Review: Life Color 'Rust and Dust' Set (for Jakko)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So back in November 2019 when I got these, Jakko said he was interested to know how I got on with them. So better late than never I thought it was about time I posted a ‘review’.

I’ve not done any major reviews before and I’m far from a modelling or paint expert, so if I’ve missed anything then please forgive me and ask me to comment on what I’ve missed.

I’ll included some pictures below of the paint and effects I’ve achieved with the paints – for better or worse. These will be in a second post as I’ve hit the site's post character limit (it’s 10,000 by the way).

All the best.

Andrew

-------------------------------------------------

So why this set?
I came across this set on the channel of Michael Kovac aka ‘Uncle’ Night Shift. https://www.youtube.com/c/NightShiftScaleModels/featured

For those of you who’ve not heard of him he’s a Slovakian modeller. His channel has only been going for about three years (130k subscribers) but earlier this year it got to the point where he could go full time on it. Whilst he may not be the ‘best’ modeller in the world (if there is such a person), I like him for a number of reasons:
  • Even if he isn’t the ‘best’ he is very talented.
  • He’s more than willing to admit he doesn’t know it all, that he is still learning and points out where he’s made mistakes.
  • He doesn’t push any particular brand and uses what he thinks does the best job – plus he’s willing to take risks and experiment.
  • He’s not afraid to say he if he doesn’t get on with a particular product a manufacturer has sent him to test – but he always does it nicely.
  • He is open about a couple of companies that sponsor him but it sounds like he started using their products before getting sponsored by them.
  • Perhaps best of all, he has a VERY self-deprecating sense of humour and some personality unlike some I’ve seen/heard.

In the demo of this set (see below) he made two claims:
  • It is quite simply the best ‘rust’ set he’d ever seen
  • It will last forever.

I try not to get sucked in by every recommendation I see but the results were very good and Martin bought them with his own money, and so wasn’t promoting the set. So took a punt and splashed out some of my hard-earned cash on it.

What you get
So, for your money you six 22ml pots of water based acrylic paints, in plastic pots with screw top lids (size wise think Tamiya XF paints pots and you won’t be very far off).

The colours you get are:
  • UA 701 Rust Dark Shadow. This is a mid-brown. The closet matches I have are Vallejo Model 984 Flat Brown or Tamiya Nato XF 68 Nato Brown but to my eye UA701 looks ever so slightly darker with a touch less red in it.

• UA 702 Rust Base Color. This is reddish brown. The closest match I have is Humbrol Enamel H113 Rust but UA702 looks very slightly ‘brighter’ and is a touch redder.

• UA 703 Rust Light Shadow 1. I can best describe this as a terracotta colour. The closest match I have is Vallejo Model Air V71.129 Light Rust although UA703 is again looks very slightly ‘brighter’ and with a touch more orange to it.

• UA 704 Rust Light shadow 2. I can best describe this as a very dark yellow or even a very muted and light orange. The ‘closest’ match I personally have is Revell’s enamel R88 Ochre Brown but UA704 definitely has more yellow/orange to it and again looks a bit brighter.

• UA 705 Dust Type 1. This is an off white with a very slight red hint to it (at least to my eyes). Unfortunately, I have nothing even close to it to give you a comparison with other than to say it is definitely not a ‘pure’ white.

• UA 706 Dust Type 2.. Again, this is an off white with a very slight yellow hint to it (at least to my eyes). Again, I have nothing even close to it to compare with – sorry!

Whilst these are supposedly ‘Rust and dust’ colours, they will obviously do the job if you need the colour for something else.

Consistency.
Definitely thinner than Vallejo Model Colour and thicker than Model Air. To my eye they look pretty close to my one pot of Tamiya XF paint.

