Revell 1/35 Dingo GE A3.3 PatSi Bargain Build.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I failed dismally with my Kfir build, so I'm turning to this................ Revell Dingo 2.jpg

I got this on ebay for £9.99 delivered, so it is a real bargain. 226 parts in the nasty green Revell plastic 4 vinyl tyres, and a clear sprue for the windows.
I'll put the sprue pictures up tomorrow - I've noticed that there is a couple of nasty sink marks on one side of the body ( but not the other ), in a really visible position, so it's not going to be a filler free build...............
Dave

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
look forward to this since ive got the same kit last month too

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK, sprue shots....................P1060810.JPGP1060811.JPGP1060812.JPGP1060813.JPG
P1060809.JPG
I'm not a fan of the Revell green plastic - it's not the best & needs careful edge preparation. The detail is somewhat soft P1060814.JPGP1060816.JPG

There are sink marks & ejector pin marks in a few places, most of which will be invisible, apart from this..P1060815.JPG
The other side is OK.
Revell instructions as normal - piece of wire for aerials taped to the front P1060818.JPG
There are three colour choices, 2 in Afghanistan schemes & 1 in NATO 3-colour
P1060817.JPG
As usual Revell reference all their own colours, with various mixes called up. I'll be using my own paints..............
I made the earlier version a few years ago - the main difference is the load area at the rear - on the earlier, it was canvas, this is properly boxed in.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction of the chassis - ladder frame, with all separate cross membersP1060819.JPGP1060820.JPG
18 parts - It's adviseable to remove the cross members singly from the sprues just before adding them, some are very similar, apart from the length!
The chassis will be left overnight to ensure that it dries squarely.
One odd thing in the instructions, the engine is assembled at stage 5. It isn't actually fitted until 2 pages later, at stage 27..................... there are several other examples of premature assembly!
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice work Dave :thumb2: , had built the other one some years ago and the fit was pretty good.
Luckily no sink marks on mine, too bad their QC misses a lot but hey the're cheap kits.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chassis completed & primed - Revell would have you add the wheels at this stage, but no,no,noP1060835.JPGP1060836.JPG
It's quite startling how much better it looks, when you cover up that nasty dark green plastic!
I'll have to decide whether to go with the NATO 3-colour scheme, or the Afghanistan variant - time to look in the paint box.....................
Dave
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Managed to find all the colours I need for an Afghanistan 3-colour camo scheme - chassis sprayed with the lightest of these, MiG German Sand BeigeDSCF0079.JPG
I assembled the rear cargo section & primed
DSCF0080.JPG
The interior has been mostly assembled, ready for the base coat, detail painting & decals.
DSCF0081.JPGDSCF0082.JPG

The interior is mostly NATO green, with dark grey fittings & seats.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Interior finished, decalled, detail painted, washed & ready for boxing up - couldn't resist a dry fit to the chassis, very good
DSCF0090.JPGDSCF0089.JPG

Tyres kebabed, ready for painting & other bits waiting for assemblyDSCF0091.JPG
I'm wanting to finish this before I get 'stug' into the GB..................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Body assembled - I think I'll need a touch of filler around the 'A' pillars on one side - dry fitted to chassis.DSCF0092.JPGDSCF0095.JPG
The wheels make an appearance, and a dry fit to the chassis reveal it's a tripod, not a quadruped at the moment, so a little adjustment needed. It all looks very messy at the moment - a coat of primer will soon fix that.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Can't go wrong for under a tenner :thumb2: The kit doesn't look bad either, some issues but the detail is quite nice and the fit hasn't caused problems. Looking good.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Body & Load Area added to chassis & now sits on all 4 wheels.DSCF0098.JPGDSCF0099.JPG
All the glazing has been done, doors dry fitted.....................
I didn't need any filler after all - what I thought was a gap is the snorkel mount point. A few more bits to be added ( bonnet etc ), then I can properly prime & I'll see the end of the green plastic!
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see the Dingo in the GB. You've done a crackin job of the build. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the wet stuff

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Overall Mig German Sand BeigeDSCF0106.JPGDSCF0107.JPG
Still missing are the spindly mirrors, the aerials, and the remote weapon system. I'm going to use the 0.2mm airbrush to add the camo freehand - Hope we have some actual daylight tomorrow, it makes it much easier to see the wet paint.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Camouflage applied Mig German Sand Brown & German Grey Beige with 0.2mm airbrush ( Scale Model Shop - 091, from John, a year or so ago )DSCF0108.JPG
I dropped the air pressure to around 1 bar (15 psi ), and thinned the paint a little bit more than normalDSCF0110.JPGDSCF0111.JPGDSCF0112.JPGDSCF0113.JPG
I did note that an alternative to to sand brown was 'flesh', and now I can see why!
I'm going to let this dry thoroughly before sealing it in with a coat of gloss vanish, ready for decals & washes.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Decals applied, washes, and sealed in with matt varnish. Window masks removed ( can't really say thw Wilder Quick Mask was any better, or worse than my artists' masking fluid! )DSCF0125.JPGDSCF0127.JPGDSCF0128.JPG
The Remote weapons system has been primed & ready now for detail painting. There are quite a few detail parts to add, wing mirrors, wipers etc and the lights........................
I think the next pictures will appear in the 'completed' section
Dave