Revell 1/700 Bismarck.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I bought this kit for £8.50 incl. p/p thinking it would be a bit naff and with the intention of trying to model it as a shattered, sinking hulk after she was caught in the Atlantic by the British in May 1941 for my 'Sink the Bismarck' build but.....

The kit is way too good to destroy. The detail and quality of this Revell 1/700 Bismarck is outstanding. Far better than other makes of 1/700 ships, and size for size, is better detailed than some 1/350 versions. I have the Tamiya 1/350 Bismarck, so I can compare.

I am so impressed with the kit, I've bought another (unopened), which annoyed me a bit as I had to fork out nearly a tenner for that one! It will be used as the sinking version. but I will still have one in one piece to look at......

What follows is the intact version. She will eventually go on some grey Atlantic watter.;)

I won't bore you with a detailed bit by bit construction, just the salient stages to try and show what a terrific kit this is.

P1320718.JPG

You might notice the kit is 'Started' (The halves of the hull were joined) hence the cheap price.
P1320719.JPG

So off we go...

Brushed on first coat of Vallejo Air 'Concrete'
P1320724.JPG

All the moulded in deck stuff. Just look at those breakwater thingies etc....So crisp!
P1320725.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Great to be pleasantly surprised with a kit. I have, however, lost all belief in your skinflint credentials after reading that you spent "nearly a tenner". Good God Ron pull yourself together and don't let it happen again :tongue-out:
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Revell 1/350 Bismark us said to be the best out there. So if this based off that it should be a good un.
I was looking for the 1/350 one but they're very thin on the ground.
Sorry for the diversion.
I will look forward to seeing this come together.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Count me in Ron, bought this like you nice and cheap, in the stash.

Julie bought me the Revell 1 350 Tirpitz, first look, very good detail.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
There must have been an overstocking/overproduction of these at one time - I've got one in the stash that was ridiculously cheap as well. The model is very well detailed, and it impressed me so much, that I went and bought a wooden deck for it ( from China ). The only downside ( for me, at least ) is the one-piece hull - a bit of laborious surgery needed to convert it to waterline.............
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 .
" Too good to destroy," that's a high accolade to give a kit .

I shall sit on my own and not cough.
453 .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

Sorry Tim, I haven't a clue how old the kit is.
Dave, strange, this kit has separate hull halves. Not one piece.....

Update.
Wood decks painted on the sprue.
P1320734.JPG

P1320735.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks boys.

Sorry Tim, I haven't a clue how old the kit is.
Dave, strange, this kit has separate hull halves. Not one piece.....

Update.
Wood decks painted on the sprue.
View attachment 450558

View attachment 450559

Cheers.
Ron
Ron,
sorry, I should have said "full hull" - not one piece hull. I always modify my ship models to waterline - which of course means sawing/cutting the hull below the water line off! Some makers, like ICM supply the hull already waterlined, and provide the underwater bits as a separate part - saves time & cutting the plastic is always a bit messy!
Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So are you going to show this with your KGV or are you going to find another to show all blowed up?

PS Last I saw, you were about to start the rigging on your KGV. Any progress?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Dave and Dave.

Dave I. I don't much care for full hull models either. Slightly different to your method, I usually build the hull and deck and then cut the lower hull off using a small Dremel type thingy with a cutting disk attached. I find it more ridged than trying to cut the two halves of the hull first.

Dave II. No this will be a stand alone, sort of on her way down the Denmark Straits. I bought another to wreck.
Despite the nice weather, I've managed to drag myself indoors in the early evenings and complete the KGV rigging.

Cheers chaps.
Ron

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Dave and Dave.

Dave I. I don't much care for full hull models either. Slightly different to your method, I usually build the hull and deck and then cut the lower hull off using a small Dremel type thingy with a cutting disk attached. I find it more ridged than trying to cut the two halves of the hull first.

Dave II. No this will be a stand alone, sort of on her way down the Denmark Straits. I bought another to wreck.
Despite the nice weather, I've managed to drag myself indoors in the early evenings and complete the KGV rigging.

Cheers chaps.
Ron
Ron,
I make the hull & deck with small models, like destroyers, before chopping, but with larger models, I do the separate halves. I do have a dremel, but I generally use a hand razor saw - using masking tape to show the limits. My dremel isn't used much - in the time I get it out of the box & cutting, I can have done one half hull, and with less mess. I don't have the bench space to leave it permanently set up!
Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ron,
I make the hull & deck with small models, like destroyers, before chopping, but with larger models, I do the separate halves. I do have a dremel, but I generally use a hand razor saw - using masking tape to show the limits. My dremel isn't used much - in the time I get it out of the box & cutting, I can have done one half hull, and with less mess. I don't have the bench space to leave it permanently set up!
Dave
Dave , I agree with you about setting up Dremels - I also wish there was a much smaller chuck so that I could use pin drills withe the bench press. Standard chuck is way to large!
Steve

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave , I agree with you about setting up Dremels - I also wish there was a much smaller chuck so that I could use pin drills withe the bench press. Standard chuck is way to large!
Steve
Steve,
a pin chuck - fits in the dremel jaws & steps down to tiny drills
pin chuck.jpg
You can find them as jewellers tools
( oops sorry about the sidetrack! )
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The eclipse pin chuck has different collets for different drill sizes….had one for around thirty years and have never regretted spending on it….

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just a quick aside....

Here's the thing I use. £15 delivered from ebay. Quick and easy to use. Loads of bits 'n bobs with it and 6 different sized colletts for all the attachments.
Hand held, it takes but a few minutes to 'grind' around a hull.

Dave, cutting about 3mm below the water line, I do my cutting rough and freehand, simply because any wobbling is hidden by the 'oggin!

P1320832.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just a quick aside....

Here's the thing I use. £15 delivered from ebay. Quick and easy to use. Loads of bits 'n bobs with it and 6 different sized colletts for all the attachments.
Hand held, it takes but a few minutes to 'grind' around a hull.

Dave, cutting about 3mm below the water line, I do my cutting rough and freehand, simply because any wobbling is hidden by the 'oggin!

View attachment 450672

Cheers.
Ron
Ron,
I cut my proper modelling teeth on vacforms - so I have a full sheet of wet & dry fastened to a flat piece of wood ( old drawer front! ), with which I smooth the edges of the assembled hull - I use it wet, to keep the dust down. You just have to make sure you don't sand a permanent list into the hull. After I've finished, I rinse the w&d - I have to do that in the bath - It's too big for the kitchen sink!
Dave