Revell 1/87 Camouflaged German Light Goods Locomotive BR 50.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work by the way, light years ahead of the Airfix loco kits....I’ll get the pug in the post once I’m Covid free.....l

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the support boys.... :thumb2:

A special thanks to Tim for answering my call for help. In just one post from him I now know more about locos than I ever did in the last.......... years! Fill in the gap as you wish!

Cheers Tim, you're a star. Feel free to chip in about the workings of the loco any time you wish.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the support boys.... :thumb2:

A special thanks to Tim for answering my call for help. In just one post from him I now know more about locos than I ever did in the last.......... years! Fill in the gap as you wish!

Cheers Tim, you're a star. Feel free to chip in about the workings of the loco any time you wish.

Ron

Coal goes in there, steam comes out there an' makes the wheels go round! Anythin' else you need to know young Ron?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall follow this high technical information sharing build from the signal box 570 .

Can you remember in the other house there was German guy called Alex Stefan. He became an expert in the BR series of engines.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What a cracking kit this. A real treat to build!
No fit issues and I'm flying along. - Kiss of death for sure.

Here's the main body of the loco with various bits attached. Brush primed and after a bit of a seam clean (Which I've missed), ready to be glued to the chassis.

P1250661.JPG

P1250662.JPG

P1250663.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I have to diverse with my model making. To construct the same theme/type would drive me insanitary!... :upside:

I realise there will be little interest in the build, but here's something a bit away from the norm. I'm going to try and paint the model in the German WW2 early 'Digital' camouflage.

View attachment 379004

Cheers.

Ron
Go for it Ron, got the big one sitting in the shed ready for building, sure it keeps wheezing whenever I go in there.
Will take great interest in your buils.
Mike.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Doesn't that make it even harder? Painting lozenges over the pipes?
Pete

Don't know really, I've never attempted either. It'll probably go tits up, but I have to at least try. If I do make a balls of it I'll re-paint it in a light colour and have another bash.

Mike, is this the Revell 'Big One' you have? (I'll delete it as soon as I find out) If it is, it makes up into a great kit. Bl***y long too! I made mine all 'orrible and dirty.

BIG BOY LOCO 037.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 049.jpg

Cheers.
Ron

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love the build , just gets better, waiting for the photos,
That large one you built is massive and looks the dogs.
Good Afternoon

From Stalag Race Towers .

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Is this kit really as good as you say Ron? I can see you're doing a grand job, but PJ would like to build a train and he will need a good kit - especially in such a small scale - or he won't be able to cope with all the fiddly bits.

I got to ask 'cos PJ's last Cosford build was the Kiteck Mig 25 - which Tony reckoned only needed some filling and sanding here and there. I think we used a tube and a half of putty and got through half a dozen sanding sticks!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I believe ROCO has a whole line of period rolling stock to go w/your loco. Stand by for pain as they're not cheap, but used to be more reasonable than others. PaulE

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps. Much appreciated.

453. The two for one locomotive is just over 18" long. I flogged it on eBay to a bloke who had built a pristine one and wanted a filthy one to go with it!

Dave. Less the tender, the loco this thread is about is 6 1/2" long. Small maybe, but a fair amount of detail is moulded on. PJ should have no problems with it. All a good fit and very little cleaning up to do. He just needs to get the wheels set up right. They have no location pins, just simply push on to the axles so have to be swivelled to the correct position. The instruction are fine and easy to understand.

Based on the one I'm making, I would think any similar Revell loco would fit the bill for him.

I well remember that awful Mig25 - What a dog that was!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks chaps. Much appreciated.

453. The two for one locomotive is just over 18" long. I flogged it on eBay to a bloke who had built a pristine one and wanted a filthy one to go with it!

Dave. Less the tender, the loco this thread is about is 6 1/2" long. Small maybe, but a fair amount of detail is moulded on. PJ should have no problems with it. All a good fit and very little cleaning up to do. He just needs to get the wheels set up right. They have no location pins, just simply push on to the axles so have to be swivelled to the correct position. The instruction are fine and easy to understand.

Based on the one I'm making, I would think any similar Revell loco would fit the bill for him.

I well remember that awful Mig25 - What a dog that was!

Thanks Ron. PJ's obviously not coming round at the moment. I'll keep my eyes open on ebay and see what's about.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I believe ROCO has a whole line of period rolling stock to go w/your loco. Stand by for pain as they're not cheap, but used to be more reasonable than others. PaulE

Thanks for the heads up Paul. I appreciate your help.

I already have something that will fit the bill, but thanks for your suggestion, none the less...... :thumb2:

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Ron. PJ's obviously not coming round at the moment. I'll keep my eyes open on ebay and see what's about.

Just had a quick look. It deffo pays to look carefully! There's a BR01 for about £17 and the same kit in a newer box for about £65. Newer box means poorer kit as the moulds have been used more? :upside:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave. When on eBay, take a look in collectables. For some reason a lot of locos etc. seem to be listed in that category.

Onwards we go....

Boiler/firebox fitted to the footplate/chassis. Then brush primed.
P1250679.JPG

The cab....

It even has a copper kettle!
P1250673.JPG

Ready to be glued to the loco body.
P1250674.JPG

P1250675.JPG

This is great fun.

Cheers.
Ron

Attachments

• P1250679.JPG
    P1250679.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 0

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cab fitted, smoke deflectors fitted and the loco finished in brush painted primer.
P1250682.JPG

My one concession to extras was an extension to the cab footplate which was way too short. Made from thin plastic card.
P1250684.JPG

The tender. brush painted with Vallejo model Air acrylics.
Yes, I know it's a post WW2 tender (Just!), but to save someone having to go to the trouble of pointing it out, I'll get in first.
P1250676.JPG

P1250668.JPG

P1250678.JPG

The finished job. As the original primer was too dark, I've had to re-prime it by brushing on a lighter grey, ready for the relatively light colours in the camouflage.
P1250685.JPG

Cheers.
Ron