Revell/Zvezda 1/35 T-14 Armata - Russian New Generation Tank

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a difficult week, or so, I decided to clear my bench, and start on something new - a model that hasn't been blogged on this forum (yet!)Revell Armata.jpg
This is a reboxing of the Zvezda model,zvezda armata.jpg

This was produced in cooperation with UAZ, the manufacturers of the Armata, so, supposedly it's the most accurate model available. However, given that only about 100 T-14s have been produced so far, it's probably a fair reproduction of prototype/early production models.
The Revell model comes in their normal flimsy end opening box, and there is a lot of plastic in there.............P1060618.JPG
Where the Revell scores over the Zvezda, is in the instructions - Zvezda has 8 busy pages crammed with sub-assemblies and final assemblies in b&w. The Revell instructions are on 25 pages, with colour.P1060636.JPG
Now, as far as I have been able to find, the Armata has only appeared in Russian green, apart from one camo static version at a show. Any camouflaged version is speculative....................
I haven't had much success with these, but I've got a J's Work mask set for the Aramata, to see if I can do any better
P1060635.JPG

I'm not to going put up sprue shots, just some detail close ups....................
Dave

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No PE with this model, metal grilles would have been nice, but plastic mesh will do - 2 sizes, packed along with the clear partsP1060622.JPG
The unmanned turret has some fine detail, as has the upper hullP1060619.JPGP1060620.JPG
The lower hull also looks good, but most of this will be hidden behind wheels, tracks & skirt
P1060621.JPG
The wheels, idlers and sprockets look pretty goodP1060630.JPGP1060632.JPGP1060631.JPGP1060634.JPG
The tracks are link & length, with separate hollow guide horns to add to the inner face of the track
P1060628.JPGP1060624.JPG
Some of the smaller details are very fineP1060623.JPGP1060625.JPG

Instead of supplying a bit of string for a towing cable, they're moulded solid, which looks good enough, these cables don't flex like rope!
P1060626.JPG

One thing that doesn't look good is a few of the thin, straight bitsP1060629.JPG
That's going to be tricky to cut loose.............................
The barrel is split horizontally, but since it's covered in a thermal sleeve, then that's not too bad.
Overall the mouldings are pretty clean, any flash is on the runners, than the parts themselves ejector pins in non-visible places. Some of the sprue attachments are a bit chunky, but nothing that sharp side cutters can't cope with............
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Glad you feel up to being back at the bench. Good idea to start something fresh. Never heard of this so it will be interesting. Looks a nice kit. Hope the fit is good as well. That mask set looks fun.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There’s a build report of this kit in De Tank issue 257 of last April (the issue on that site is only a preview, with the first page of the article, BTW). The main thing I get from a quick browse is that you’ll probably struggle to put on the bar armour at the rear. To quote:
attaching the first [set of bar armour] cost me about two hours. After that it thankfully went more quickly.

The builder says to attach the stalks that hold the armour first, letting the glue dry a little so it’s tacky but not fully dry, then aligning the stalks, and only then attaching the bar armour panels. Also pay attention that you don’t confuse the left and right tracks, as their construction isn’t identical.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
I did think that the bar armour would be a bit fragile...........
The tracks are different - as noted in the instructions - because the road wheels are slightly offset left/right side, due to the torsion bar suspension not allowing the road wheels to be directly opposite to each other. This means that the road wheel to sprocket and idler track length is slightly different on each side.
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you back at the bench Dave. Looks a nice kit. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Good luck

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I did think that the bar armour would be a bit fragile...........
Judging by the photos in the article, I think you’ll need to be careful that you don’t pick the model up by it :smiling3:

