Revell Tie Fighter

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have never had any interest in sci-fi, let alone made a model. One of my younger friends has a 7 year old ( soon to be 8 ), who is Star Wars mad, and as his birthday is approaching ( Feb. 8th ), his dad thought that as a little additional present he would give him a SW related model. By his own admission he is totally useless at any manual tasks ( he's a Sales & Marketing person ), and his lad is similarly gifted. Knowing my hobby, he asked if I would make it for him.
I rashly said yes, and so last night he put this into my hand ( in the middle of the pub! )
tie fighter.jpg
I've just had a glance at the bits & they look OK - the pilot looks more 1/72 ( assuming he's human ) - but there is engraved detail, no flash to speak of, and it looks like it started off as a snap together model.
Anyway, I've a couple of weeks to put this together, and I think I'll give it the full paint job, and a bit of space weathering.....................
Watch this space
Dave
ps NEVER thought I'd be posting in this section!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
You're done some unusual builds over the years but this is your best to date :smiling:
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I think I have covered most of the genres, Sci-Fi was lacking, but I did do some space models - the Airfix LEM & Vostok rockets spring to mind. :astonished:
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice of you to help your friend out Dave:thumb2:.

Having built some of the model TIE’s a couple of years back, the AMT & Finemolds ones, I fond it’s easier to paint the solar panels first and then mask them.

With your speed, you’ll have no problem finishing it in time.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lousy day here, has never really been daylight, couldn't raise any enthusiasm for real benchtime, so I took pics os the sprues etc. DSCF0124.JPGDSCF0116.JPGDSCF0115.JPGDSCF0114.JPG
Tiny decal for cockpit framing - the stand arm has a couple of ejector pin marks, but nothing disastrous
A few detail pics
DSCF0119.JPGDSCF0123.JPGDSCF0118.JPGDSCF0120.JPGDSCF0122.JPG
Pilot looks a bit like the Michelin man, but then again, he may not be human, and he is in a space suit!
Been trying out my new camera - the flash works a lot better than the previous antique!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave anything more happening on this build ?
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
I finished my Dingo, yesterday, so this will be on the slab soon. It won't be a long build - not many pieces!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Detail looks quite good if a little soft. The sprue gates, is that what they are called, are rather large on some parts.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction beginsDSCF0143.JPG
The bits for the 'fuselage' Since the model started life as a snap-together kit, there are large locating pins.
All the cockpit parts dry fitted......................
DSCF0144.JPG

I've sprayed the power panels black, then, masked up ready to do the frames a pale blue - one, all tape mask, the other with tape edging & the centre filled in with masking fluid.......DSCF0146.JPG
Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice start Dave,
It will be a nice surprise for that kid :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dave, I do remember some of your previous posts about never doing or even leaning towards Sci-Fi anything. It warms me to know that you are doing this out of kindness for your friend and his son. I will follow with interest. Cheers, Rick H.

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction just about finished! just the transparencies to add! The rest is just assembly ( after painting of course ) DSCF0149.JPGDSCF0151.JPGDSCF0152.JPGDSCF0153.JPG

The fit is pretty good, but there is a seam around the midriff to clean up...................
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave that's a great thing to do for the lad, might even get him into modelling !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
To be honest, it's giving me a chance to do a model that I would never buy for myself! I don't really feel any urge to rush out and get any more sci-fi models!!!!!!!!!! ( after all they're models of models! )
I have to confess, I've seen the early Star Wars films, but none of the later ones...............
At one time, I thought I was the only adult male in the area who had not read any Harry Potter books, but then I found a few similarly qualified gents ( although one of them is functionally illiterate ). I can sort of appreciate the Game of Thrones style of fantasy, but boy magicians, wizards & magic do nothing for me ( like the sci-fi models ).
Yes, I know I'm a miserable old git - but I'm proud of it! :tongue-out3:
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If it is any consolation, I haven't read Harry Potter either nor built a Sci-Fi model. Star Wars movies, they are all good. Best to see them in order though. Rick H.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Last post of the day. Seams smoothed, front transparency added ( a really tight fit, needed a bit of fine sanding round the edge to get it to sit right ), and the top hatch added
DSCF0155.JPG
You do have the option of a working top hatch - but this reveals the nasty hinges, so it's firmly glued down.
The stand makes a convenient place for overnight storage. First thing tomorrow I'll mask the transparencies with fluid before giving it a quick prime.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have to confess, I've seen the early Star Wars films, but none of the later ones...............
You’re not missing much if you haven’t seen the current ones. Or to put it another way: twenty years ago people were making disparaging comments about the films of the second trilogy that was then just being released. Nowadays, they’re saying those were actually pretty good after all in light of the new ones …

At one time, I thought I was the only adult male in the area who had not read any Harry Potter books
I haven’t read any either. I’ve seen one of the films (the third or fourth one, as I recall) because I went to see it with a group of friends and they all wanted to see it, but it didn’t make me rush out and read the books or see the other films.

Anyway … the model looks like a TIE Fighter so far, so you’re doing something right :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tranparencies masked off with Wilder Red Quick Mask.....................DSCF0156.JPG

All airbrushed with Vallejo RLM 76 Light Blue Grey - the stand, with Hataka Dark Sea Blue
DSCF0157.JPG

I'll leave this for a while, then the anxious business of peeling off the masks can commence.
Looking at this, I'm beginning to doubt whether the decal for the cockpit framing is going to work, there's some quite high parts, and the dishing will be a problem.
Dave