Revell 1/72 VIIC/41 'Atlantic Version' German U. Boat

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Well Ron, I have been following this from the beginning, but it seems I have forgotten to comment on this beauty. For that, I must apologise to you and now,

"COMMENT!!!"

There, I feel so much better now...……….

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Ron cracking job I'm pleased you're doing the whole thing now. Keep up the marvellous work.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron,
Great work, glad you decided to keep the hull complete and I'm with you on whether it's right or wrong I have never ever worried about the facts I build what looks good to me.

Thanks Paul. Writing that I'm easy going with my builds keeps the rivet counters and nit pickers from making any adverse comments 'cos they know it's a waste of time and they go after someone else. Not that we have any of those types on S.M.......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
On we go.
Thanks to all for the great and humorous comments. All good stuff and they make this build all the more pleasurable to put together.

I've glued and painted the underwater bits. Not many and very straight forward.

The forward dive planes and bronze anchor fitted.
P1210270.JPG

P1210267.JPG

Stern dive planes, rudders, prop. shafts, protective skid and screws.
P1210269.JPG

P1210268.JPG
Apart from the rigging, that's the boat built.

Time to get the yard brush out and start the weathering! Then I'll tackle the rigging....:cold-sweat:

Cheers.
Ron

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
WOWSERS!! Impressive work, thus far!:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Writing that I'm easy going with my builds keeps the rivet counters and nit pickers from making any adverse comments 'cos they know it's a waste of time and they go after someone else. Not that we have any of those types on S.M
Well said Ron. I have no objection to people 'rivet counting' on their own work. Seeing someone strive for ultimate accuracy can be interesting. The ones who get on my ***s are those who go out of their way to find fault 'cause it makes them feel superior.
The sub is looking great.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers chaps.

I mentioned on page two how with the big flat headed brush, I first coated the whole hull with a wash of brown/grey acrylics and let the paint run where it chose to go thus leaving streaks.

Here is the result of a second similar coat. Because I couldn't faff about with such a large area (near enough 36") I had to be quick. A couple of minutes for both sides is all the time I had or the effect would have been lost due to the paint drying too quickly. See how it's produced a fair amount of dark stains by just letting the paint run where it likes over the first coat? Here and there the paint has gathered around the open 'vents' and then run even darker streaks down the hull. All from just two coats and no fiddling about........I've never done such a large area of plastic before and I must confess to being well chuffed at the result......:thumb2:

Here's the before and afters.
P1210267.JPG

P1210273.JPG

P1210268.JPG

I also gave the stern gear a coat of the same colour. The paint has nicely gathered around the rivets too.
P1210278.JPG

Keep it simple and work fast!

I don't like to see operational U.Boat models caked in rust as some seem to be. Of course it's the individual's model not mine, but I firmly believe there would be very little if any, actual rust on these boats. My reasoning is that.
A. The boats weren't around long enough for rust to form and......
B. I think they would be well looked after and kept in good condition by the proud crew and re-painted where required whilst back in their pens.
C. A lot of time spent underwater.
D. Being leathered by the Atlantic swells.

So all I'm doing on mine ( right or wrong) is some oily, grimey brown water stains. So what I have done up to now might well suffice.

Thanks for looking.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I know the type Ron. Had a guy on Brit Modeller comment on my Tornado that the fin shape on the missiles were wrong. :surprised:
OMG! How can you live with the shame?
That's Britmodeller for you though.

Pete

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul. Writing that I'm easy going with my builds keeps the rivet counters and nit pickers from making any adverse comments 'cos they know it's a waste of time and they go after someone else. Not that we have any of those types on S.M.......

The only one you have to watch out for is that Race guy - No 453, and his parrot - just don't give him a light !!!!:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

Seriously tho Ron, so far the painting is looking good.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Paul
:smiling2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Excuse my ignorance Ron but if you have holes in a sub does it not sink? Are the holes part of a hollow part of the sub with the solid part of the sub underneath?

P.S Weathering is spot on:thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank boys. I'm glad you like the model thus far......

Excuse my ignorance Ron but if you have holes in a sub does it not sink? Are the holes part of a hollow part of the sub with the solid part of the sub underneath?

P.S Weathering is spot on:thumb2:

Hi Steve - Ignorance? Nah! Just an honest question and yes you are correct.
A U.Boat is basically a tube within a tube. The outer one has all the drain holes and water is allowed to come and go as it chooses. Even the conning tower has drain holes! The inner is the strong watertight pressure hull where the crew go about their business.

As the sub submerges water enters the holes in the outer hull and produces neutral buoyancy. When water is pumped out of the ballast tanks the sub rises and the water in the outer skin is free to escape through the said slots. That is why all model subs should have these holes drilled out.......

I'm lucky enough to have a real IXC/41 U. Boat close to where I live, so I have a great reference should I need it. It is a slightly different, later type from the one I'm modelling but the construction and general appearance is fairly similar.

Thank for the question.
Ron

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just caught up a bit Ron and it looks great.:smiling:
Nice painting and weathering of the hull but the conning towers camo is really great:thumb2::thumb2:, looks like some modern digital camo found on Ukrainian jets.:tongue-out3: