Revell/ICM 1/35 German Infantry 1914

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ok, I’ve done the Tommies, now it’s time for some Germans.

I bought this set for painting practice and I still need all the practice I can get, so I’m breaking out the Fritzes.
Revell WWI Infantry.jpg
They come with 2 of the weapons and kit sprues, and at first I thought I had a cheeky bonus sprue, but once I got down to sorting them I realised you need BOTH sprues for enough personal kit. It’s a very strange decision by the manufacturer because we are only talking about cartridge pouches, mess tins, and water bottles. You even get 4 Stahlhelms per sprue so now I have EIGHT in the spares box. In fact, because the fourth figure is an officer, they only needed to include one more of each. Somebody wasn’t paying attention, I think.
IMG_20200604_181614306_HDR.jpg
As with the Tommies I will mount them on a little piece of 1914 France or Belgium.

I had this in mind
p19-ww1.jpg
If anyone has any ‘bright’ ideas about what colour the flowers might be (bearing in mind it’s probably August) I’ll be grateful for suggestions.

Again, as with the Tommies these boys are clearly based on this guy
IMG_20200625_214404349_HDR.jpg
From this classic book
IMG_20200625_214421943_HDR.jpg

Anyway, I have separated the ‘Four Fritzes’ into ZipLock bags each with their kit, ready to work on them one at a time as interludes during my main projects.I don’t like to do groups of figures all at once for fear of them becoming a production line and losing their little ‘souls’.

"What happened to the one job at a time rule?" I hear you cry.......
It evolved ;)

Cheers

Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks for the suggestion, but don't think they are big enough for sunflowers Dave
not even immature ones..............
sunflowers.jpg

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks for your interest everyone.
I do like these sets, as I’ve said before, but they DO have some tiny parts
tiny parts.jpg
But I don’t let that beat me
pickelhaube.jpg
The Carpet Monster shall not have them!
IMG_20200610_093303337_HDR.jpg
The sculpting and engineering of these figures is very good, but I do struggle with the poses. I couldn’t make the arms and hands work with the rifle without resorting to the old copper wire trick.
IMG_20200609_221730668_HDR.jpg
A smidge of Duro and Fritz is all ready for the wet stuff - I'm painting all his kit separately
IMG_20200611_101152009_HDR.jpg
thanks for looking
Cheers
Neil

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil, Peter is probably correct, the only other plants grown like that would have been Linseed, more commonly known as Flax, grown for linen and the coarser for rope.
Didn't think it would be long before the wire made an appearance and green stuff.:smiling3:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil, Peter is probably correct, the only other plants grown like that would have been Linseed, more commonly known as Flax, grown for linen and the coarser for rope.
Didn't think it would be long before the wire made an appearance and green stuff.:smiling3:

Cheers John, I hoped you would be lurking.
Having googled linseed, I find it has a blue-purple flower and mustard is yellow.
Hmmmmm:thinking:
I'll have to think about that.
The yellow would look better with the field grey uniforms, but field of purple would be very striking.
Can you imagine a German staff officer saying to general Von Moltke " I say sir, do you think that's wise ? The men will clash terribly against those purple flowers......"
Or maybe not. At the right time of day it would be very good camouflage.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Found this photo of a field of Flax, which might be of help Neil.

1593200593513.png

Has that same pattern of flower .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks John
In the photo the flowers are white, so I'm thinking it must be the mustard.
The jury is still out

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Could well be Neil, both crops are about the same height, and we have no idea of the type grown at that time. Both grown in Northern France and Germany.
1593202629109.png

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
So Fritz 1 is painted.
he still needs weathering and rife sling
A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpg
I'm a bit irritated about the join of the Pickelhaube. I must stick it on and fill the gap next time.
I also found the cartridge pouches difficult to fit so I will do that before painting next time.
AND if you look closely you'll see that he's got two bayonets - I'll have to remove the one in Fritz 2's scabbard.
I used Vallejo chipping medium for the mess tin again, which worked fine because I sprayed the black. I also used it on the personal equipment hoping to make the leather look a bit worn, but it really doesn't like being brush painted over, so I left it.
So that's one down ,three to go.
Thanks for looking
Neil
PS- I KNOW the rifle bolt is in the wrong place, another lesson learned....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think you’re looking at white mustard here...Mostly due to the Expected plant height of about 2 foot.
Flax grows to about 4 foot high, and would Then show as waste high or better. The image Foliage is only knee high....
Good start on the figure by the way, he looks suitably apprehensive about the advance....

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I think you’re looking at white mustard here...Mostly due to the Expected plant height of about 2 foot.
Flax grows to about 4 foot high, and would Then show as waste high or better. The image Foliage is only knee high....
Good start on the figure by the way, he looks suitably apprehensive about the advance....
Thanks Tim, I wish I had the skill to influence his expression, but it's just the way it shook out:upside: -must be down to the sculptor.
Now I've got three flower options, but thanks :thinking:

• Haha