Revell 1:48 Eurofighter Typhoon

F

Fenlander

Next aircraft under way, I still hate masking canopies so I don't know why I keep putting myself through this....

Anyway, I didn't do the box and sprue pics this time as I was too keen to get building.

Not a bad kit, my first proper modern jet kit and I have to say I have found it a bit complex in areas trying to work out where some of the bits go and how they should fit. Instructions not to clear in places. As ever with jets like these, the intakes at the front need to be smooth and clear, the fit on this kit isn't too good so a bit of filling and sanding as they are a bit of an eye puller.

As mentioned before, but repeated here for continuity, the canopy comes with a thick mould line right down its back. I was very nervous about sanding and re-polishing this but it didn't go too bad apart from getting a small crack in the canopy while putting bluetak in to protect it (!)

Only thing I have altered is is the APU (Auxillary Power Unit) exhaust. On the model it is an indentation on the port side of the fuselage just above the wing root. There is a resin modification for this which involves cutting out the indentation and fitting the resin part underneath which results in a pipe coming through the indentation. I drilled it out and cut a piece of sprue. I then sanded the sprue to fit the hole where the indentation was and I then drilled out the sprue. This was glued in place and 'blended' using liquid cement. Looks not to bad and cost nothing.....

Picies so far.

View attachment 21759

View attachment 21760

View attachment 21761

View attachment 21762

View attachment 21763

View attachment 21764

View attachment 21765

View attachment 21766

IMG_1347..jpg

IMG_1349..jpg

IMG_1350..jpg

IMG_1352..jpg

IMG_1351..jpg

IMG_1355..jpg

IMG_1358..jpg

IMG_1354..jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good graham, btw,ive looked at some pics and there IS a ridge running down the middle of the canopy on the real thing!!..........Only kidding,bet you were cursing then werent you!!? The apu is one thing that definitely needs sorting, your fix is great , ive also thought of using drinking straw of the right section,maybe ill try that. keep the pics coming its all useful reference for me and anyone else planning this kit, cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Not what you would call an 'interesting' build, just appears to go together. It is one of those models where it really is better to paint and build, paint and build. I have given it it's base coat colour and am now debating as to fitting the pylons prior to washing or after. Big pros and cons for both, such a big flat area on this with the problems of lots of exposed details in different colours. Still, it is a learning curve. Much as I am enjoying this kit, modern jets are far more complex to get right than WWII. I naively thought that as it was grey all over, it would be a doddle to paint. No such luck lol. Anyway, here she is in Vallejo Model Air Barley Grey with Tamiya XF19 nose cone.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looking good graham,lovely paint job! keep us up to date ,cheers tony

D

dubster72

Nice smooth paint job Graham, it's looking very good so far. Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks great Graham. I've just ordered the same model and was doing a bit of research when google led me back to the forum!

I love the look of this aircraft - in my opinion one of the best looking in the sky today.

I'll be keeping an eye on this build for any tips such APU exhaust and the seam line on the canopy. Were the intakes ok? I've also heard they're a bit of a tricky fit, there is a resin drop in section from heritage aviation models, which is an option, but if you think the fit (with a bit of work) is ok I won't bother.

Typhoon resin seamless intakes

The progress looks great and well done on the canopy that looks excellent!

All the best

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

What's the verdict on the air intakes?

Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Another build already ! Don't you have any grass to cut, cars to wash etc................But it does look good - nice one.

Regards

Colin M

F

Fenlander

Sadly, I ran out of steam on this one in February and it got boxed up. Really must get it back out and finished.

The APU exhaust was done buy cutting out the indentation on the kit, shaping a bit of sprue to fit, drill it out and blended it in with liquid polly. You can get a resin insert but to be honest, it is not difficult to sort out. Someone mentioned using a section of drinking straw to line the drilled out bit, wish I had thought of it.

The intakes are not great. The joins are bad on both sides of the intake, the ones closest to the fuselage are the most visible and can be sorted with lots of patience and filler. The outer joints, near the wings, are a different matter, there isn't a slight gap, there is a big one. I personally think that building up with plastic is the best way. You can see the problem in the third from last pic above. I hold my hands up and admit I have done nothing to fill the outer ones, I assessed that the visibility of these at normal viewing would be slight but if your model is going to be examined and you want it right, then fill them, they are not totally hidden.

As for the drop in resin intakes, I have no experience of them but even if they take a bit of work to fit them, it will be a lot less than the filling and sanding to correct the kit parts.

The seam line on the canopy is not a problem so long as you have a good polishing stick. I had never had to sand a clear part before and I was very uneasy to say the least. Apart from it cracking as I pressed in the protective blue tack, it was a lot easier than I thought and I would not hesitate to dive in and do it again.

Thanks for reminding me of this one again, I am in modelling overload at the moment so it will not surface just yet but it is a finishing job that needs to be done, the build and painting are done.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Graham for getting back, hadn't realised you started this in Feb!

I've heard lots of comments about the the poor fit of the air intakes similar to your description. I think I will wait until I have the kit and try dry-fitting the parts to see just how much work is necessary, I can then decide whether the resin is worth buying.

Graham, it's no bad thing putting a model on the back-burner (or should that be after burner) for a bit. I'm kind of leaving the GB build to come together at it's own pace, all those figure alts are now beginning to wear me down. I thought I'd have a go at a swifter and cleaner build but it seems I may have plumped for the wrong aircraft model! LOL. I'm assured by the online modelling community that this is the kit to get, but this verdict seems to be based on the amount of munitions you get with this kit as opposed to the Italeri offering.

If I can I'll try and post the build on the forum (not in competition) but we may be able to exchange advice/experience on the Revell kit when you get back round to it and if I've started it. If I take the resin option then there's a different approach to the build (this may not prove to be the simple solution anyway).

Like you, I've never really built a modern jet and thought I'd give it a bash - from all things WW2 to bang up to date! I'd actually missed your post and chose this model purely coincidentally. Like I said I just wanted something as modern as poss. I looked at the Hasegawa Raptor, and a Stealth bomber too and, although I do like the F22, the Hasegawa kit is around £50! Besides which the Typhoon is a little more 'home grown'.

I know you've got a few things on the go but I'm sure when you get back to it this completed fighter will look the biz.

All the best

Paul

F

Fenlander

Cheers Paul, don't get me wrong, it is a nice kit. One of the things is that I bought it much the same as you, I wanted to do a modern jet. However, they don't really interest me. I have my Jaguar that I am doing for my better half after she spotted the "Katrina Jane" (her name) nose art in a museum and that has stalled at exactly the same point I have just realised. The paint is on and it just wants decaling up and the weapons load adding but I have not touched it for a few weeks. Odd, there must be some psychological block going on here.

I am also letting the GB take its own course, I have all 16 figures to do yet and I have not started the diorama base but the three vehicles are nearly ready and it will be finished on time. One thing that runs through this forum is, I believe Ron's, philosophy that modelling should be, nay must be, fun. After all, it is only plastic, nothing to get stressed out about ;)