Coverage.
One of the things Martin commented on right at the start of his review is just how surprisingly pigment heavy this paint is and I have to agree with him

I’ve only used with a hairy stick and not through an AB. Coverage of the neat paint in three darker colours was good although three lighter ones less so, although perhaps understandable (see below DIY swatches). As you’ll see below on the tracks and other examples, I’ve mainly used it as washes rather than neat, so I’ve not given it extensive trials in its normal un-thinned state. Because the paint is so pigment heavy it takes a lot of water/thinner to get them to wash consistency.

Techniques Martin Kovac and I have used
So, I need to confess that at this point I’ve only used the ‘rust’ colours, so I’ll have no complaints if you cry ‘review fraud’ at this point!

Martin demonstrated a technique using a thin wash either by painting/slopping it on and also speckling the tracks using a toothpick and paintbrush. He started with the lightest coat first and then getting darker – using all four paints. Apparently, this is light to dark technique is one recommended by Mike Rinaldi.

I’ve tried a number of variations of the technique on tracks, sometimes over flat black surfaces, sometimes over metallic surfaces and some over metallic surface covered in my home brew very dark brown wash that creates a dull metal effect before the rust is applied (as demonstrated on my BoB build).

I tried varying the order, what paints I used – sometimes only two or three – and even applying my wash over the top (see examples below).

Availability & price
When I was looking to het this set availability was VERY problematic. In the end I had to order specifically and waited around six weeks for delivery, not sure why. I do though see that it now looks like it’s more readily available.

Price wise it you’re looking at around £18-20 incl. P&P in the UK. That works out at about £3.20 per pot.

Verdict
At this point I should say I’ve not used Life Colour before and so have no axe to grind on that front.

I can’t say if It is quite simply the best ‘rust’ set I’ve ever seen, as it’s the only one I’ve ever used. No doubt though there are others out there that claim to be the best ‘rust and dust’ set ever but I’ll let you be the judges.

What I can say is that the technique demonstrated by Martin Kovac is very simple and produces great results – great for modelling novices.

Also, when you consider the set has four colours, combine that with the range of base coats you could theoretically use, the varying order you could apply the paint in and then think about the different application methods, whilst you might not have an infinite number of options – you won’t short of them either.

So, will it last for ever as Martin Kovac said?

Firstly, I seem to recall seeing some people have issues with Life Color paints drying out. I’ve only had mine for 15 months but so far, they appear to be lasting okay.

Ultimately it of course depends upon how much use them but the fact the suggested technique is to use them as a wash they should last a long time.

As I said above, it takes a surprising amount of water/thinner to get them to wash consistency and so I often have some of the mixture left in the pallet. So as not to waste it, I just simply pour it back into the pot and so far, have suffered no ill effect. So that combined with the fact I normally do 1/72, mine should be lasting a while!

Should you buy it?
If you’re an experienced modeller with all the tools and paints already, and have a good sound technique that works, I don’t honestly think you will gain much – but I may be wrong of course.

If you’re modelling novice, are looking to find the right effect or are struggling with rust paints, then I would recommend giving this set a go.

Over to you
Since I started putting this review together, it has transpired that our very own Tim Marlow uses them and likes them too. Given his experience and great skills, I’ve asked him to add his own thoughts below. Thanks again Tim.

Similarly, if you’ve used the set and have any other comments or recommendations, then please feel free to explain them below and post a few example shots.

If you have any other rust techniques then I don’t mind a short description of it below but please don’t post any pictures. Sorry but I want this thread to be about this particular set.

Pictures to follow shortly….

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

And now for part 2 of this review. The video that started it, the paints and some examples of how it turned out.

All the best.

Andrew

---------------

Video

So this is the demo that started it all…..

The paint set.

The colours you’ll see below are an almost perfect match to the reality, if a touch on the light side.

49015612442_8c8402e66b_b.jpg

50844442812_382bc63350_b.jpg

50844442772_f48936c42b_b.jpg

50844360121_bcce78d098_b.jpg

50843630193_c50a77a144_b.jpg

Some examples of my efforts….

