Revell Spitfire Mk1, 1/32 Scale

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This aircraft was flown by Battle of Britain ace, Bobby Oxspring. He was shot down late in the battle flying this aircraft, which crashed in Capel, between Dover and Folkestone. Oxspring bailed out, went on to score more victories and survived the war to reach high rank in the RAF after the war.

The kit suffered from severe warping of the wing which gave me serious problems and it does affect the look of the model even though I was able to correct the worse of it with the use of hot water!

The base kit is a Mk 2 but it is easy to get a Mk 1 out of a Mk 2 kit. There are, however, several inaccuracies in the kit that needed correcting with a.m. parts, most noticeably the oil cooler. The kit had fabric looking ailerons that needed replacing but thanks to the wing warping, I ended up using the kit parts. The difference in appearance is minor after a little sanding. The cockpit door was replaced as was the instrument panel and wheels. I used metal undercarriage legs as the kits ones are very fragile and an axle broke. The Eduard detailing set was very good and is recommended for this kit as it does make a big difference. I also got a resin am seat and armour plating.

The kit is cheap, the only good thing about Revell (apart from decent decals), but once I got the aftermarket, I spent more than I would need to spend on a Tamiya Spitfire at four times the cost of the Revell kit, with which I would have got a better result, but not a Mk 1sadly!

anyway some pictures.....

IMG_3192.jpegIMG_3195.jpegIMG_3197.jpegIMG_3198.jpegIMG_3199.jpegIMG_3200.jpegIMG_3201.jpegIMG_3202.jpegIMG_3203.jpegIMG_3204.jpegIMG_3205.jpeg

Now, below is the reason I wanted to build the aircraft - it is pictured alongside a set of cufflinks made from the casing of this aircraft's Merlin engine.

IMG_3206.jpegIMG_3209.jpegIMG_3210.jpeg

Last edited:

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Still turned out really well, Barry, despite the trials it gave you.....

Nick

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Barry as I said in your build thread it has turned out well you wouldn't know that you had had any issues. I think maybe you need to give the Revell kits a rest now and hopefully the Frogfoot won't give you any problems. Once again a great build with a nice paint job and subtle weathering.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Barry as I said in your build thread it has turned out well you wouldn't know that you had had any issues. I think maybe you need to give the Revell kits a rest now and hopefully the Frogfoot won't give you any problems. Once again a great build with a nice paint job and subtle weathering.
Yes indeed. No Revells in the stash now. I might get their Me262 in due course.......

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Beautiful Barry!
It's a tremendous result and well worth the hard work with the Revell kit.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Barry

As the others have said a top notch effort as always. And nice to have the extra addition of the cufflinks too.

ATB

Andrew

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautiful result Barry. A poignant build with the cufflinks.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Great build Barry, never can get enough of Spitfires :thumb2:
Steven

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks great Barry. I particularly like the splash of colour the Bakelite seat gives to the interior.....weathering is also spot on. Really impressive!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A beauty. Cuff links are a nice touch. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
That looks an excellent result. As you said the cost of the necessary after market stuff raised the cost to Tamiya level but you have what you wanted and it looks really nice. The cockpit is stunning.
Jim