Revell Pave Low

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ugly looking cove isn’t it......not sure if it’s the most hideous around though....there’s the Austin Princess for a start.....

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Don't like whirlybirds at all, rode in one once.........that was all it took. everything about it was "unnatural".

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andrew.
Oh have to agree.
I shall stand with Rick for this, and agree with his feelings, was once offered a flight in an Army Air Core contraption and refused point blank !

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've only been in one once, the token Vegas trip round the Strip, over to the Hoover Dam, laugh at Trump's hotel and back. Found it quite fun, although never actually felt wholly safe!

Landing one on a boat in the middle of a storm in the Pacific must be a skill, especially to keep one's breakfast in and not have to wear plastic pants.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Anyway, want to build a 'copter eventually, but one which is 'presentable'. Any suggestions of a reasonably large scale model kit which impresses would be welcome.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Landing one on a boat in the middle of a storm in the Pacific must be a skill
Not the Pacific, but:—

Anyway, want to build a 'copter eventually, but one which is 'presentable'. Any suggestions of a reasonably large scale model kit which impresses would be welcome.
Any preference for scale? Because if big is the main objective, then I suppose we’d have to recommend one of Trumpeter’s CH-47s in 1:35 scale …

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Depends what you want from it. Are you after weapon laden machines or utility? Support or military?

Apaches are the ultimate beast IMO, but the cobra is a sleeker, better looking machine.
Hueys are similarly iconic with a huge variety of applications.
The lynx is a multi-role helicopter and the sea king is hard to beat too.
Then you take it up a notch and start looking at jolly greens and chinooks, not to mention the russian monsters!

There are army, marines, navy, air force, coastguard, fire service, police, ambulance, civilian, presidential and stealth varieties too!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL MR Conkers try a nice british merlin helo in 1/72 scale they are one of the nicest designs of a helo in my opinion
chris

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Depends what you want from it. Are you after weapon laden machines or utility? Support or military?

Apaches are the ultimate beast IMO, but the cobra is a sleeker, better looking machine.
Hueys are similarly iconic with a huge variety of applications.
The lynx is a multi-role helicopter and the sea king is hard to beat too.
Then you take it up a notch and start looking at jolly greens and chinooks, not to mention the russian monsters!

There are army, marines, navy, air force, coastguard, fire service, police, ambulance, civilian, presidential and stealth varieties too!

I suppose I look at this from the usual perspective, in that I just want a "nice model" at the end of it! So I suppose aesthetics are my main aim, the actual provenance of my chopper is secondary in consideration.

The larger scale just helps me with detailing, I am not one with the patience to do minute work, so if there's a 1/48 and 1/72 of the same thing, I'll choose the 1/48 every time.

So, I don't care if it's a bright red Apache or a pink Pave Low, it's more so I can look in the cockpit and the joysticks look good.

Far too many double entendres with helicopters..

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Whatever you choose, don't buy any of the Revell 1/32 versions of the Eurocopter EC 145 unless you like a lot of fitting and sanding.
Pete

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
So scale, detail and interest, with good visibility.

That has huey all over it. It’s virtually open all around with loads of glass and huge doors. Plus the twin blades make storage / display a little easier than something with 3 or more.
You could look for air cav or a sharks mouth vietnam example if you want colour and more interest / complication.

Tri-colour marine AH-1 is always a good looker too if you aren’t into olive drab with the same advantages as a huey. I believe they were developed around the hueys engine.