Spitfire exhausts

Some of you may have seen this on the Spitfire I did for the Battle of Britain Group Build. The technique works something like this:
  • Black Vallejo primer – normally brush painted;
  • a very light wash of Humbrol 53 Gun Metal (enamel) – the lighter the better;
  • then a wash, or two, or three of an off black/very dark brown made from a mix of Revell acrylic Dark Earth and Black;
  • where a warn/rust effect is required follow with a light wash of some of Life Color’s rust colours to your taste.

As I said above, the effect can be varied to an almost infinite degree depending on how heavy the enamel wash is, how many coats of off-black you do, what rust colours you use and in what order/

An example of a 'clean' metal finish:

50352926336_cb6d84c20d_c.jpg

The finished exhausts:

50292819653_3c28517fcf_b.jpg

Panzer IV exhausts

In this case this was some thins coats, a bit thicker than a ‘proper’ wash, over the original camo. The left hand one hand an extra coat of UA 701 Rust Dark Shadow compared to the right hand one for a bit of variation.

50523244093_52d4958a03_b.jpg

Tracks.

When I first got the set, I had a load of tracks to paint up, so I used that as an opportunity to have a good test.

Some of these have been painted over tracks as described above. Some didn’t have the Revell off-black wash applied over the enamel gun metal before the rust colours went on and so came out much brighter. Some went on over a black base coat and some had a very light wash of the Revell off-black wash applied after the rust.

A ‘clean’ set.

49339714742_3a76dd719a_b.jpg

Now the rusty ones:

Some of these are part way through the process, some are finished.

49335074578_0b3eb82eea_b.jpg

The finished products.....some of which are no doubt a bit too bright for real life but give an idea of the various affects you can achieve, subtle or otherwise....

49339027783_019c2a57e2_b.jpg

49339713032_f75ebac55a_b.jpg

49339490221_c00869dabb_b.jpg

49339033168_06937c5101_b.jpg

49339016048_5b8e2b7e25_b.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Same as Bob really. Watch his stuff all the time.

Thanks for the review Andrew. It was on my 'get' list already but you've all but confirmed it now.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I used this set....very impressed.

Attachments

• 00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200630130048603_COVER.jpg
    00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200630130048603_COVER.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 15

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Andrew

Well written!

Watched a lot of Martins stuff, and he presents very well.

Bob

Thank you very much and glad you liked it, not having done such an in-depth review before I was a bit nervous......

I like him a lot, I watch him so much I've recently started supporting him on Patreon for the minimum $1 a month, given that it is his job now.

Same as Bob really. Watch his stuff all the time.

Thanks for the review Andrew. It was on my 'get' list already but you've all but confirmed it now.

Alan

Glad you found it useful and hope you like it as much as I do when you get around to getting it.

I used this set....very impressed.
Thanks Del for taking the time to comment and posting the picture.

That's come out very nicely indeed!

