Revell/ICM 1/35 WWI Tommies

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I finished the Spitfire and I still needed a break from the intensity of the Imperial Guard Grenadier so I found myself painting the next one of my Revell/ICM world war one Tommies -remember this guy from March 2019?
IMG_20190425_184454475.jpg
He is from this set, which I think is a fantastic bargain.
Revell WWI Infantry.jpg
You get 12 very well sculpted figures and loads of extra equipment for around £9 at the moment. Considering each set of 4 is currently around £12 it’s an absolute steal, and it would be an ideal place for any beginner to start without breaking the bank.

Anyway, I wanted to try out my wet palette, which I’ve had for a while and been a bit afraid of for some reason. So I piled into this guy and before I knew it he was done!
2B.jpg
2C.jpg
2D.jpg
2A.jpg

I have to say I found the wet palette to be an absolute revelation!. It dealt with all my previous moans about using acrylic paints, and enabled me to make washes and filters which I’ve never managed before.
Now I’m not saying my painting has got to the standard I want it to but I now at least have a fighting chance of improving without giving up in despair at the limitations of the paint. I was seriously considering going back to Humbrol enamels after the last effort.
Last time I used the Life Color set for WW1 uniforms but I didn’t like the basic uniform colours, so this time I used Vallejo British Uniform as a basis, and I was much happier with the result. The first one is going to look a bit strange next to him, so I might have to repaint the first one, but now I feel a bit more confident that’s not such a terrifying prospect.

I really enjoy the modelling side of figures but I have always considered the painting part to be a necessary evil, but to my surprise I found I actually enjoyed this experience!

I was on a roll so I did another one in case I forgot how!
Thanks for looking in
Neil

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Neil,
as you say, those sets are a real bargain - aside from the figures, there are loads of equipment not relevant to 1914, Chauchat, Lewis etc. that can be used elsewhere. Have you tried out any of the German Infantry yet?
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

You enjoyed painting a figure! Whatever next Neil? I can can tell you enjoyed it because it's bloomin' good. Well done that man.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil,
as you say, those sets are a real bargain - aside from the figures, there are loads of equipment not relevant to 1914, Chauchat, Lewis etc. that can be used elsewhere. Have you tried out any of the German Infantry yet?
Dave
Not yet ,Dave, but I think they will have to be next up.
I was looking at them to see what I could use as battlefield debris for these boys and to my amazement I had a double set of German equipment. RESULT!
I'm trying to resist buying another set simply because it's a bargain,but if I think of some conversion ideas I'm done for

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm trying to resist buying another set simply because it's a bargain,but if I think of some conversion ideas I'm done for
Damn!
I just looked at Europa Militaria World War One Infantry in Colour Photographs and now I have of loads of ideas........still, 12 figures for £8.44., why not?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ok here's the next one.
3A.jpg
3C.jpg
3D.jpg
I tried a different approach to the ink washes on this one. After the main painting I gave him a coat of Klear and then did the lining. It worked ok, and I might do it that way again
I still have to dirty them all .
I made all of these Out Of The Box because they were intended as painting practice, but I'm not wild about the poses, and I have to say that the faces are all quite similar.
When I do the others I will pay a bit more attention to those issues.
What IS useful is that all three sets in this package are clearly based on the Europa Militaria book which means the reference for painting is very clear.
Thanks for looking

D

Deleted member 4539

Very nicely painted Neil :smiling3:.
I bought the AK Interactive wet pallete a few weeks ago from John and have found it to be fantastic,I wish I had bought one years ago.
(I thought they were a gimmick at the time).

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thank you ,Peter and Ralph.
Here's the officer.
I had to do a little more research - especially as regards the cap and the (lack of) cuff decoration - as the officer's uniform is not in the book.
Having watched Downton Abbey ;) I knew I needed a slightly different colour for the more expensive tunic so I went with Vallejo grey green, but that was too much so I added a filter of British Uniform.
I presume it's a Guards thing, but the cap is different from what I expected, with the black band and braid on the peak. I also thought the cuffs were wrong because I was expecting the whole braid thing there, but it seems the Guards just had the single cuff button, so the designer got it spot on. The thing i don't really like is the stick, but it's strictly OOTB so I bashed on with it.
Although they are Grenadier Guards I haven't done the red shoulder titles which they all should have because I have chickened out. Archer do a set of decals but it's a lot of money for something so tiny, and I won't use any of the others that come with them,so I'll have a practice on something and see if I can cope. It's one of those things I did as a teenager without thinking, but I'm more risk averse in my old age!

