Revell 1/35 Opel K38 Kadett ( ICM rebox )

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As my Zvezda Gaz M1 is progressing, I've decided to start another car - it's in the military section, because I'll do it in Wehrmacht service
revell opel kadett.jpg
It's contemporary with the M1 - starting production in 1936.
I'll put up some sprue shots tomorrow, the box is the usual flimsy end opening box, but the plastic parts are exactly the same as the ICM original, including the re-sealable bag! The instructions are usual Revell, better than the ICM, in my opinion, much clearer ( and bigger ). The only poor part of the Revell instructions is insisting on colour call outs referencing their own paints.
You can pick up the Revell boxing several pounds cheaper than the original boxing! - v.important!!
Dave

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like quite good kit … Though … hang on, did they mould the steering wheel in two pieces? Outer ring and hub with spokes?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
yes - a somewhat odd method of moulding, but shouldn't present any problems - I've just looked at the other 1/35 ICM cars in my stash - the Opel Kapitan & Admiral, and the Benz G4, and they all have the same feature!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Don't feel like the Gaz M1 today, so construction of the Kadett begins....................
DSCF0824.JPG
The engine is a real tweezer job - lots of tiny parts - I wouldn't bother, but it is integral with the front axle ( independent suspension? )

The floor pan - front seats assembled & dry fitted, the firewall & dashboard fitted.
DSCF0825.JPG

I'm trying to work out the best method of assembling/painting the body. The Kadett is a small model, and some of the parts are very fragile - I'll have to cement some parts & clean up after it has dried, trying to do this on removal from the sprue will lead to major casualties!
Dave

• Wow

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
independent suspension?
I did some reading up on this type of Kadett, and apparently the suspension is based off the Dubonnet suspension:

Dubonnet-Federung.jpg (Wikipedia)

Inside the housing are a coil spring and shock absorber, and because there is one on each side, it indeed has independent suspension that apparently gave a good ride (for the day) but needed careful maintenance.

General Motors owned the rights to this, and Opel was already part of GM back then — which, incidentally, lead to a degree of official distrust in Opel vehicles in Nazi Germany. Ironically, of course, the Blitz afterward became the iconic Wehrmacht lorry of the war :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Neither had I, and looking at your kit parts I wondered what the big blobs inboard of the brake drums were. Now I know :smiling3:

From the Wikipedia article, it seems it wasn’t a great success because of the maintenance and adjustment needed to keep it in shape. When simpler suspensions became available, I guess this one fell by the wayside.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
It must be an Opel thing - I've just looked at the ICM Opel Kapitan & Admiral models, and those have a similar set up
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I would guess that on European cars, you’ll only find it on Opels (and possibly Vauxhalls?), because like I said, GM owned the patent. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about cars than I am can say if it was used on American GM vehicles at all?

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looks an interesting car Dave. I'm not that knowledgeable about cars of that age, but the Citroen 2CV had a variation of the suspension which had springs in a can connected front to rear on each side, the idea being you could drive it across a ploughed field without breaking eggs.

• Wow

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Despite the heat - I've managed to progress with this tiny car.......................
DSCF0836.JPGDSCF0838.JPG
Oddly enough, there's no mention of the instrument decals in the instructions - but they are there.
The heat dries things up so quickly, not only paint, but the glue. The TET doesn't give you any time before it's set!
This is such a small car, I'm brush painting it - don't think the airbrush would be a good idea.........
Dave
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm afraid this is abandoned - I had difficulty in getting the roof & windows to fit, and in attempting to cure this dropped the whole thing - irreparable damage - & rather than trying to put it back together - it has now been binned. I think I caused the poor fit in my attempt to ease the paint sequence - with bad consequences................
Dave