Thank you all again.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would agree with most everything Andrew has written here.
Some additional comments as follows:
I’ve had my set for about six years and they are as good as the day I bought them. I only ever work with the paint in the lid because on the sort of models I make rust is only ever an accent or highlight. I think these paints may well outlast me :thumb2:
I‘ve never sprayed them, just brush painted with them. They flow excellently and are easy to clean up. Consistency is brush ready from the pot. Drying time is slightly longer than Vallejo, but not too long as to become tedious.
I personally use them from dark to light, like any other paint I use.
The light shadow 2 can be successfully used for special effects. Wetting the surface to be painted, then spotting dilute LS2 onto the surface can generate very effective fresh rust blooms over old rust. Also, using very dilute LS2 as a pin wash on steel parts gives a good impression of steel starting to rust in crevices and joins.
Another worthwhile trick, especially on things like rusted exhausts is to recreated the bluing that is sometimes present. This can be done by painting the part in shadow, base and LH1 to bring out texture and shape, then using a glaze of Prussian blue over it.
I’ve not really used the dust shades much, preferring pastels for that sort of effect, but diluted they can give a good dusty track appearance, especially if you highlight wear areas with a 2B pencil.
in summary, I find these almost indispensable for rust effects. Yes, you can use normal paint, but these save a lot of mixing time and are capable of many different effects. They dry dead Matt as well.
They get a big thumbs up from me:thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I would agree with most everything Andrew has written here.
Some additional comments as follows:
I’ve had my set for about six years and they are as good as the day I bought them. I only ever work with the paint in the lid because on the sort of models I make rust is only ever an accent or highlight. I think these paints may well outlast me :thumb2:
I‘ve never sprayed them, just brush painted with them. They flow excellently and are easy to clean up. Consistency is brush ready from the pot. Drying time is slightly longer than Vallejo, but not too long as to become tedious.
I personally use them from dark to light, like any other paint I use.
The light shadow 2 can be successfully used for special effects. Wetting the surface to be painted, then spotting dilute LS2 onto the surface can generate very effective fresh rust blooms over old rust. Also, using very dilute LS2 as a pin wash on steel parts gives a good impression of steel starting to rust in crevices and joins.
Another worthwhile trick, especially on things like rusted exhausts is to recreated the bluing that is sometimes present. This can be done by painting the part in shadow, base and LH1 to bring out texture and shape, then using a glaze of Prussian blue over it.
I’ve not really used the dust shades much, preferring pastels for that sort of effect, but diluted they can give a good dusty track appearance, especially if you highlight wear areas with a 2B pencil.
in summary, I find these almost indispensable for rust effects. Yes, you can use normal paint, but these save a lot of mixing time and are capable of many different effects. They dry dead Matt as well.
They get a big thumbs up from me:thumb2:
Tim

Thank you for taking the time to comment and one thing I had missed, in that they are very matt.

Thanks also for the additional tips. I'll add them to the list of things to try out.

Your input is much appreciated.

All the best.

Andrew

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andrew many thanks extremely well presented ,although I don't own their paint set I do use their liquid pigment rust effects set , no good for painting with but love the rust effects that can be achieve ,you tube has a couple of excellent vids on using their liquid pigments worth a blimp. Once again many thanks very informative. Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew many thanks extremely well presented ,although I don't own their paint set I do use their liquid pigment rust effects set , no good for painting with but love the rust effects that can be achieve ,you tube has a couple of excellent vids on using their liquid pigments worth a blimp. Once again many thanks very informative. Dave
David

No problem at all and thank you for the compliment.

I've not heard of their liquid pigments, so I'll have a look and see what they're like.

Thank you again for stopping by and for the recommendation.

All the best.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
I have the liquid pigment set for aircraft panel lines and weathering and simply don’t get on with it. Could you do an SBS next time you use them so I can see what I’m doing wrong?

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A fascinating blog Andrew. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Thanks again for the tip. Looks interesting - especially that thinner/remove fluid that allows you blend it in or even remove it outright.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
A fascinating blog Andrew. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing
Steve

Thanks you very much for the feedback. As I said at the start I've never really done one quite to this depth before.

All the best.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Dave

Thanks again for the tip. Looks interesting - especially that thinner/remove fluid that allows you blend it in or even remove it outright.

ATB.

Andrew
The trouble I have with the one I’ve got is that the remover fluid removes the liquid pigment.......and the paint......and the primer! It seems very like airbrush cleaner to me!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The trouble I have with the one I’ve got is that the remover fluid removes the liquid pigment.......and the paint......and the primer! It seems very like airbrush cleaner to me!
That's not good!

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sorry Andrew, , Tim have you watched the YouTube vids I've had no problems working over acrylic or lacquer paints ,saying that I've hardly ever used the remover ,and don't follow the vids to the letter but used them as a guide line then do my own thing with them. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not seen them Dave. Could you post a link please?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not seen them Dave. Could you post a link please?
Hi Tim, I've watched a couple. I'm it at the moment but will post links when I have a minute.

ATB.

Andrew