Revell 1/72 U-505

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking quite good — and a brave choice too, going for something as complex as this for a first model.

N

nyc7181

My U-505 is almost completed and now working on base coats. Lower hull and conning tower in German gray. Upper hull is Sky gray.
should i do my decking in German gray? Id like some wood color to show through buy not sure what color for the wood

N

nyc7181

She's almost ready for her first patrol. has her base coats of paints on the hulls.
need to finish the decking, paint the props and then I'm on to weathering.
Can anyone give me some paint ideas for a scum line along the hull?

First Name
Wouter
Wow, that's a big piece of kit! Nice to see you made a start. Most U-boote had wooden decks, but these were impregnated by a dark grey/black color to protect them from the weather and salty sea water. Don't forget to post photos of your paintwork ^^

N

nyc7181

Looking good Erik.
Regarding the scum line, I very much doubt there would be one. The wave and diving actions would probably not allow one to 'Grow'. I just dirtied the hull.

Your boat, being a different type might have had a steel deck. Take a look at Google Images of your particular boat for ideas and confirmation. Although looking at your pictures, it looks like a mixture of both wood and steel decks.

Keep in mind it's your boat and we all have different interpretations of what we want on the finished model.

I look forward to seeing the finished model.

Ron
My boat is an IXC so it had a mixture of wood and steel.
This is my first build but I want it to be as accurate as possible. The U-505 was fairly beat up when it was captured so I want it to be weathered. Can you recommend the paints for the wood.
Iv worked in ship yards and you’d be surprised on the amount of rust ships and tugs have. But it was mostly streaks on the sides and decks. So for a ship that spent time out at sea there would be a fair amount.
Also rust really happens to the areas above water not so much under water as it’s the water and air that creates it

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice work Erik.
When you say recommend paints for the wood do you mean makes ? Or the colour, I'd go for a dark wash.
John .

N

nyc7181

I’m kinda thinking of doing the deck in German gray with a black wash

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I’m kinda thinking of doing the deck in German gray with a black wash
Yes that's along the lines I was thinking , that will give a really worn look .
John .

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Not really a ship guy but for some reason I like subs....sure is a big-un.
Very first model aye?...an ambitious project indeed, but you seem right at home with it and it's looking like an experienced modeler
is doing it, good for you!:thumb2:

From N.Y.C. I see, what part? I was born and raised in Bklyn till about 25 years ago. I now live way up in the Adirondack Mts.
Am watching this one :thinking:

Jim.

N

nyc7181

I’m from Staten Island, spent some time up in the Catskills.
What are you guys thought on a brown filter for the deck after the German gray?

N

nyc7181

So I painted my conning tower to night and it did not go great. I pre shaded and then sprayed gray. The paint was coming out way to thick.
one side looks ok, the other side not so much. Also I dropped my airbrush well cleaning it and the nozzle bent so Im dead in the water till a new one comes. Here are some pics.
2cf7es8.jpg

21b1vli.jpg

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi, it still looks nice but I can see what you mean, preshading requires very thin layers of paint if you don't want to hide the effect...

But you can go in again with a subtle darker version of the base color, but take your time if you do it like that.

Cheers, nice project :thumb2:

N

nyc7181

I have a question. my compressor does not adjust. Im using an IWATA revolution airbrush. How can i make thinner lines?
I may just go back in and preside it again and then re do my base. the problem is im still learning how to use my air brush

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thinner lines means you have to be very close against the model, very slowly move the trigger backwards so a subtle stream of paint comes out.

I strongly advice to practice this on a paper and not on your model :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That don't look to bad at all. Practice makes perfect, so just keep at it.
The airbrush you dropped, I take it that the needle tip got a whack. They can be sorted if not to bad.
Re the compressor. As there are as many different compressors as there are cars, maybe a photo will help us help you.
Cheers.

N

nyc7181

That don't look to bad at all. Practice makes perfect, so just keep at it.
The airbrush you dropped, I take it that the needle tip got a whack. They can be sorted if not to bad.
Re the compressor. As there are as many different compressors as there are cars, maybe a photo will help us help you.
Cheers.
It wasn't the needle that got damaged. It was the small nozzle it slides into by the front. its #3 in the diagram.
ncl4r7.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nyc7181

Todays progress. I know its not perfect, but I spent a good part of my day on it. the preside lines look darker then they are from the lighting. Opinion's?
11hx9mq.jpg

zkn439.jpg

jal4s4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It wasn't the needle that got damaged. It was the small nozzle it slides into by the front. its #3 in the diagram.
Yep thats a nasty bit to damage. I have broken a few of those in the past! Right little beggars to get out once broken off!
The shade work looks pretty good by the way.