Revell 1/96 Spanish Galleon

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi all.

Sorry for my indolence. The sun came out and I like to take advantage. Also, it means my skip raiding and carpentry skills were required to sort some steps for our decking.

20210424_132757.jpg
20210425_141556.jpg
20210425_165544.jpg

As for the model, it's not put away, I'm still considering a colour change on some of it before I carry on. Watch this space, and thank you for following!

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
I have no idea what your knowledge of period rigging is like so forgive me if I'm being presumptuous; Conway Maritime Press produced a series called 'Anatomy of the Ship in the 80's. One that may be of interest to you is 'The Colonial Merchantman Susan Constant 1605' by the esteemed Brian Lavery (1988) ISBN 0-85177-489 - x. Although it's a merchantman rigging details are similar to warships except inasmuch as fighting ships were more sturdily rigged, often doubled up or equipped with chain preventers etc. Details in the book are clear and concise (as expected of Lavery!) and cover all aspects of the construction. Hope this may be of use to you and, once again, forgive me if I'm out of order.
Steve
Thank you for this. If I were to do it properly this is just what I'd need - damn good of you to point it out!

However, I very much wing these things, due to limitations of patience, skill, size of fingers and whatever other excuse I can think of!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice work Andy .:thumb2:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thank you for this. If I were to do it properly this is just what I'd need - damn good of you to point it out!

However, I very much wing these things, due to limitations of patience, skill, size of fingers and whatever other excuse I can think of!
I agree wholeheartedly! Rigging is probably the most frustrating part of period ship building I think - before my eyes needed Jodrell Bank magnification and my fingers morphed into passable copies of Walls' finest I was OK - then I decided to make my ship models in the Admiralty style - all mast reduced to just below the Tops with the 'broken' stumps painted red. Very effective and much easier on display cabinets!

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good afternoon ladies and gents. Summer is over, so I'm back indoors and ready to get this going again.

I've just discovered the single most important thing about this forum. Having got this beast out, looked at all the wires, strings, scribbles on the instructions and brushed out the dead wasps, realised I hadn't a clue where I'd got to, what I was going to do next, and how. Or even why.

Boom! I'd written it all down in here to bore the pants off all of you fine people. Not just showing off, but proper "find the email from last March" project management.

Time to get the tool boxes out, have an organise, and see if I can get this done before Spring.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
HOORAY MR CONKERS IS BACK wondered where you was now lets see some action lol
chris

Thank you Chris.

"Action", so far, has consisted of dusting it for an hour, reglueing the cannons which had been knocked askew by dogs, children, earthquakes etc., trying to find what the hell my daughter has done with all my tweezers and painting four ladders. It's rock 'n' roll here I tell thee.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Foiled up a few ceilings so the lights aren't all absorbed, but it's a marginal improvement - they're lighting small areas so aren't being lost when dry tested.

I put a non-flickering one in mid deck and I've decided it looks odd with the others, so going to see if I can fish it out and swap it...

20211123_221338.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes agree with the member for the Colonies .
Have you retrieved the tweezers sets yet. Andy ? I seem to remember daughters were another incarnation of the carper monster.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes agree with the member for the Colonies .
Have you retrieved the tweezers sets yet. Andy ? I seem to remember daughters were another incarnation of the carper monster.

I did, and while discovering them I "borrowed" half a litre of acetate and some fancy-ass nail clippers which are doing a fine job as sprue cutters.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL DONE MR Conkers very nice work looks very good indeed with the lights shineing through the windows an paintwork is also very good any chance of some crew figures ?
chris

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
WELL DONE MR Conkers very nice work looks very good indeed with the lights shineing through the windows an paintwork is also very good any chance of some crew figures ?
chris

Thank you Chris.

I will be having a go at the figures and will decide whether they're good enough to go on. Will be done towards the end - still a maybe I suppose.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you Chris.

I will be having a go at the figures and will decide whether they're good enough to go on. Will be done towards the end - still a maybe I suppose.

And in fact I will need some deck furniture to try and hide the kitbashing. I think I can hide most of the external wiring, and have what I think is a clever idea for the masts, but there will still be the odd hole which could use a Marinera to distract from it.