Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark

B

bobnv

The guy that got me into this, lot of help you are..................................

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA anybody know whats happened to mr Conkers an this build ?
chris

B

bobnv

Conversation I had with Bobby, when we were kicking information back and forth over his Cutty and the one I started, he mentioned that he was ready to start rigging on his, but was having some issues with his hands, not sure what, and was going to take a break for a bit before getting into it, but didn't think he was meaning the forums as well.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Conversation I had with Bobby, when we were kicking information back and forth over his Cutty and the one I started, he mentioned that he was ready to start rigging on his, but was having some issues with his hands, not sure what, and was going to take a break for a bit before getting into it, but didn't think he was meaning the forums as well.
WELL Bob it looks like he did but ken is building one so all not lost
chris

B

bobnv

Pretty sure BC will BB (Bobby Conkers will Be Back) hopefully sooner than later.
That's good about Ken, us plastic guys got to keep you spectacular out of control scratch from wood, with no concept of limitations guys in line. I have been plugging along on mine, sorting out and painting on the hull sections and the decking so should have some pictures of progress in a couple or so, had a broken off piece on a railing section missing so I am joining the gang of missing parts that go boing in the night, how can a piece escape from a completely sealed plastic bag. Will be lining the walls of my workroom with aluminum foil, this alien abduction crap has got to stop.

BTW the behemoth is looking really good, coming along great.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Pretty sure BC will BB (Bobby Conkers will Be Back) hopefully sooner than later.
That's good about Ken, us plastic guys got to keep you spectacular out of control scratch from wood, with no concept of limitations guys in line. I have been plugging along on mine, sorting out and painting on the hull sections and the decking so should have some pictures of progress in a couple or so, had a broken off piece on a railing section missing so I am joining the gang of missing parts that go boing in the night, how can a piece escape from a completely sealed plastic bag. Will be lining the walls of my workroom with aluminum foil, this alien abduction crap has got to stop.

BTW the behemoth is looking really good, coming along great.

HI Bob yes lets hope bk comes back on a thanks for the kind words concerning my behemoth an yes its certainly turning into one a bigun she will be an still lots to do on her but she's comin on lookin forward to seein some of your pics of your cutty
ATB stay safe chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Bobnv I really like your avatar of silvester very funny that gave me a good laugh :thumb2: :smiling2:
chris

B

bobnv

HI Bobnv I really like your avatar of silvester very funny that gave me a good laugh :thumb2: :smiling2:
chris
Actually my favorite, but played around before I resized it for here and wanted to get a feel for the gang because of the wording underneath it. This one will stay.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Greetings fellow mogglers!

I return. Moggle building is very much an autumn/winter hobby for me, I just like being outside too much when the sky is a lighter shade of grey.

But I do not desert you. Rigging - to do. Sails - to decide upon. I also have to finish off my speed build of a submarine which also got parked in March.

I am back, let us see how the endeavour (not The Endeavour) will end.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Greetings fellow mogglers!

I return. Moggle building is very much an autumn/winter hobby for me, I just like being outside too much when the sky is a lighter shade of grey.

But I do not desert you. Rigging - to do. Sails - to decide upon. I also have to finish off my speed build of a submarine which also got parked in March.

I am back, let us see how the endeavour (not The Endeavour) will end.
HI MR Conkers its good to see you back i wondered where you had gone now lets see some fine moddeling off you:thinking: you have a lot to make up for lol :rolling: :smiling2:
chris

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi all.

Looks like I'll be back on this soon.

Some advice please. These bits (climby rope things for the masts) just have a matt black for the painting instructions.

I don't have the patience to make my own from fibre, so how would you paint these to make them look a little less 'painted black plasticky'? Any ideas?

20210126_213739.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They were tarred rope I think, so Matt black dry brushed a lighter grey to bring out the texture would work as well.....

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As Tim says the shrouds (long vertical bits) were tarred black the ratlines (crosswise bits) would have been more ropey from wear. The little bits at the bottom, lanyards, pieces 180 and 168 and the bits they cover, would be rope coloured since they are the working bits used to tighten the shrouds.

By the way this is looking very nice and glad to see you have got back to it.

John

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all.

I think I will try some dry brushing as Tim suggests, just got to get some weathering in there. Wotan, you make a good point, there will be foot scuffing on the horizontals. I might try some unmixed gunmetal for the verticals actually, that will give a variety of shading and highlights, as long as it doesn't look too metallic afterwards. Them maybe some wood base dry brushed on the ratlines.

Experiment time!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi mate
I would be tempted to go with a base coat of dark grey, highlights dry brushed with lighter grey, then pin washed in black. Make sure all the seam lines are gone though, this will make them stand out like a sore thumb!

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi mate
I would be tempted to go with a base coat of dark grey, highlights dry brushed with lighter grey, then pin washed in black. Make sure all the seam lines are gone though, this will make them stand out like a sore thumb!

That would be tempting, but pin washing this would take weeks I think.

I'll see how long one takes, and thank you!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Try one of the game washes Bobby. I use Vallejo games washes a lot. They are formulated for this type of work and flow very well. You would be able to basically splash it all over like Henry.....and it will flow into creases etc. Any excess where you don’t want it can be removed with a damp brush before it dries....