface. The kit fit was pretty good for an old mold. There were gaps for the engine panel that was given to expose the enging if one wanted to.

43.jpg

The wing roots fit so well that minimal filler was needed only for dimples at attachment points seen here just forward of the cockpit.

44.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richard,
Missed this up to know but the magic is already showing great work so far.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Bit late to this build myself but a fantastic read none the less. Loving your scratch building

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey thanks guys, no worries as posts get shifted down the pecking order quite quickly here and can be missed.

The Typhoon is one of the least featured planes but is getting some coverage lately at D-Day reunions. Little known fact that they slowed down German reaction for counter attacks hitting ground targets trying to reach the beach that many thought was Hitlers reluctance to deploy his forces. No doubt the main heavy armour was kept to the North there were elements of Rommels make shift defence armour that were decimated everytime they came out of cover by aerial bomb or rocket attacks by fighter bombers like the Typhoon. Only well concealed anti-tank guns or small tank company's travelling by night hindered the Allied advance. Any large German columns in daylight on roads were sitting ducks for allied fighter bombers.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
I don't know what league of modellers your in but one day I'd like to be in it ! Dedication coupled with madness produces work like yours, that office is brilliant, along with the undercarriage.
No doubt you have seen the footage on U tube of Typhoons causing havoc in France , certainly lived up to their name .
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ross and John, the large space in the Typhoon cockpit allowed for some extra work so I went for it... had a few swigs from the whiskey bottle first to calm the nerves...I think that did the trick John. :tongue-out3: There are no terror leagues of modelers, just loonie ones. :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

It was a coincedence when I was researching for the Typhoon that I found out about the Talalla brothers. One of them actually flew one of my favorite planes. Also an article in a magazine featured a build of a 1/48 scaled Typhoon in the same squadron markings as Henry Talalla was from which was another coincedance. I had only pieced together the engine and left the kit in the stash for years so the timing was right.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok...I broke out the airbrush and did a pre-flight check... "Flaps, check...magnetos, check...oil gauges and switches on, check...brakes on, check...contact...BANG!! SPLUTTER!!...VROOOOM!!"

With all checked out smoothly grey primer was sprayed on...then the pre-shading with diluted Nato Black commenced... at 1/32 it was easy keeping the lines consistant and straight.

45.jpg

Everything that needed coating and pre-shading was covered...

46.jpg

I forgot that I had added a modification like some sort of a strengthening structure just ahead of the navigational light benind the cockpit...

47.jpg

I blu tac'd all the flap and covers before attacking the underside...

48.jpg

Stain streaks were added with the airbrush at this stage, hopefully they would appear more subtle under the base coat of paint.

49.jpg50.jpg51.jpg

Under primer you can see the newly added screw heads from plastic rod slices and notched in the center. The molding was so soft that these had to be replaced.

52.jpg

That's it...next the anti Focke Wulf stripes...

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
This video on U tube has a very interesting section on the white markings, apparently quite a few Typhoons were shot down by friendly fire, being mistaken for German 109's, resulted in the planes having white lines on them prior to the landings.

John.

Last edited: