Revell 1/72nd Type VII U-Boat.

M

Mankster

That real nice paint job you've done. Looks amazing, any on water shots? I know now why I stick with postwar subs, I can paint!

Yes the Engel Type VII is a great kit. The only downer is drilling out all those drain holes in the deck! Its a pitty that the OTW PE deck is a different scale. I have the Manual for the sub on .pdf if you want it, good reading whilst your saving up!

B

Bunkerbarge

Thanks for the comments.

No on water shots yet as it was a bit fresh at the pond on Sunday. Great for the sailing lads but I wasn't willing to commit my nice new model U-Boat to an environment that I wasn't sure about.

I'll send you a PM with my E-mail address for the Engles instructions, thanks for the offer. It should be interesting but, as you say, the slot cutting is a bit of a challenge. The deck won't be so bad as I can set it up on the milling machine but the hull won't be quite so straightforward.

N

Nigel.D

Richard what can i say if mine is half as good as that (when i get round to it) il be more than happy

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Nigel, missed your banter recently. I take it work is proving demanding at the moment.

Thanks for the comments, from what I have seen in your gallery that is indeed praise.

By the way, you need that wooden deck set, it is a world apart from the original.

N

Nigel.D

No mate windows vista has been playing havoc with the pc's so its now gone to bills bin

N

Nigel.D

Richard i have now also purchased the atlantic version plus got all the bits from white ensign im now debating about a cutaway using the interior resin kits !!!! I just might and this is a big might do them both tied up against a flower class corvette (an end to the war thing) I need some sort of theme to it before i convince myself

M

Mankster

I have a Revel Uboat from last Xmas with a Dave Welsh WTC on the shelf that I have yet to put together; One good thing about converting it to static dive is I won't have to worry about wind!:fish2:

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard i have now also purchased the atlantic version plus got all the bits from white ensign im now debating about a cutaway using the interior resin kits !!!! I just might and this is a big might do them both tied up against a flower class corvette (an end to the war thing) I need some sort of theme to it before i convince myself
The idea of the two subs tied up together in a harbour setting should be interesting. The PE torpedo loading set could then be used as well which would make for a very interesting diarama.

What about inside a U-Boat pen, with one of them leaving and the other storing?...or one in a dry pen and one in an adjacent wet one?

Loads of ideas but I'm not sure including a corvette would be as convincing. All big projects though. The one I did took a fair number of hours even allowing for the RC conversion.

N

Nigel.D

Uboat pen uboat pen uboat pen !!!!!!!!!!!!! awwwww gawd now youve gone and done it :smiling:

B

Bunkerbarge

You can actually get kits of U-Boat pens in a small scale that you could use to scale up to 1/72nd.

I've seen plenty of U-Boats in a dry dock setting but never in a pen. Possibly leave the top off so you could see everything?

N

Nigel.D

Richard you have a lot to answer for !!!! Anyway after i explained to Ingrid how big it will be !!!!!!!!!!! I said it was your fault for suggesting it lol ( I had the " And where the hell is that supposed to live" routine )

R

rjwood_uk

pmsl!!! i have seem some u-boat pens, in fact i once saw a whole dock with the u-boat pens in it as well. it was on the net somewhere so just google it!!!

Nigel...i still dont know where my Musashi is going to go!!!

Richard...thanks for that flag website. They do the JIN flag so will be getting some of them!

B

Bunkerbarge

Nigel,

Thanks for blaming me, share and share alike I say!!! Just mention that you are going to move the washing machine and wait for the dust to settle!!

Richard, Glad you found a flag. When you get it follow the instructions as regards glue along the edge ( I used cyano) and fitting it to a thread then roll it between your fingers along a diagonal line from the top corner. I rolled mine and screwed it up a few times before I was happy with the way it 'hung'. Eventually I really liked the effect.

N

Nigel.D

Move the washing machine !!!!! i may as well say im gonna get rid of the dishwasher (god mate you like to live dangerously)

B

Bunkerbarge

Well the Grey Wolf has been out on her first patrol and I have to admit she behaved very well.

The speed was above scale without getting silly, the turning circle was far better than I expected and she floated bang on at the correct draught.

She also proved to be quite stable and battery life was still doing well at 45 minutes when rain stopped play.

View attachment 14437

View attachment 14438

View attachment 14439

View attachment 14440

View attachment 14441

View attachment 14443

View attachment 14444

View attachment 14445

View attachment 14446

View attachment 14447

View attachment 14448

View attachment 14449

P6281762.jpg

P6281766.jpg

P6281770.jpg

P6281774.jpg

P6281776.jpg

P6281779.jpg

P6281784.jpg

P6281786.jpg

P6281788.jpg

P6281789.jpg

P6281790.jpg

P6281791.jpg

R

rjwood_uk

what an absolute beauty Richard!!!

she looks sooo impressive!!!

you got the ballast perfect (but i guess you practiced that in ur bath??)

B

Bunkerbarge

You mean the test tank?

Yup, if it isn't going to float at the right draught and trim and it is going to leak somewhere I would rather find out about it in the secure environment of the test tank!!!

R

rjwood_uk

lol is that test tank...aka BATH or do you have a large tank you use especially for it so you can see it at eye level....etc

B

Bunkerbarge

The Test Tank is in the bathroom and I sometimes have to get Annette out of it first as she seems to think it is for washing purposes!!