Revell Renwal Wrecker Truck

I

Icabod

View attachment 115934

After having an unexpected absence from modelling for the last few months I became a bit nostalgic and bought a model truck from a series of kits I remember as 'FROG'.

The model has gone to together very well considering the age of the kit, and all the moving parts work just fine. The parts fit was very good once the flash was removed and the parts tidied up a little with a file. In fact everything lines up perfectly even There were quite a few mould rings to fill but very little filler was used. The build is entirely out of the box except that I drilled out the lights and used some foil for reflectors and acetate to form the lenses. The tiny bits of white are some small blanks of plasticard used to cover mould imperfections rather than use filler.

Not that accurate I suppose and at 1/32nd non standard scale now-a-days but a great modelling experience so far, and it all comes apart.

Model need final painting and all the fiddly bits doing.

Figures are a joke, all are over 6ft tall and skeletal.

View attachment 115929

View attachment 115928

View attachment 115930

View attachment 115931

View attachment 115932

View attachment 115933

DSC_0180_zpshymc0w42.jpg

Revell%20Renwall%20Miltary%20Wrecker%20Truck_zpsuv5d8ofh.jpg

DSC_0174_zpsx0awx0mr.jpg

DSC_0176_zpsuzfka3iq.jpg

DSC_0177_zps6pouzwoz.jpg

DSC_0179_zps3famf88r.jpg

DSC_0181_zpsv810ts1t.jpg

Last edited:
P

Polux

That's a real interesting model! I never seen one of this before. It looks lovely :rolleyes:

Nice work so far. Just keep the pics coming ;)

Cheers

Polux

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice subject, trucks don't get the credit due them, they can get very complicated and involved. I have an old Italeri truck mounted Katiusha,View attachment 116112

will be part of my "Soviet Steamroller" series but not for a while yet. Will be watching;)th?&id=JN.T3Qfd00fuMky5tmvuSD7gA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice work so far on this one,should turn out great, ;)

D

dougie

nice to see some trucking trucks for a change ;) as said above. looks nice so far good job

I

Icabod

I appreciate the model is considered a 'toy' by some of the modelling critics but I must admit I am really enjoying this build and it is providing me with the enthusiasm to get back to modelling as I used to enjoy it. I don't remember this model in my youth though. I had the Ontos, Skysweeper and the self propelled gun and I used to drool over the pictures of the Atomic Cannon but it was way out of my paper round wage range. Still I have one now, if I ever get round to building it.

This kit has really gone together very well and until the roping was done, everything moved exactly as it said on the box. The kit still rolls all over the place making fixing anything a bit of problem.

Anyway below is the model with its initial coat of Olive Drab....

View attachment 116304

This was painted on last Sunday with a Gunze OD lightened in places. I tried Model Color but I thought it too brown.

Below is the same model this evening (Wednesday) after a bit of weathering, stringing for crane and some chains fitted. The chains were from the Jewellery section in Hobbycraft with 'catches' filed down to represent hooks. Rings are just copper bent copper wire and the rope on the front is some old wire with the sleeve removed and twisted. Very effective to look at.

Hopefully I should get it finished at the weekend. The cab cover need painting and fitting plus there is a very nice pick and shovel to put some where. I have also made some orange reflectors to go on the sides, which are decals in the kit and which look a bit flat. Looking at the pictures I can see the rust needs toning down. It doesn't look so red in real life, might be the camera.

Thanks for the comments. They are appreciated and any tips are always welcome.

View attachment 116305

View attachment 116306

View attachment 116307

View attachment 116308

Wrecker1%204_zpsd5zjnm6b.jpg

Wrecker%20150805%202_zpsrvzzgr0j.jpg

Wrecker%20150805%204_zpsttldn0cr.jpg

Wrecker%20150805%201_zpsctc6lb5x.jpg

Wrecker%20150805%203_zpsohmrrkh4.jpg

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
View attachment 127247
After having an unexpected absence from modelling for the last few months I became a bit nostalgic and bought a model truck from a series of kits I remember as 'FROG'.

The model has gone to together very well considering the age of the kit, and all the moving parts work just fine. The parts fit was very good once the flash was removed and the parts tidied up a little with a file. In fact everything lines up perfectly even There were quite a few mould rings to fill but very little filler was used. The build is entirely out of the box except that I drilled out the lights and used some foil for reflectors and acetate to form the lenses. The tiny bits of white are some small blanks of plasticard used to cover mould imperfections rather than use filler.

Not that accurate I suppose and at 1/32nd non standard scale now-a-days but a great modelling experience so far, and it all comes apart.

Model need final painting and all the fiddly bits doing.

Figures are a joke, all are over 6ft tall and skeletal.

View attachment 127242

View attachment 127241

View attachment 127243

View attachment 127244

View attachment 127245

View attachment 127246
I think this came out about the same time as the 'Atomic Annie' about 1957. Have you had any trouble with paint adhesion (or not) on the plastic.

Gave up on my 'AA' a while ago as nothing would seem to stay on the bits painted.

Must be the same crew as mine as they were like aliens.View attachment 116311

Automatons.JPG

I

Icabod

Here's my motley crew. The smallest when scaled up at 1/32 is 6' 4". He stands 2.3/8". All the figures stood up without any need to sand their feet flat and none have any flash. Very two dimensional, from this photo they look like cardboard cut outs. Nearly as bad as the figures included in the Revell 1/28 WW1 Biplane/Triplane series.

View attachment 116497

Wrecker%20150807%202_zpsutrkmnw7.jpg

T

trnkepfc

chain is maybe too light,you can add little brown with sponge tehnique ,for dark rust.

I

Icabod

\ said:
chain is maybe too light,you can add little brown with sponge tehnique ,for dark rust.
Thanks for the comment. I darkened them slightly and you can see the results. I also photographed without flash and set the camera to 'landscape' rather than 'close-up' to get the whole thing in focus.

I

Icabod

Finished, I think. Sometimes it is difficult to make that decision. A good 50% of my efforts never get finished fully.

The model is hardly a miniature replica in the style of Dragon or Tamiya but it was a really enjoyable build and a credit to the original mould designers. Considering the age of the model (40/50 years?) it is a first class kit. The only extras were the chains from Hobbycraft.

Hope you all like it.

View attachment 116655

View attachment 116656

View attachment 116657

View attachment 116658

View attachment 116659

Wrecker090815%203_zpstxyulnhk.jpg

Wrecker090815%202_zpsucfolzha.jpg

Wrecker090815%209_zpslbpcn9nq.jpg

Wrecker090815%204_zps3tav8noh.jpg

Wrecker090815%206_zpszdf2brry.jpg

First Name
Gregg
You have made a pig of a kit into something worth viewing.

Might persevere with my 'AA' after seeing this.