Revell, Mercedes-benz, Dtm 2011

H

HCR TJSteel

My first model build, may have been a bit ambitious with it being a level 4 but seems to be going ok so far, even if that is just cutting one sheet of parts out (not sure a sword is the best weapon for this though lol).

I've read that it can be better to cut them out after painting but what do you then do about the parts you've just cut? aren't you going to be left with an unpainted mark on your part?

And everyone loves pictures so here we go :smiling3:

Feel free to make any comments / suggestions. I'll add more pictures as I go until hopefully the build is done.

2015-12-27%20DTM%20Model%20Build%2001.JPG

2015-12-27%20DTM%20Model%20Build%2002.JPG

2015-12-27%20DTM%20Model%20Build%2003.JPG

2015-12-27%20DTM%20Model%20Build%2004.JPG

First Name
Aaron
Nice start mate. I build then paint. Just personal preference.

H

HCR TJSteel

Thanks Aaron,

Hobby store didn't have any glue so I guess I'll be painting before I can put anything together anyway, oh and some of the colours I wanted they never had in stock so can only do parts of it for now but I'll get there, ebay to the rescue lol

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi Jay,

Welcome to our forum mate.... As Aaron says we all have our way of doing stuff and There isn't a right or wrong way. I tend to build a bit then paint as I go with small assemblies..... Enjoy your modelling however you do it :smiling3:

D

dougie

\ said:
Thanks Aaron,
Hobby store didn't have any glue so I guess I'll be painting before I can put anything together anyway, oh and some of the colours I wanted they never had in stock so can only do parts of it for now but I'll get there, ebay to the rescue lol
Are you kidding, no glue!? Crazy. Must have been a busy Christmas For them lol.

I am a beginner too. I think you should always cut the parts and dry fit. Too many kits that don't fit quite right here and there. If you work in small assemblies you know what fits and make adjustments before painting because messing about after painting will leave marks and scuffs etc... You will find your own methods though and this will be a good learning curve.

Good luck with the build, take your time and don't rush, the end result will be better for it!

First Name
Marc
Good advice there Dougie. Dry fitting is so important. Some kits are about as accurately made as a blind persons shooting range. Also i find that dry fitting tends to help with the building process and makes you more familiar with the kit

H

HCR TJSteel

I've did quite a bit work on this yesterday. Have been cutting the parts. Making sure they fit, smoothing the rough edges, then gluing parts that are the same colour together, painting, then gluing.

Going to do more work on it over the weekend so will get some more pics of it up once I'm done. Hardest

part so far are the brakes, so small and need 3 colours, just madness lol.

And keeping brush strokes off on the large areas.

H

HCR TJSteel

Got more pics :smiling3:

2015-12-28%20DTM%20Model%20Build%2001.JPG

2015-12-28%20DTM%20Model%20Build%2002.JPG

Not too happy with how the vinyl stuck to the engine, I know the surface is pretty bumpy but didn't think it'd end up this bad, thought they were supposed to bend around the lumps, anyway to save this or am I better off removing it and painting it instead? Makes it look like I've rushed it or something

M

MK Academy

Nice build, a bit challenging when it comes to te decals..I have just finished this one..I've posted it on the complete section..have a look..

FB_IMG_1453588967728.jpg

FB_IMG_1453589006553.jpg

H

HCR TJSteel

nice, haven't had a chance to do anything further on mine yet, will need to get back at it soon though

H

HCR TJSteel

Tried to share these pics a while ago but for some reason it's just uploaded a gallery and not posted it here, so adding it again :smiling3:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

I've since finished this model, but still need to get the photo's from my camera for it and also take some more of the finished interior, I'll try get them up soon though.

How do you go about making a finished model post, do you get this thread moved or start a new one?