Revell 1/72 red arrows kit

First Name
Daniel
Hi,

I am old/new modeller and I got myself from Revell 1/72 Red Arrows kit, level 3.

Before I start any work I am studying the instructions and checking if I miss anything. So by checking the instructions I found some illogical steps in terms of painting.
So the model parts are already in red colour and when I go through instructions I am not instructed to paint entire plane again in red. However, they do tell to pain some small bits in red (which are already in red) which makes no sense. The kit is red and why I am being told to paint some small parts in red if surrounding parts are already red? or maybe it is understood and expected that I paint everything?
See below step pictures from instructions:
This Picture below tell me to paint this small part in red, the plane around is already red as well as this part. Also why the line for Paint A is doted? Which side I am painting? Inside or outside?
red1.jpg
Picture below, same thing I paint this small part which already red and plane is red.
red2.jpg
I am just trying to understand here what are the instructions telling me and what I am doing.

Also another question is about colours. The kit came in with 3 colours and I need to buy the rest that are required. They gave me 3 aqua colours. Shall I stick with those or get equal enamel?
Also I struggle to find these colours from Revell or to convert them to other equivalent, I would appreciate if you could help me how to find them or find same but from other manufacturer. I managed to find them on eBay but it would cost close to 20 pounds to get them here for two colours.
Anthracite matt #09
Iron metallic #91

Thnx for the help.

D

Deleted member 7181

The kit is red and why I am being told to paint some small parts in red if surrounding parts are already red? or maybe it is understood and expected that I paint everything?

Hi Daniel, and welcome.

I'm quite new to modelling myself but yes, it's generally assumed that you'll be painting the whole thing, the colours for which are probably at the end of the instruction book, usually with the decal positions. Sometimes it's necessary to paint parts before assembly as they are hard to reach afterwards (like the inside of the air intakes in your second picture). Some people even paint everything beforehand, and some items can be marked up even though you could paint them at the end with everything else. The general rule of thumb though is that anything not marked on the instructions with a colour is painted in the main fuselage colour(s), or body/hull colour for a vehicle.

The dotted line in your first picture is indicating that you paint the unseen side, i.e. the surface that you can't see in that image.

I'm sure some more experienced guys will be along soon but I hope that helps for now.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The kit is red and why I am being told to paint some small parts in red if surrounding parts are already red? or maybe it is understood and expected that I paint everything?
Like Andy says, the instructions normally have a section at the end to show the overall paint scheme as well as where the decals go, and anything not specifically called out in the build instructions is to be painted according to those.

See below step pictures from instructions:
This Picture below tell me to paint this small part in red, the plane around is already red as well as this part. Also why the line for Paint A is doted? Which side I am painting? Inside or outside?
The dotted line indicates it points to the side you can’t see — just like for the exhaust pipe, part B14, where you need to paint the outside with colour H but the inside with I, because the latter has a dotted line too.

I’m not quite sure why it would tell you to paint the underside of B13 in colour A, though, if that’s the overall colour for the outside of the plane anyway.

Picture below, same thing I paint this small part which already red and plane is red.
The paint is likely to have a slightly different colour to the plastic, so if you only paint certain parts and not others, this will usually be noticeable. Try it: paint a bit of the red sprue (the framework that the parts are held in) with the red paint. Chances are that after the paint dries, you can clearly see the paint against the bare plastic.

Also another question is about colours. The kit came in with 3 colours and I need to buy the rest that are required. They gave me 3 aqua colours. Shall I stick with those or get equal enamel?
I would advise you to stick with the acrylics (Revell Aqua Colour is a type of acrylic paint). Acrylics are generally easier to use and easier to clean up.

Also I struggle to find these colours from Revell or to convert them to other equivalent, I would appreciate if you could help me how to find them or find same but from other manufacturer. I managed to find them on eBay but it would cost close to 20 pounds to get them here for two colours.
A lot of model shops sell Revell paints, and will happily mail them to you if you order through their web site. For example, the shop that started up this forum also has them:
£2.25 per 18 ml pot, plus £2.99 postage within the UK (as long as you’re ordering less than 2 kg of paint anyway :smiling3:).

You can also use other brands of paint, of course, but if this is your first kit in a long time, you’re probably better off sticking to the manufacturer’s recommendations for this one.

First Name
Daniel
Like Andy says, the instructions normally have a section at the end to show the overall paint scheme as well as where the decals go, and anything not specifically called out in the build instructions is to be painted according to those.

The dotted line indicates it points to the side you can’t see — just like for the exhaust pipe, part B14, where you need to paint the outside with colour H but the inside with I, because the latter has a dotted line too.

I’m not quite sure why it would tell you to paint the underside of B13 in colour A, though, if that’s the overall colour for the outside of the plane anyway.

The paint is likely to have a slightly different colour to the plastic, so if you only paint certain parts and not others, this will usually be noticeable. Try it: paint a bit of the red sprue (the framework that the parts are held in) with the red paint. Chances are that after the paint dries, you can clearly see the paint against the bare plastic.

I would advise you to stick with the acrylics (Revell Aqua Colour is a type of acrylic paint). Acrylics are generally easier to use and easier to clean up.

A lot of model shops sell Revell paints, and will happily mail them to you if you order through their web site. For example, the shop that started up this forum also has them:
£2.25 per 18 ml pot, plus £2.99 postage within the UK (as long as you’re ordering less than 2 kg of paint anyway :smiling3:).

You can also use other brands of paint, of course, but if this is your first kit in a long time, you’re probably better off sticking to the manufacturer’s recommendations for this one.

Hi,

This helped and explained things! I expected that would be the case but I was confused then why they would call out some parts that are part of the plane skin to paint in red and not all. But yeah I just wanted to understand what I am doing and what is the correct way.

For the paint thing, thank you for the link. They had all the colours required except, Iron metallic #91.

Do you know any good substitute or shop that has it? Really trying to evade eBay £20 for that one alone (shipping all the way from Germany).

Anyway, thank you. Much appreciated input :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Search for something like “Revell Aqua Colour Iron Metallic UK” and you’ll get plenty of hits :smiling3: Or, if you have black and silver paint, you can mix your own: use your brush to put some black onto a palette (anything non-absorbent and smooth will do, like the inside of a jam jar lid or the glazed size of bathroom tile), clean the brush, dry it off, and then use it to take a little silver and mix it into the black. Repeat as necessary if it’s too dark, too light, or runs out.

First Name
Daniel
Search for something like “Revell Aqua Colour Iron Metallic UK” and you’ll get plenty of hits :smiling3: Or, if you have black and silver paint, you can mix your own: use your brush to put some black onto a palette (anything non-absorbent and smooth will do, like the inside of a jam jar lid or the glazed size of bathroom tile), clean the brush, dry it off, and then use it to take a little silver and mix it into the black. Repeat as necessary if it’s too dark, too light, or runs out.
Got it! Ordered my #91 at last.....thnx for the help