4A.jpg
4B.jpg
4D.jpg

Looking at the pics on the screen I can see he needs a coat of matt lacquer-especially on the puttees.
So now I'm going to build a little base for them all, with green grass rather than mud because these are 1914 uniforms -Battle of the Marne, Retreat from Mons period- before the trenches.
And I have to address the difference in colour on the first figure I did.
thanks for looking in
Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Here are the three Tommies together.
3 Tommies 2.jpg

I accept that wartime conditions would have meant there were a variety of shades of uniform, but this is 1914 and these are the professional ‘Old Contemptibles’, so I doubt this would have been the case. Besides that, I don’t like it, and the photo doesn’t show the contrast as bad as it really is.

And don’t the two on the right look like brothers- if not even twins! Still, it was not unknown, was it?

I really couldn’t face doing all the shading and highlighting again, so being the lazy bug**er I am I stripped off the equipment- thank God I used PVA- and gave his uniform a very light wash of British Uniform

Bingo
over paint.jpg
Works for me!

I also made a start on the base. I’m using a jewellery display box I bought from evilbay.
IMG_20200607_180004691_HDR.jpg

I wanted to paint the bottom black and the lid is quite tight (it tapers more than is apparent in the pic) so I trimmed the sides down by 50% to allow for the thickness of the paint. I sprayed it black and gave it a coat of Klear, then I masked it and filled it with Sculptamold.

base.jpg

I mixed a lot of brown paint in with the Sculptamold (my son’s old Warhammer paints,still good after about ten years!) because it’s white. I will paint over it but I don’t want any white to show through. That said, it was quite chalky soil in certain parts of France and Belgium so a bit of white might not have been so wrong……

I want to have some battlefield debris and, inspired by Andy Belsey’s work, I made this set up from my extra BONUS set of German equipment .

german gear.jpg

I had to make the bread bag from an Airfix Multipose one and some lead foil as it's not included in the equipment set.

That’s all for now, thanks for looking in

Neil

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Neil,
the faces all look much the same ,colour, how about adding a bit of suntan to the old soldier - and how about a 'whisky nose' for the officer? :rolling:
I'm almost tempted to roust out my set, although I think the French may be a bit more appealing - did you spot the coffee grinder amongst the French equipment?
Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil,
the faces all look much the same ,colour, how about adding a bit of suntan to the old soldier - and how about a 'whisky nose' for the officer? :rolling:
I'm almost tempted to roust out my set, although I think the French may be a bit more appealing - did you spot the coffee grinder amongst the French equipment?
Dave
Yes , Dave, the coffee grinder leapt out at me too-can't wait to get that included with the Poilus when I do them.
As for the whisky nose ,I actually did it but then I chickened out:smiling5:. You're right about the colours, but presently I'm still just pleased to get them looking tolerably human; I will have to bear that in mind for the future.
And I have also discovered that my 'bonus' set of German equipment must be deliberate, because they only give you enough cartridge belts, water bottles, and canteens for 2 figures on each sprue; strange.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I dry brushed the base with a dark earth colour and then gave it a wash of GW Agrax Earthshadebase 2.jpg

Then I positioned my troops. They all have pins in their feet and the Sculptamold is soft enough to just push them in. BUT it should be noted that as it’s so soft it doesn’t really support the figures, so you need to drill into the base beneath as well (I must remember that next time……..).

base 4.jpg

I marked their positions with scraps of wire and then added the grass tufts

base3.jpg

Another rookie mistake!

It proved impossible to stick the figures down so I had to remove tufts in order do it. I should have stuck the figures in place first and THEN added the tufts.
Another consequence of the tufts was that I couldn’t make the German gear lie flat enough on the ground, so I had to sacrifice that idea, which was a shame as I was so chuffed with my first ever bit of chipping(on the mess tin in case it’s too subtle)!

german kit.jpg

To be fair I was always slightly uneasy about having German kit as battle debris as it implied an advance over a defeated foe. There must have been counterattacks but mostly at this period the BEF were withdrawing, so British or French kit would be more credible.

So I wanted a bit more interest on the base and I found some Scale Link etched ferns in the spares box from a hundred years ago.
ferns.jpg
They were fun……..

Anyway, it all finally came together and here they are in their little box
IMG_20200609_102519920_HDR.jpg
I’ll make a completed thread for the rest

Thanks for following

Cheers

Neil