Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good evening gentlemen.

As The Enemy is submerged in Love Island for the next two months, I have time on my hands. I intend to fill this void with the Cutty Sark whopper I mentioned in another thread.

Going to need help on this one, want to make a good job of it.

I'll be slapping some grey primer on tomorrow, then I'll do some project management. One thing's for sure, I'm not following the instruction order.

First thing I will need help with is the deck. I'm not going to just paint it flat, so need to know how to get it looking planked. I have the wood weathering set from AKI so I'm sure I have the kit I need. Just not the knowledge...

81SAT7ZckdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
When I did my decks I used tamiyas xf78 wooden deck tan as a base and then I just experimented until I got it to my liking I can't remember I what order or how as it was a long time ago since I built mine.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
When I did my decks I used tamiyas xf78 wooden deck tan as a base and then I just experimented until I got it to my liking I can't remember I what order or how as it was a long time ago since I built mine.

I've decided (I think) to go with the "authentic" grey/blue deck. Nothing to do with authenticity really, I just like the colour!

The moulded markings are very very slight, so I'm not sure whether to go with a dark wash or dry brush - not sure if either will pick them out. The original (1960s) instructions suggest painting in black then in grey, then sanding till the black starts to show through. These are all techniques new to me, and there's little space to experiment on there. If neither work, I will leave it flat and develop skills on my next model. I don't want this to be an "experiment", so if I miss out on some prettiness so be it. I'm keen to get on with it!

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
As far as I can see that looks like a very nice/sharp finish Bobby :thumb2: Looks good!
Steven

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
As far as I can see that looks like a very nice/sharp finish Bobby :thumb2: Looks good!
Steven

Thank you sir. Bloody should be after the hours I've put in! Will varnish it and leave it for a few days while I work on the deck furniture.

Had an absolute nightmare with it. Ordered another tin of the Humbrol copper I was using for final touch up. Something must have gone seriously wrong with storage as it effectively came out as a black powder, but it wasn't immediately obvious. Really not sure what happened, I stirred it until my elbow ached. As I wanted to ensure an even finish I carried on, then buffed it off when dry, before using three coats of Revell 93 which you can see above. No lasting damage, and the shop said they'd had other complaints(!), so got a refund. As it goes, I prefer the finish I have now but it put me back a week.

For the deck, I tried some dry brushing and washing, but the etching is so slight I couldn't actually find anything I liked more than the flat colour, which is rather nice I think. There is so much deck furniture, the blue/grey breaks up the warm woods and whites nicely. I've done some other parts with AKI weathering set 1 and I'm very happy so far (not pictured yet).

Anyway, will keep posting as I go, should plod along more quickly now.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Deck on, with minimal fuss actually. As ever with skinny plastic, the hull was a tad warped, so there is a gap which will need sorting. Frankly when I tested it prior to painting, it was worse so the squeezing and cajoling has worked. Most important thing is that the deck is flush to the same level round the hull. My earlier Titanic has a definite tilt to starboard!

Going to leave this 24 hours while I start working through the furniture, it all needs priming.

15814398330968083421010517228055.jpg15814398813715333548794238098586.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Andrew your work looks very good to me an its comin on fine lookin forward to your next updates
chris

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Done the front third of the deck now. Way beyond my usual efforts.

Officianados will note I have dispensed with the flat colours on the wooden parts as once you've done one piece with wood effect, the rest have to be done I'm sure you'll agree. Loving the AKI weathering acrylics recommended to me by you fine people.

Few bits to touch up of course, but I'll do that before the masts.20200219_231926.jpg

20200219_231134.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
FINE bit of work there mr conkers an quite a lot of nice fine detail :thumb2:
chris

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Most of the deck stuff done. Taken some artistic license, just felt there was too much black, so broke out the brass.

20200223_204525.jpg
20200223_204535.jpg
20200223_204547.jpg
Also, a moment I presume brings us all pride, where someone asks if it's wood or plastic. Really like the finish the AKI weathering acrylics have made on the cabins.

20200223_204553.jpg

So, couple more rails and then the cross your fingers moment seeing whether Revell have sold you warped masts.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Exceptional detail there on the deck, that's taken some time I bet Andrew.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you gentlemen. It has been a labour of love, am motivated to make each part as high a standard as possible. Twice as long for more than twice as much.

Having great fun with wood effects. Recell have the life boats all painted flat white. Well, stuff that, it just looks unrealistic. Decided to experiment with some washing. On the right, the Revell instructionsin white, on the left AKI base with a Vallejo light wash over it (first wash I've done). No contest in my opinion.

20200302_202508.jpg