Revell/Zvezda 1/35 T-14 Armata - Russian New Generation Tank

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've seen wheels masks before but never one for armour Dave, I've used the putty before wasn't too bad.
It seems what ever method is used there will be touch up required.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, after masking - the turret result..................... P1060677.JPG
A lot of touching up needed................P1060678.JPG
At the moment, I'm not really impressed with the masks, there are too many lumps, bumps and ridges, so you will always get paint bleed. I think the way to go is to spray the two main colours, then brush paint the hard edges, and the small patches................
Dave

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, I don't think those masks are really doing the job!

Like you say, too many lumps n bumps for a piece of flat masking to follow. Only other thing I could suggest is just using them as a guide to draw the pattern on, mask the edges with fluid up to the lines, then fill in with tape. But if you're brushing on the fluid I guess you might as well just brush the paint on instead!

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
IF the diecut masks HAD been diecut properly, then it might have faster, having to cut out each mask with scissors slowed it right down. I have another J's Works mask set for the T-90MS, and if they aren't cut correctly, then I won't use them ( at least I can use the masks for other things........).
It's a speculative scheme, anyway, as I still haven't found any camo pictures of active Armatas!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
But if you're brushing on the fluid I guess you might as well just brush the paint on instead!
I think they’re aimed at those modellers who have an aversion to brush-painting because of some irrational fear of brush marks. But if this much touch-up is needed, you might as well just brush-paint the lot anyway, or at least the black patches and do the others like you say, with masking fluid.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I bought the masks from Lucky Models, in Hong Kong, I bought 2, the Armata & the T-90Ms, total cost was about £12, so not that bad. At least I can say I tried one!
J's Works do aircraft masks in 1/48, the Su-27 caught my eye, but at that time they weren't in stock ( about the same price as a tank mask ), I think that they would be much more usable, over a nice smooth surface.............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Coming up to the last lap..................
A lot of touching up & some fragile bits added.P1060679.JPGP1060680.JPG
Next will be an overall gloss spray of varnish, before some washes to bring out panel details
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Final touches applied, and it's finished.
Too late to take any pictures tonight, so I'll wait until tomorrow, then they will appear in the completed armor models section. Thanks for dropping by......
Dave