Revell (Dragon) bf110C-7

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is the first time that I have built the same kit twice under boxings of exactly the same moulds by two companies, it was a very interesting experience and it is worth first comparing what is on offer from the two companies and how they differ.

A copy of my completed Dragon boxing of this kit here https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/dragon-1-32-scale-messerschmidt-bf110c-7.18358/

First price:
I remember paying £94 for the Dragon kit while the Revell boxing costs £58 (from John: https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/1-32-messerschmitt-bf110-c-7-revell-04961)

So on cost the Revell boxing wins hands down.

The Contents

The Dragon kit included some p.e. for the underside loop aerial and the seat belts. The Revell boxing only has the moulded plastic loop aerial (also in the Dragon kit) and decal seat belts. On the surface that is one up for Dragon, but not really so. I ended up using the plastic loop aerial with Dragon anyway and the thick p.e. seatbelts are not very good. For both kits it is best to get an aftermarket seatbelt set. No advanage Dragon here.

The Instructions
The instructions on the Dragon kit were the worse I have ever seen. If you managed to get it built using those then the prominent trim wheel in the cockpit would be missing, the cannon magazine drum reloads (very visible) would be missing and you would have two pitot tubes, having drilled the hole for and then attached a long one belonging to a much later version. That is just what I remember off the top - there would be a lot more wrong as well. So my hope was that Revell would improve the instructions and, err well, they did correct a few labelling errors, but 80% of the problems are still there as all they did was split up the illustrations on the Dragon instructions and split them over several pages and changed the order. In fact the Revell instructions were worse to follow and I referred back to the Dragon ones several times....

In conclusion dont bother with the Revell instructions at all. If you buy the Revell kit do the following:
1/ Throw the Revell instructions away.
2/ Go on-line download the Dragon instructions and the following as well, the Brett Green Errata list at the bottom of this page http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/reviews/kits/dragon3203reviewbg_1.htm

It is far easier to relate Brett Green's Errata list to the Dragon instructions than to the Revell.

3/ Download the instructions for the Eduard 1/48 scale bf110C. These will help you place some parts that are only vaguely idendified or ignored on the Dragon instructions.

The Decals
The Revell ones are really quite good but beware of the 'bee' nose art as I had real problems with it and ended up doing another aftermarket version.

The Dragon decals are incomplete, no walk lines among other things but they do have a swastika which is lacking in the Revell.

Overall this is 'one up' for Revell but really do consider aftermarket markings whatever release of this kit you get.

The Plastic.
Bear in mind these two kits used exactly the same moulds I was amazed at how different the two are. The only difference being the types of plastic used.

I have posted a lot recently about plastic quality. The Revell plastic is certainly better that what Aifix uses and is less prone to warping and so, for that reason I would not describe Revell's plastic as being unfit for large scale kits as I consider Airfix to be. There was some warping and shrinkage of the Revell plastic but it was not serious and was easy to deal with.

Dragon used a much better quality of plastic on their release, it was very much like that which Tamiya uses. It has a better balance between hard and soft, it 'feels' more tactile, heavier more solid and it seems to 'hold' the detail better, crisper parts.

This does actually mean that the fit of the Dragon kit was better. This was a surprise, after all it is all from the same molds. That is not to say that the fit of the Revell was bad, it was not, it just was not quite so exact as the Dragon version. So, on the plastic, that is a clear winner for Dragon.

Summary
If you are on a budget and if every £ counts then buy the Revell kit, it is a real bargain. If you are not quite so price sensitive then go for the Dragon, I really do think that it is worth £30 or so extra for the better plastic.

Overall though, whichever kit you get you will be able to turn out a very impressive bf110 in 1/32 scale. Instructions aside this was a very enjoyable build just take your time, dry fit and check three or four steps ahead and plan. Whatever you do though, do use the Dragon instructions backed up with Brett Green's list and Eduard's instructions, and enjoy it.

Now, photos of the completed build:

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2698.jpgIMG_2700.jpgIMG_2703.jpgIMG_2699.jpgIMG_2702.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
That's an interesting comparison. I wonder why Dragon don't improve their instructions - such a common black mark against them.
The model is superb, as are all your efforts. Love that nose art.
Jim

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb result Barry, enjoyed watching it come together

First Name
Carl
As always Barry a standard to aspire to. Loverly build.
Ps- where did you buy your swastika transfers from?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fantastic result and a very impressive model.

For some reason I missed the 'completed' thread until now, but I've been following your progress in the other thread. Instruction eh? Just someone else's opinion on how the kit should be built :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Barry

Thanks for taking the time to post the comparisons, very interesting. As always the model is beautifully finished. very well done indeed.

Andrew