Revell/ICM 1/16 SWAT Officer

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave.
Like Jim I've never seen you paint or even in my case seen you do a figure before, is this a New You we see.:smiling2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been inspired ( and shamed ) by the figure painting on this forum, so I thought I'd have another go, I've had numerous failures, most of which are now landfill. - 1/16 seems to be about right for my meagre facepainting skills. Who knows, if this turns out OK, I might try something a bit more adventurous ( the 1/16 ICM Viking looks to fit the bill.............)
Dave
PS I find that my paintbrushes are not up to the task of really fine painting - they're OK for aircraft & AFV, but not figures! I'll have to invest in a few in the New Year......................

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further work. I find it difficult to decide whether to paint the pouches/bags on or off the model. I can see the advantages of adding all the bits, then priming overall. Then again, I can see that it's easier to paint the inaccessible bits before assembling. Whichever way, I seem to be touching up aall the time...............
Decals added to the torso, and the first pass at painting the face, still needs work, I'm struggling with my paintbrushes, definitely need some better smaller brushes...............P1060806.JPGP1060802.JPG

I've drilled the heels, and added wire pegs to give more positive location on the baseP1060804.JPG

I'll be using the tarmac insert on the base - I used one of the spares to get the hole positions right

P1060805.JPG

Getting there - I'm going to sacrifice a paintbrush, trim the hairs to make a more positive small brush.............
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Good of them to supply decals Dave. This is beginning to look very smart indeed.

I generally prefer to paint all of the accessories separately, and I do find that involves lots of touching-up as I go along.It does mean that you can get at the detail though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've stripped off the face paint & given it a fresh flesh base - I've cut down a paintbrush to about 12 hairs, and will have another go tomorrow....................
Dave

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mine has arrived. May get a resin replacement head. Costs as much as the kit though. But amazing details on it. Hmmmm

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rapidly approaching a conclusion.
Body completely assembled - every time I look I see something that needs touching up!P1060807.JPGP1060808.JPG

In retrospect, it would have been better if I had used a lighter blue for his uniform - it would have provided more contrast against the rest of his gear, and it is easier to darken something, than lighten it!
I'm going to give it all a once over & touch up all the bits I have missed. I'll add his head, but, not the helmet & visor. I'll give it an overall matt varnish finish, then attempt a few washes......................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
In daylight - I swear that every time I touch this feller, some paint comes off!P1060834.JPGP1060831.JPG

After a final touch up (!), I'll try a few washes, although the colours are so similar in tone, it's going to be tricky, maybe I'll try variations in vanish mattness ( if there is such a word ).
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not finished yet! - I'm going to tinker with this for a while.................
I've learnt a lot - including that my paint brushes aren't good enough for such small detail, which I'm in the process of sorting out. I'm on the lookout for another 1/16 figure for another learning session.
Of course, according to my nature, I'll be looking for a bargain! :tongue-out3:
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Looking good. As you say you have learned a lot to take forward to the next figure.
Jim