The tracks are different - as noted in the instructions - because the road wheels are slightly offset left/right side, due to the torsion bar suspension
I figured that would be the reason, but the article didn’t explicitly mention it, I think. I didn’t know the instructions also point it out, but good to hear they do — the article and your sprue shots give me the impression this is a very well-engineered and -made kit.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Count me in please, as you said it looks to have some nice moulding.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off and running - I'm not following the instruction sequence, I want to complete the running gear before moving upwards.
Suspension arms & dampers etc addedP1060642.JPG
The upper hull remarkably, for such a large moulding, shows no warping ( 2 sprue runners left on to protect small pins )
P1060643.JPG
I was surprised to compare it with the T-90 ( Zvezda )
P1060638.JPG
I thought that automating the turret would make the whole tank smaller, but it is quite a bit larger than the T-90.................
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s got seven roadwheels rather than six as on the T-72 and T-90. I suppose the extra length is needed to accommodate the crew’s equipment in the hull — you could sit three side by side at the driver’s position, but all the crew-operated gear that’s normally in the turret (like the fire control system) also needs to go somewhere.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The lower hull is completed & ready for priming - the upper hull part is masked with tape, & I've put masking fluid on the axles etc, to aid glueing later.....................P1060649.JPG
Whilst I'm waiting for the priming to dry, I'm working on the tracks.
The hollow guide horns come in strips, with offset pins, so you can't get them the wrong way round.................P1060645.JPGP1060644.JPG

For the links around the sprockets/idlers, there are smaller curved lengths of guide hornsP1060646.JPG

Some nasty ejector pin marks, but they'll be hidden by the sprockets, or idlers
P1060648.JPG
There are individual links & separate guide horns for transitions between lengths, all well detailed in the instructions.
I've seen criticism of link & length tracks, in that it makes it very difficult to show the road wheels & suspension deflected. I'd say for the majority of modellers they're going to be happier with this system than individual links, and it keeps the cost down! ( I've seen the Revell Armata at <£20, + p& p )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Basecoated the lower hull & running gear. Wheels, inner sprockets/idlers etc all readied for clean up & painting the rubber bitsP1060652.JPG

Thoroughly miserable November day, wet, cold, dark - looks like the lights will be on all day.
Leaves falling...............end of the year approaching fast!
Dave

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dave,
Welcome back to the bench, and the kit looks to be more of an inspiration to you to get on and build something. Looking forward to more of your build.
Mike.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've painted all the road wheels, and my next task is the tracks - although the instructions look to work glueing the track to the wheels, I decided to try and assemble the tracks loose on the vehicle.....................P1060653.JPG
All fitting was done easily, and providing you aren't overgenerous with the cement, you can remove the completed track in one piece!P1060654.JPG
I can now finish paint the tracks, fit them, and secure them with the outer road wheels, sprocket & idler. This was just an experiment, but it seems to have worked quite well!
I suppose it makes things a bit easier, in that I can spray the tracks completely before assembly - only washes & weathering to finish. The tracks are different, side to side, so I'm doing one at a time, so I don't mix the similar parts up!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You could carve an L or an R into the top or bottom run, where it won’t be obvious :smiling3:

But yeah, good solution that will save a lot of work touching up glue stains later, I suspect.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Now that they're assembled, it's clear which tracks belong to which side, it was only when the individual parts were loose, you could have problems!
So far this is proving to be very well engineered - some of the sprue attachments are quite large & need careful clean up, but the fit ( so far ) is very good..........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lower hull essentially finished - tracks added & held in place by the outer wheels etcP1060656.JPG
I don't think I'd make tracks the same way again - in one piece, too fiddly - 2 or 3 pieces would be better. ( I have the T-90MS in the stash, with similar running gear, so I know now ). The large side skirts cover a lot of the tracks, so not much will be seen, the idler not at all...............
I can now put the lower hull aside & move on to the upper deck & more interesting bits
Dave
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Always the least fun part of AFV modelling, if you ask me, the suspension … But it looks like it came out alright :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A belated update - my wireless router decided yesterday afternoon that it had reached the end of it's life. I've managed to replace it pretty quickly ( and not that expensively :tongue-out3: ), and I'm now back in touch with the outside world. Due to not being distracted by the computer, progress was pretty good
Lots of bits added to the upper decking, and upper & lower hull unitedP1060657.JPGP1060658.JPG
Those skirts hide a lot! The plastic mesh grille worked far better than I expected - better then PE, as it's actually woven mesh like the real part. There are still a few parts to add to the hull - all the clear parts & guards for the lights, prisms etc, but I'm going to leave them off until I've sprayed the camo. ( eases the masking ).
Dave

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,
Nice work so far. I don't know what the square recesses are either side of the mantlet are but they look like one hell of a shot trap.